Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

ATV tracks / Loading

Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
My
Jones'R is on a distinguished road
Jones'R's Tacoma Gallery
ATV tracks / Loading

Does anyone have pics of there tracks for bed loading. I have an 05' 550 Foreman. It just fits in my SR5 long box xcab. Im a first time rider. I've made every mistake you can make so far. I have old school tracks with small brackets at the top. I have after market rims and tires so it sits wide and i have to go over the wheel well humps. Im in one rear window and a lesson of putting atv in 4WD going up the tracks instead of 2WD. Any pics or advice would be great. Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
loading tracks ? what are you asking?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
My
Jones'R's Tacoma Gallery
Pics of your loading tracks and advice on loading
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
i30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i30nes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones'R View Post
Does anyone have pics of there tracks for bed loading. I have an 05' 550 Foreman. It just fits in my SR5 long box xcab. Im a first time rider. I've made every mistake you can make so far. I have old school tracks with small brackets at the top. I have after market rims and tires so it sits wide and i have to go over the wheel well humps. Im in one rear window and a lesson of putting atv in 4WD going up the tracks instead of 2WD. Any pics or advice would be great. Thanks
In my experience with most utility quads I have always had to drive up and over the wheel wells... I have a sport quad myself so its a quick shot up the ramps and into the bed. I usually strap the ramps to the truck as a pre-caution. Don't want them to slip out halfway up the ramp.
Also in regards to the rear window situation. Just be easy on the load up. With that composite bed if you have too much speed you tend to slide. But with the front tires I have they stick out further than the bumper of the 300ex I have.

All in all... Just don't be in a rush. When loading my buddies utility I would back up into a drainage ditch to put the tailgate at more of a straight shot to help with the loading factor.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Been there, smashed the window. Here are some of the basics...

Fix the ramp to the truck with straps. If the ramps fall off the back of the truck when loading (eg due to truck's suspension compressing/truck rolling) you're in a world of hurt. If you can wedge the bottom of the ramp in something on the ground (to stop it sliding out), even better. Eg a curb.

4WD definitely a good idea.

Try and minimize the angle of the ramp, eg by backing the truck up to a bank and having the ramp higher at the 'nontruck' end.

Put something big and heavy between quad and bed to stop it rolling fwd and breaking the window. A spare truck wheel would be good. Another way of doing this is to use a chain to stop it rolling forwards, but the tie-down points in the Taco aren't great so I'd be happier with a physical barrier.

Use common sense. When I first did this we put the ramps up and it was really steep, thought I was going to tip over backwards. Dealer assured me it was ok, but the truck had a lift and the ramps were real steep.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
My
Jones'R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
Been there, smashed the window. Here are some of the basics...

Fix the ramp to the truck with straps. If the ramps fall off the back of the truck when loading (eg due to truck's suspension compressing/truck rolling) you're in a world of hurt. If you can wedge the bottom of the ramp in something on the ground (to stop it sliding out), even better. Eg a curb.

4WD definitely a good idea.

Try and minimize the angle of the ramp, eg by backing the truck up to a bank and having the ramp higher at the 'nontruck' end.

Put something big and heavy between quad and bed to stop it rolling fwd and breaking the window. A spare truck wheel would be good. Another way of doing this is to use a chain to stop it rolling forwards, but the tie-down points in the Taco aren't great so I'd be happier with a physical barrier.

Use common sense. When I first did this we put the ramps up and it was really steep, thought I was going to tip over backwards. Dealer assured me it was ok, but the truck had a lift and the ramps were real steep.
Ya i'll try and park somewhere like a ditch. And maybe make some spikes on the ground end of the tracks so i can stick them in. Basically the first time i loaded it i spit the tracks right out and had the thing hanging two wheels on my tailgate. After i got over that barrier i drove it up (front wheels first) i feathered the gas a little too much going over the wheel wells and took out the back window.

So you guys reverse in ?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
I have only ever gone in forwards. We found a ditch that we reversed into one time and you could just drive the quads out of teh bike without even using the ramps. That was nice.

Anchoring them with pegs sounds like good idea, that'll stop them splitting apart as well as sliding out.

Definitely a good chance to hurt yourself if you're not careful so take it easy and be thorough!
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Loading with stock tacomas is a breeze. just get one tie down tied to the ramp and ride it up. You dont really need 4 wheel drive. If you know how to ride a quad you shouldnt have any trouble. A chunk of building lumber like a 2x4 in front of the bed should ensure that you dont go through your back window. If you have a lift just use a hill or something. Its not that hard.