LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

atv vs. motorcycle

Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
atv vs. motorcycle

this past winter i bought a new honda recon for hunting and whatever. one month ago we moved on to our new 1700 acre ranch, and the past owner had about 800 acres logged, so we now have a lot of trails and different roads. i had to give my wife the recon so she would be able to ride whenever she wants, and now im stuck with nothing. heres where i need the help im looking for a new ride, either a atv or some kinda dirt bike, all suggestions welcome
Old 05-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Atv
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
bike
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
if you cant use the recon, get another atv since you're going to be using it for hunting. I don't think bikes are very good for transporting whatever hunting gear you need to take out with you.

if you can use the recon whenever you are hunting, get a bike.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
i can still use hers for hunting, thats not really that big of a deal i can pretty much drive my truck anywhere now
Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
go bike then!

variety is the spice of life.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Beef Slut

Firefighter:

or

these are the 2 bikes im looking at havent really looked at any new atvs yet but tell me what yall think!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What sizes are those?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
230cc
Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Both are good bikes. I have heard nothing but good things on the Honda CRF series and my son has a Yamaha TT-R125 and I have a Yamaha WR426. Just make sure that the bike is not so small that you will "outgrow" the bike in a month when you are more comfortable on it and run it a little faster. Have you ridden much on bikes or were you mainly a quad guy?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
i used to race mx lite class 125 and 250 class, till i came off a 14 ft jump at my home practice track the wrong way
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
i used to race mx lite class 125 and 250 class, till i came off a 14 ft jump at my home practice track the wrong way
Then you might wanna go for the Honda. When I was looking at them they seemed a little more aggressive and the TT-R series from Yamaha, while a great bike, is more geared a soley trail riding. That or move up to the 450F's
Old 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
well i will mainly be doing just trail riding and taking it easy, ive learned to slow down a little more now days. have you had any problems from the yamaha
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No problems yet. this is his second, up to the 125 from a 90cc. I have had my WR426 since 2002 with just regular maint. she seems to be a beast I do love my Yamaha but my dad has been running his 1989 XR250 and other than a minor oil leak the Honda seems just about bullet proof. I still contend the Honda might be a little better in the ~230cc size, above that it is jsut personal preference. Yamaha was offering I think $200-$400 off on a lot of bikes to try to get rid of some of them, I don't know what Honda is offering. Good luck!!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
thanks man, ive had pretty good luck with honda here lately, back in the day my main stroke was the yz 125 and 250
Old 05-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In the end they are both good if not great bikes. If you take care of them they will more than likely run very well for a long time. It almost comes down to brand loyalty after a while, well that and personal preference. We did consider Honda for our son Tyler but Yamaha just made us a deal I could not pass on.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Couple things...why air-cooled? What size are you?

Look into the KTM200. It is an AWESOME bike for casual trail riders or aggressive enthusiasts. It is also a 2-stroke and has very minimal maintenance required.
If you are a big guy (220#+), I would recommend the KTM300.

It is a very tame bike and great for lugging around on trails or through the woods. It does not need to be rev'ed like the smaller 125's do. The newer 200's have electric start too.

The bikes you posted are not capable of a wide variety of riding. They pretty much just cruise up and down the logging roads. If you ever wanted to be more aggressive and try a small hill or go faster on the trails, you'll wish you had a better bike. Those are great for beginners but you will grow out of it fast.

The 200 comes with a headlight, odometer/speedometer, taillight and can even be legalized for street in some states.

If you want the 4-stroke, look at a Honda CRF250x. It is very capable of riding fast but is very easy for beginners.

2009 KTM 200 xc-w

2009 CRF250x
Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Polaris rzr!! I want one wicked bad, but don't have that kinda money.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
I have a CRF230F, got it new about a year and a half ago. I use it to transport around the farm and to have fun on trails. If you are using it for transportation on a regular basis there is no question that you want one of these instead of a liquid cooled anything. There is practically no maintence and the bikes are bullet-proof. Most people around here who ride frequently have one of these and ride them daily while keeping the 250s/450s garaged for special occasions because they just arent made for daily use.

Plus with a simple rejet of the carb and spark arrestor removal you'll have more than enough power to do anything you want and the low center of gravity and lower ride height make it much more comfortable and friendly. You can putt around going from place to place or fly and be comfortable either way. Part of my normal trail to another part of the farm has a hill thats too steep to stand on and about 100 feet long and I fly up it without a bit of hesitation.

I've rode mine on a daily basis for 18 months and haven't had to do anything but change the oil a couple times (synthetic). Valves have needed no adjustments. The thing starts right up no matter what and you get great milage.

Its much better than the liquid cooled 4 strokes which are all designed for racing and require constant valve adjustments, oil changes and rebuilds.

The Honda 230 has more power, better suspension, and a lighter weight compared to the yamaha, and more importantly better reliability.

Also you can get a headlight or street legal kit for pretty little money.