Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Helmet Recommendation

Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Helmet Recommendation

I'm looking for a helmet for ATV'n and Downhill MTB'n. It has to be super light, comfortable, and I really don't want to pay Arai/Shoei prices. What's everyone have or thoughts on which helmet you might get next?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Hops is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabe
Hops's Tacoma Gallery
I wear a shoei V-moto and i love it but it is a little pricey. I really like the new Klim F4 helmets. They retail for about 300 bucks and they have the sickest ventilation system ive ever seen. I wouldnt spend much less than that because you definitly get what you pay for when it comes to helmets...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I wouldnt spend much less than that because you definitly get what you pay for when it comes to helmets...
That's what I'm afraid of. It is my mellon, and I've only got one of them.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Hops is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabe
Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i work in an atv dealership and when people try to buy a cheap helmet i ask them how much is there head worth.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I wouldnt spend much less than that because you definitly get what you pay for when it comes to helmets...
To a point...When you pay for a shoei or an arai- You pay for the name and the lighter frame.

I paid 225 or so for my Scorpion and have complete faith in it. I'm not going to get the Walmart special and ride with it...but I'm not going to set a dollar value that makes it "safe" or "not safe"

I gave Ed my low down on the Scorpion I have- I really love it- Comfortable, Great Visor selection with a really nice quick swap system. They also stood by their warranty-I had a plastic vent that cracked inside at the base of the threads- Un-replaceable part and had a new helmet within a week.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
To a point...When you pay for a shoei or an arai- You pay for the name and the lighter frame.

I paid 225 or so for my Scorpion and have complete faith in it. I'm not going to get the Walmart special and ride with it...but I'm not going to set a dollar value that makes it "safe" or "not safe"
+2 on not cheapin out on the brain bucket.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had an HJC FS-15, and it was a great helmet. Plenty of ventilation, and was the most comfortable on my mellon. Its a street bike helmet, but you could try some HJC's on and see how they fit. I can testify for their durability, as my Wife has hit me in the head with many hard objects (with my helmet on), and it offered superior protection, and sound dampening. Also, with it on, I couldnt hear her screaming at me.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I had an HJC FS-15, and it was a great helmet. Plenty of ventilation, and was the most comfortable on my mellon. Its a street bike helmet, but you could try some HJC's on and see how they fit. I can testify for their durability, as my Wife has hit me in the head with many hard objects (with my helmet on), and it offered superior protection, and sound dampening. Also, with it on, I couldnt hear her screaming at me.
That's awesome!!! I've been looking into them as well. From what I'm told, they make alot of other brands as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Addicted Mod'r
ToyoComp is on a distinguished road

ToyoComp's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Fox V3 (Motocross) and love it! Had an HJC prior to that but there is a definite weight advantage for the Fox. Main thing is to try them on as the shape of your head will not fit the same in different makes.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for HJC. It is what everyone in my family has worn, motorbike riding, atv, & sledding. My friend Chris who owns a dealership swears by them as well. They have several different models & configurations. I have personally worn a CL-14, 15 & now own a Sessions full face. You would probably want a moto style correct? I do not think you would be disappointed with HJC.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
As long as it is DOT and Snell approved you will be fine no matter if you pay $100 or $300, they all have to meet the same minimum standards and hardly any brands go above and beyond those standards. The differences are usually just comfort and looks not safety.

I wear a Fox helmet, I've landed on my head a couple of times and never had a problem with my head or the helmet .
Old 05-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
As long as it is DOT and Snell approved you will be fine no matter if you pay $100 or $300, they all have to meet the same minimum standards and hardly any brands go above and beyond those standards. The differences are usually just comfort and looks not safety.

I wear a Fox helmet, I've landed on my head a couple of times and never had a problem with my head or the helmet .
So she says...Did you get the helmet inspected or replaced after the landing??
Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i have been using an hjc full face for my street bikes. no issues yet, but i havent fallen on my head either the dealer gave me a free scorpion with my cruiser purchase, i dont care for it much.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
So she says...Did you get the helmet inspected or replaced after the landing??
In fact I bought a new one
Actually I've bought a new one every year even if I didn't land on it, I buy new gear all the time.
What I was saying is my helmet protected my head sufficiently that I was not injured and my helmet did not crack in half or anything like that.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
In fact I bought a new one
Actually I've bought a new one every year even if I didn't land on it, I buy new gear all the time.
What I was saying is my helmet protected my head sufficiently that I was not injured and my helmet did not crack in half or anything like that.
New helmet every year...NICE. I'm a bit of a gear whore too...Two jackets, Three sets of gloves, Two sets of boots. haven't bought pants yet...but I'm sure I will....Once I stop spending money on the truck....
Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #16
gunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant future

gunner_20's Tacoma Gallery
I had an HJC when i rode street bikes. Got in a wreck and landed on my shoulder and head area. Helmet held up from impact. So im a little bit of an HJC fan.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #17
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
It's tough to use personal experience to determine a helmets level of protection. I had a top-of-the-line HJC AC-X2 on during a wreck on my dirt bike last year.

I hit ice on a corner and was slammed into the ground. I was out cold for 7 minutes and woke up only feeling half of my body. I don't remember the next 3 days.

HJC has been criticized for being too hard of a helmet - actually all SNELL approved helmets have been criticized. The Snell rating helps protect helmets during multiple hits - like rolling down the pavement with your head bouncing off the pavement. For off-road purposes, it would be better if the helmet absorbed the impact and didn't transfer the impact to the head (as in my case). Look into helmets with the ECE rating. These are independently tested and more directed to off-road use.

You can read more about the Snell rating making helmets too hard:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Here is my helmet new...

Here is where my head hit.... You can see that the foam was so stiff, it cracked. I feel it should have absorbed more of the impact. The shell doesn't even indicate a hit. I also feel it should've buckeled a bit.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #18
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
As for recommendations...

Look for the Bell Moto 8. These can be found for $150 and are just as good as any Arai or Shoei - which are good but pricey.

Another awesome brand to look into is Suomy. These are BSI certified, which means they are batch tested.

You can find some good deals on eBay but you don't get to try them on. I have gone to a local shop and tried one on but bought from ebay (shop owners don't like this so buy something while you're there). Look for closeouts or clearance.