Notices

Extreme lift for 81 Pick Up

View Poll Results: go with what lift ?
AllPro "Extreme Lift" 1 16.67%
Trail Gear " IFS Eliminator Kit" 4 66.67%
other 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Yota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant future
Name: Jesse
Yota_dvl's Tacoma Gallery
Extreme lift for 81 Pick Up

So I just bought an 81 pick up. I'm Just looking for a cheap, durable, trusted, 5" lift... cause its sittin a little stock needs a ground clearance kit. I want something BIG! All Pro has an " Extreme Lift" for 79-85 pickups for around $ 1700- - - Trail-Gear has their IFS Eliminator Kit for around $1100, but I dunno if it would fully work work for me ( tryied calling and no one picks up the phone!) does anyone know a good solutions to my problem? like someone else to go threw or any special promo codes to make it cheaper?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
yes the ifs eliminator kit has parts in it that you can use.

that is most definitely not the cheapest route. I have studyed up on this for about 3 months and came to the conclusion that I'll be doing RUF (rears up front) and 63" chevys in the back. when all finished it will net me 4-5" of lift and allow me to run 35's with no problem.

any questions... ask away, there are also a couple handfulls of other people here with good experience on this. I have gotten most of my info on this from Marlin crawler forum and Pirate4x4.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
That trail gear looks bad ass but you need a custom front drive shaft. I think the same thing goes for the Allpro.

The Allpro comes with the 4 billies while the trail gear only has two.

Tough choice man. I would keep trying with the TG people. I am leaning towards that.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Yota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
yes the ifs eliminator kit has parts in it that you can use.

that is most definitely not the cheapest route. I have studyed up on this for about 3 months and came to the conclusion that I'll be doing RUF (rears up front) and 63" chevys in the back. when all finished it will net me 4-5" of lift and allow me to run 35's with no problem.

any questions... ask away, there are also a couple handfulls of other people here with good experience on this. I have gotten most of my info on this from Marlin crawler forum and Pirate4x4.
Mind going into more detail on to what a RUF fully is? cheaper most deffantly catches my eye! i am lookin to fit some 35's (BIG MAYBE 37's but for sure 35's )
Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The diff is the alpro extreme lift is a full kit Front and rear. That trail gear ifs eliminator kit is Front lift only.

I have also heard the trail gear springs tend to wear faster then the ap or marlin but that will hold true for any of them if you do not extend your bumpstops.

if you go with trail gear you will only need the "classic front lift" because your 81 is already set up for a SFA.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

Marines:
Good info Mr. West.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
East Bound and Down

ok my RUF setup will be:

My stock rear springs mixed together with another set of rear springs from an 88 4runner. pack configuration - 1st leaf: 84 1st leaf, 2nd leaf: 84 2nd leaf, 3rd leaf: 84 3rd leaf, 4th leaf: 88 1st leaf cut down 5th leaf: 88 3rd leaf cut down and maybe a 6th leaf: cut down to match. I will have a trailgear front spring hanger with either 5.5" eye to eye shackels or boomerang shackels. I will need an extended front driveshaft, it will be a square shaft.

The rear will be 63" chevy springs from a 95 1/2 ton pickup (3 leafe + overload) and will be mounted using SKY Mfg's. kit. Depending on lift to match the front I'll maybe put in an Add-a-leaf.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
East Bound and Down

To add, the reason I have chosen the direction above is because I want the least amount of lift possible and be able to wheel the piss out of some 35's, the higher you go with these older narrow wheel base yotas, the easier it gets to roll one. The way the front will be set up, it moves the front axle forward 2-3" depending on how I decide to mount the trailgear spring hanger. I'm using the TG spring hanger in effort to get a better pinion angle (my dual cases will also help this). In addition all of this will require me to run highsteer win an IFS box from an 86+
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
East Bound and Down

another bit of info...

AT all cost I would avoid a double shackle setup on the rear if you use the 63" chevys. Yes, it is true the drop travel is SWEET, but They tend to unload going down hill sending you a'rollin sometimes.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
To add, the reason I have chosen the direction above is because I want the least amount of lift possible and be able to wheel the piss out of some 35's, the higher you go with these older narrow wheel base yotas, the easier it gets to roll one. The way the front will be set up, it moves the front axle forward 2-3" depending on how I decide to mount the trailgear spring hanger. I'm using the TG spring hanger in effort to get a better pinion angle (my dual cases will also help this). In addition all of this will require me to run highsteer win an IFS box from an 86+
so essentially I'm pulling the rear springs off moving the hangers up an inch or two in the front and putting those springs on the front? then get new beefier springs from an older chevy in your case and put those on the rear?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
East Bound and Down

basically yes with the addition of mixing two rear leaf packs to achieve the desired mechanics up front. No hanger from the rear moves up front though. it is a new front hanger all together.

Trail Gear Front Spring Hanger

This hanger is used to as a front mount for our 47" front leaf springs. The mount includes greasable 120mm bolts, bushings, nuts, and gussets. Hanger is included in IFS Eliminator and Classic Lift kits.

Front Spring Hanger, $75, 110045-1-K
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
THANKS A TON DARK KNIGHT
so its just hittin up junk yards findind old leaf springs off older yota to combine with rear off mine now and those make the front with addition of new hangers. then rear is just 63" springs found on old chevys. then from there extend front drive shaft and the over all lift is complete???
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
East Bound and Down

Essentially yes. I would recommend spending some time here to fill in some little pieces. The above suggestions are definitely the low budget way to do the lift but if I had the cash I would buy the AllPro Extreme kit in a hart beat.