1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Suzuki GS500F?

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by NumNutz, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I'm planning on buying my first bike this summer.

It's a friends used 2004 Suzuki GS500F w/ 10-12K miles.
    It's a carbed bike so he says it needs to have it's carbs cleaned and jetted and a new back tire.

He wants $1200 but I bet I could get it for $1100.
    Carbs cleaned and jetted w/ basic tune-up - ~$300
    New rear tire - ~$200.
    So I get a well running bike for $1600.

I have a friend who rides motorcycles and his dad is very into it. They do their own maintenance on their bikes. I was going to have them come along when I look at the bike and give it a looking over with me.

My question is the price and bike itself sound worth it?

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Go for it! The GS500 is going to be a great starter bike. Being a 500cc, there's room to grow with the bike, unlike say a 125 where you'd get bored of it pretty quick.

The F is the faired version which looks sporty.

As for re-jetting the carbs, I don't believe that to be necessary. Just a carb cleaning. Re-jetting would be recommended if there was a performance upgrade on the bike. As in, if you friend put an aftermarket pipe on the bike and didn't get it re-jetted.

Replace the rear tire with the exact same one. Don't mix and match. You want to have the same tire profile and compound characteristics as the front.

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Thanks! I think there is an aftermarket muffler. Not sure if it's full piping or just the can.

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Even with just an aftermarket muffler, re-jetting wouldn't hurt.

The GS500F is a comfortable bike, handles well and gets great mileage.

I have an R6 and find it hard to ride anything more than 300 miles in a day. Debating pulling the plates and running it as a track only bike. Want something more upright and comfortable, but something that can still handle well.

Yamaha is coming out with an FZ8 (not sure if it's coming to North America). That would be awesome.

There's also the Kawi Z1000 which is a very comfortable bike, but 1000cc's is just more than is needed for the street, and cost more to insure.... but it is super fun to ride.

Ducati has the Streetfighter.... so hot.. but $$$$.

... OK enough of me dreaming about my next bike :D

6. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    What exactly is re-jetting? Does it increase the power? Is $300 an accurate estimate for cleaning carbs and re-jetting?

7. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Re-jetting is just changing the orfice size of the gas supply to the motor.

For instance, when putting a can or performance cams on a bike, the amount of fuel that the motor requires to run at peak efficiency changes. Changing the jets to match the new fuel requirements of the motor from add-on devices will help it run better, give more peak performance and better fuel consumption.

$300 sounds ok. No harm in getting a 2nd quote.

8. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I cant see much jetting changes with exhaust... maybe one bigger on the pilot, leave the main along and a needle adjustment.. Might be cheaper than $300!

9. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    So I could get away with not doing it. I'm new to two wheels. I have my license and have taken the MSF safety course but I'm trying to save money.

So if I can get away with not re-jetting, how much would just cleaning the carbs be?

10. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    If you are just starting out on two wheels, don't bother jetting the bike. Just get it back into good running condition and start racking up seat time. Then when you have more experience and can use more power, you can re-jet if you like, but you might decide you want a bigger bike. Still the Suzi 500 is a great starter street bike.
    I think $300 is too much for a carb cleaning and re-jetting, of course that's just my opinion. Definitely take your mechanic friends to look at it, if they are offering their help then it's a free evaluation from experienced motorbike people. Needless to say, ride safely and most of all, enjoy!

11. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Great thanks guys. I'm really excited about this. I just don't want to crash. I have pretty much excepted that if you ride a motorcycle you are going to go down eventually. I just hope that it's slow and the bike and I don't get ruined.

12. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I quit riding street before I ruined myself. I was extremely aggressive riding in traffic. Dont do the things I did!

13. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Wear all your gear! And that sounds like a great bike I say go for it! 6 years on a suzuki is nothing, those engines are rock solid.

14. Feb 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    I have a great Arai helmet and gloves. I still need a jacket. Do they make like fashionable padded jeans or something?

15. Feb 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That is a myth. Don't worry about the stupid "there are 2 types of riders, those who have crashed, and those who will" thing. If you are expecting to crash, you probably will. Most falls are usually slow speed anyway so you have nothing to worry about other than a little ego bruising if your neighbors see it.

As for the jetting thing, it will not be absolutely necessary if you only have an aftermarket muffler. If you are on a budget, just have the carbs serviced. After riding the bike, if you notice any hesitation, mis-firing or uneven power delivery, then maybe you need to get it re-jetted.

My bike is fuel injected and I have added a full exhaust. My bike has a flat spot in power delivery from 5,000 - 7,000 RPM, and shoots a flame when changing gears (under moderate acceleration). I need to get it tuned one of these days.... but shooting a little blue flame does have a bit of a cool factor :p.

Here's a couple of key things that I can think of (in no particular order):

- always ride with proper gear, never ride with exposed skin
    - keep tires properly inflated at all times, check around once/week
    - don't try and get that extra ride in on a worn tire... or you'll be waiting on the side of the highway for a tow truck when it pops :eek:
    - keep the chain properly tensioned and regularly clean and lube the chain, it will do wonders for the life of the chain and sprockets, I clean mine once every two weeks depending on conditions. Kerosene and a soft brush is a safe way to clean a chain without damaging the o-rings, rinse with low pressure water, dry and lube right away
    - I use motorcycle chain wax as it is clean and doesn't fling all over your bike
    - regularly change your oil 2,000 - 3,000 miles. Doesn't matter what kind of oil (just make sure it's motorcycle specific). Our bikes are wet-bath clutches, which means the clutch is partially submerged into the engine oil. Synthetic, semi-synth, regular dino motorcycle oil is all good, just stick with one and regularly change it.
    - keep your bike clean because you never know when you'll pull up to a pretty girl at an intersection. She is not going to check out your ass if you are riding a dirty steed.
    - curves in roads -> slow in, fast out. Don't try to test your riding ability limits by coming too hot into a corner. Slow down as one approaches, and gently accelerate out if spirited riding/driving is your thing.

16. Feb 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Joe Rocket, Icon, Draggin Jeans (to list a few) make durable denim jeans for motorcycle riders.

I ride in jean pants 95% of the time when commuting to work. When riding leisurely on weekends, there's no better protection than leather from neck to toe.

17. Feb 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Yea, those jeans do look really good. I watched some test videos on youtube as well. I have an idea on insurance but any idea what the test is for registering a motorcycle?

18. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    mixaro

mixaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    the gs500f is an ok bike one of my female friends has one, and it was her first bike but she got bored of it really quick, for one it lacks power like crazy, the aftermarket for them is weak, you can't get just a slip on pipe for them if i can remember right because the pipe is welded on to the rest of the pipe. i mean you could dump the money into it by rejetting it to spif it up a little, and you could also regear it but in the end you still have a bike that you will get tired of quick. plus where the hell are you getting a rear tire for $200 jesus that what i spend for my R1 parelli's, your rear should be around $120 because they are alot smaller. if i was you i would go for a 600 kawasaki ninja, a 600 suzuki gsxr, yamaha R6, or even better for a starter bike a honda cbr600. and the insurance on them isn't to bad either, one of my friends who has an 04 R6 only pays like $400 a year for full coverage (example i pay like $1000 a year for my R1).

19. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    The 09 R6 has 102 hp of I'm not mistaken. Some cars come with just a little over 102 hp.

I think I'll be okay on a 500. I might get bored but it will keep me in line as I rack up time. I love the feeling of two wheels. Being able to see the road right beneath you. Being able to smell everything. Feeling the temperature change. I like going fast but I don't need that right now. That's not what I'm in it for.

Plus... I'm not gonna be able to beat this price anywhere.

20. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    I've got a Honda 125 that i learned on last year. I'll be getting a bigger bike this summer but i'm very glad i started out with the 125. Had a few scary moments and i'm lucky i was on such a small bike. I think the 500 will be good for you to start on. Ride it for a season and if you get bored, sell it and get something bigger. Just my two cents.

To Top