Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

wood ramps

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
wildforager is on a distinguished road
wildforager's Tacoma Gallery
wood ramps

On to the next topic. I am interested in purchasing a set of these DIY ramp things:

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...A3664A0A0.aspx

However, I am concerned that a wood plank will not hold my ATV. Does anyone know if I can use these things, and wood with an '08 Rancher (585lbs)?

I'm afraid the wood will just snap under load.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend getting a good heavy duty aluminium or steel folding one. Me and my foreman up the ramp onto the tailgate are 850+lbs and everytime I have a smile after putting it in the back
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
look at wal mart i bought a decent set of folding ramps for like 70 bucks or try discountramps.com i wouldn't trust those either you never know when a board is gonna go you could get hurt not to mention destroy a tailgate if one gave out
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildforager View Post
On to the next topic. I am interested in purchasing a set of these DIY ramp things:

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...A3664A0A0.aspx

However, I am concerned that a wood plank will not hold my ATV. Does anyone know if I can use these things, and wood with an '08 Rancher (585lbs)?

I'm afraid the wood will just snap under load.

Thanks.
They should hold up fine
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i was thinking the same thing my 07 420 two wheel manual is only around 400
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Resident Jackass
have you had any rear end problems on your rancher sorry to thread jack
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
never. Only thing is sometimes it doesnt want to go into reverse with the electric shift. It will go in manually no problem though. Used to have a snorkel on it and take it in deep water all the time, worked fine even after that lol. Id replace all the fluids and stuff after though.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Resident Jackass
mine started popping and hanging up two weeks out of warranty hond wants nothing to do with it fluid looks good its been that way for a year now i know im on borrowed time it'll go out when im 10 miles from civilzation my luck
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
They work fine. I used them for my GSXR-1000 on one plank. I think 2x10. In fact I have a set laying around the garage. Where are you located?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't bother with the wood ramps. It worth the extra money to buy something you know is going to be safe. If you have ever been on a quad going up the ramps and having one break its pretty dangerous. The first time it happened to me I was lucky I wasn't far enough up the ramp for it to cause the quad to flip but it was close. I got my metal ramps for about $100 they hold 1000 lbs each and have a strap that connects each ramp to the truck so they dont slide out from under you.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
paulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Name: paul
paulm09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
go with the metal ramps. the wood ones can break and they get real slippery with mud or snow on them. try harborfrieght.com i got mine there for under 60 bucks.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
They work fine. I used them for my GSXR-1000 on one plank. I think 2x10. In fact I have a set laying around the garage. Where are you located?
I'm in Virginia.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I use 2 8x12 for my Ariens snowblower. They work fine but are a pain to haul in abd out. I should have kicked in the extra cash for the folding ones. Someday. I say get folding ones. Way better in the long run.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm09tacoma View Post
go with the metal ramps. the wood ones can break and they get real slippery with mud or snow on them. try harborfrieght.com i got mine there for under 60 bucks.
My concern with the cheaper ramps, which don't fold in half, is transporting them when I have the atv in the truck. I don't think there is any room to carry them. I could buy the cheap metal racks, and a rack carrier. The other option is to get a more expensive set of ramps, which fold in half.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
I remember when all we had was wood ramps. Make sure you get at least a 2x10 though. It wouldn't hurt to brace it with a 2x4 underneath to minimize flexing. Don't forget eyelet bolts and straps from the ramps to the truck so they don't slip out on the way up, or down.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I have used 2 2x10 boards to load a CRF250r and a 200exc. I purchased the metal pieces at Lowes for $25 (2 in a pack). The boards are very sturdy and I walk up one as I push the bike up the other. They flex a lot and my bikes only weigh 250ish. I wouldn't exceed 400# on them.

If you can spend the money, get an aluminum ramp. If not, put a support board under the ramp. Maybe tack a 2x2 along the length of the underside of the ramp.

I would prefer the aluminum ramps but they run about $250+.

If you do use the wooden ramp, waterproof it with paint. I also added kitty litter to my paint to give it some grip. It's heavy but doesn't flex as much as my non-painted ramp.

Products Discussed in this Thread