1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATV tracks / Loading

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by Jones'R, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    Jones'R

Jones'R [OP] My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    Does anyone have pics of there tracks for bed loading. I have an 05' 550 Foreman. It just fits in my SR5 long box xcab. Im a first time rider. I've made every mistake you can make so far. I have old school tracks with small brackets at the top. I have after market rims and tires so it sits wide and i have to go over the wheel well humps. Im in one rear window and a lesson of putting atv in 4WD going up the tracks instead of 2WD. Any pics or advice would be great. Thanks

2. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    loading tracks ? what are you asking?

3. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Jones'R

Jones'R [OP] My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    Pics of your loading tracks and advice on loading

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    i30nes

i30nes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa Palms, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red
    De-badged, Grillcraft grille w/ devil horns. Work in progress :)
    In my experience with most utility quads I have always had to drive up and over the wheel wells... I have a sport quad myself so its a quick shot up the ramps and into the bed. I usually strap the ramps to the truck as a pre-caution. Don't want them to slip out halfway up the ramp.
    Also in regards to the rear window situation. Just be easy on the load up. With that composite bed if you have too much speed you tend to slide. But with the front tires I have they stick out further than the bumper of the 300ex I have.

All in all... Just don't be in a rush. When loading my buddies utility I would back up into a drainage ditch to put the tailgate at more of a straight shot to help with the loading factor.

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Been there, smashed the window. Here are some of the basics...

Fix the ramp to the truck with straps. If the ramps fall off the back of the truck when loading (eg due to truck's suspension compressing/truck rolling) you're in a world of hurt. If you can wedge the bottom of the ramp in something on the ground (to stop it sliding out), even better. Eg a curb.

4WD definitely a good idea.

Try and minimize the angle of the ramp, eg by backing the truck up to a bank and having the ramp higher at the 'nontruck' end.

Put something big and heavy between quad and bed to stop it rolling fwd and breaking the window. A spare truck wheel would be good. Another way of doing this is to use a chain to stop it rolling forwards, but the tie-down points in the Taco aren't great so I'd be happier with a physical barrier.

Use common sense. When I first did this we put the ramps up and it was really steep, thought I was going to tip over backwards. Dealer assured me it was ok, but the truck had a lift and the ramps were real steep.

6. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    Jones'R

Jones'R [OP] My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    Ya i'll try and park somewhere like a ditch. And maybe make some spikes on the ground end of the tracks so i can stick them in. Basically the first time i loaded it i spit the tracks right out and had the thing hanging two wheels on my tailgate. After i got over that barrier i drove it up (front wheels first) i feathered the gas a little too much going over the wheel wells and took out the back window.

So you guys reverse in ?

7. Feb 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I have only ever gone in forwards. We found a ditch that we reversed into one time and you could just drive the quads out of teh bike without even using the ramps. That was nice.

Anchoring them with pegs sounds like good idea, that'll stop them splitting apart as well as sliding out.

Definitely a good chance to hurt yourself if you're not careful so take it easy and be thorough!

8. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Loading with stock tacomas is a breeze. just get one tie down tied to the ramp and ride it up. You dont really need 4 wheel drive. If you know how to ride a quad you shouldnt have any trouble. A chunk of building lumber like a 2x4 in front of the bed should ensure that you dont go through your back window. If you have a lift just use a hill or something. Its not that hard.

To Top