1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which one?

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by Xer0 SiN, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    howzit fellas (and ladies). im in the market to pick up an atv. no real reason on WHY or NEED to get it. just want one to ride around with the acreage i have here. i had a honda trx450r. and i thought it was a pretty good bike. im a pretty big guy and it could throw me around if i got on it. on the same token its not something i would want to pack lightly my little one around (not driving hard all over the creation, just ride around slowly around the house) because the clutch was way too aggressive and it kicks hard. what i have in mind was another honda but this time, a utility atv. what do you giys think about the honda rubicon? how about that vs rincon vs suzuki king quad? had those three in mind, but am open to other bikes if the consensus feels its a better bike.

sidenote: what do you guys think about sxs?

2. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    We have an 01 Rubicon and an 05 Rubicon. They are both great bikes. The automatic is awesome and you can switch them over to electric shift so it has five gears just like a normal bike, plus it has a high and low range. I, personally, do not like the Rincon. My uncle has an 09, I think. I never have liked the way it shifts. It doesn't have a low range like the rubicon and sometimes it sounds like it holds the gear too long when its in automatic. Like the rubicon, you can change it to electric shift but it only has three gears and they are so spaced out, you are better off putting it in 2nd and leaving it there. Something else that I dont like about the rincon that I do about the rubicon, is that going down hills the rubicon's transmission will hold the bike back whereas the rincon freewheels and you have to ride the brakes alot. I don't have any experience with the suzuki other than one of my friends own one and he seems to like it. We have always bought honda up until our yamaha rhino and we have always had good luck with the hondas 4-wheelers. I wasn't as impressed with the honda sidexside which is why we went yamaha. Another bike that is good is the 500 foreman. Its basically the rubicon without the automatic. The motor is a hair smaller also, 475cc vs. 499cc, but I doubt you would ever notice the difference.

3. Jan 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    this and that...
    thank you. that was a very informative post. i think im gonna go ahead and get the rubi. honestly, everytime i read about the rubicon its always something good; always praising the transmission. i love manuals and i loved the 450r but in this case, i welcome the super smooth shifting trans, in case i want to pack my son around the house. i dont want it kicking hard and possibly hurting my son. thank you again.

4. Jan 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    No problem man.

5. Jan 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    700 grizzly with eps best quad made. if your stuck on honda go with the 420 rancher, not sure if rubicon is still carb, but go with efi. yamaha and honda are the best made atvs.

6. Jan 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I think honda went efi on everything now. I know for a fact that the new 500 foremans and the rincons are efi, so I imagine the rubicons are also.

7. Jan 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    rubicons still carb. if he can buy gas without ethenol, or use startron should be fine. just make sure you do regular oil changes as the oil also runs the transmission.

8. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    this and that...
    yes , i read the new rubicons come with carbs. it seems like everything else is efi. i really like the rubi, but then on the same token it seems like the foreman 500 is the exact same thing sans the hondamatic trans and the small displacement difference, but it does come efi.

i just got my pre approval from honda financial, so i guess ill definately be picking up a honda now, since iw as looking at polaris' too lol. now the i guess im backt o square one; which one should i get?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  9. Jan 22, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    Southern01Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    That's crazy, I didn't know that the rubicon doesn't have efi. Can you still get the foreman in foot shift or does it only come in electric? If it only comes in electric, I would say stick with the rubicon because running the electric shift while trying to hold on to something (your son) is quite difficult. But if you can get the foot shift then I would go with that so you get the efi.

10. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    this and that...
    ok things seemed to have changed my friends. i think im gonna venture down the polaris route and get a ranger. i test drove everything thst appealed to me when i went into kiser today. the rancher at is very nice, with the irs, power steering, and 5spd trans. its seems too small for me. the rincon is nice. i was instantly drawn to it. seems like the 3spd trans is the down point for me cause there is no low-low. the 4 disc brakes, bigger motor, and plusher ride is want got me. alas, the one that originally wanted me to go put and spend money on an atv, the rubi! the rubi is a very nice bike. i wouldve definately jumped and bought it if it was efi and irs. the lack of disc brakes shied me away also. it rides nice though, that trans is super smooth.

ive ultimately turned my attention to sidebys. i really like the pioneer. thats a nice piece of machine right there. unfortunately honda capped me at a limit for a rubicon when i applied for my ore approval with them lol. which brought me to the rangers: the new 570 and the 800. tomorrow im going to pick one of them up. i would like to know if any of you have experience with these two machines.

11. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    MARSHBUSTER

MARSHBUSTER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alamogordo NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4X4 Tacoma TRD
    Grill Gaurd/ Winch Bumper, Mile Marker 9000 LBS Winch, Custom Head Ache Rack, Custom Rear Bumper, Marathon Camo Max 4 Seat Covers
    I have a 2009 Honda Foreman 500 with Power Steering, It still has a carb but I do believe the new Foremans are EFI. I really LIKE my Foreman and the Power Steering makes a HUGE difference.

12. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    this and that...
    marsh: the foreman 500 is a nice one too. unfortunately, they had none with powersteering in stock.

To Top