Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

ATV in a LONG BED

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
AZtacoma07 is on a distinguished road
AZtacoma07's Tacoma Gallery
ATV in a LONG BED

I just picked up this 2007 Arctic Cat 500 ATV this morning and was scared to death loading it in the back of the 07 sport long bed. The stated width of the wheels is 47.5" and that is a lot wider than the wheel wells in the bed of the truck. Well, I crossed my fingers and loaded it up, and IT FIT! I could hear the plastic wheel wells creak as the rim scratched along side of it, but it squeezed between them. No damage though. It weighs almost 700 lbs, and I also put ammo cans in front to protect my rear window....
So just FYI to all you out there wondering if an ATV this size will fit.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Make more better!
skulltacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: BEN
skulltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
also if your like me be smart and safe run your front winch from the front of your quad to the back of your hitch ( take your tailgate off ) and this will help prevent the quad form hitting your cab or cab windows in the event of extreme hard braking... just might help it helped me when some guy in a ricer honda civic cut me off.... needless to say i had words with him... and you probably know about putting a wee tire in between the front of the cab and the quad... happy trailing buddy stay safe.

Cheers

Ben
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Mud is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Mud's Tacoma Gallery
No issues at all loading my outlander 800 in my long bed. You ain't gonna get the tailgate closed though. Then again I couldn't get it closed when I had my 99 silverado either. Haven't tried my big bear in this truck just yet but I could close the tailgate on the silverado with it in the back might be able to with the taco as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Make more better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
No issues at all loading my outlander 800 in my long bed. You ain't gonna get the tailgate closed though. Then again I couldn't get it closed when I had my 99 silverado either. Haven't tried my big bear in this truck just yet but I could close the tailgate on the silverado with it in the back might be able to with the taco as well.
yeah maybe you should look at the threads about reinforcing your tailgate its worth it. and also be careful loading the quad as i know what it CAN do just be careful. i noticed it one day when the small gap between the tailgate and the box sides was not the same looking up and down it was smaller and bigger and the other end??? so i noticed it but its very small just take care thats all im saying. and i also ended up just taking the tailgate off while i had a quad in the back and used the winch off the quad to the hitch like i was saying earlier. its a bit safer just in case you do have to hit the brakes your quad doesn't end up making a new sunroof for you.

happy trails

Ben.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Quad & Truck- Thanks for posting this- Looks like you have a serious hunt rig setup there!

The more I look at that it's nice to know it can be done, but I think trailering it is the way to go. Especially in Az's tough rocky- rigid trails. In the end the truck will probably thank you !

Curious as to how many hours that has and the approx: price you paid? I'm in the market for the exact same set up...

AzBackcountry
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
AZtacoma07 is on a distinguished road
AZtacoma07's Tacoma Gallery
AZBACKCOUNRTY- It is a 2007 with only 250 miles! I had been searching for months just looking for a good deal and I picked this one up with all the extra racks and stuff on it including a loading ramp for 4000 off of craigslist. Owned by a grandpa who used it to maintain his 5 acre property in new river...And I will be looking for a tralier for it too, I agree that all the bouncing around in the back there (700lbs) will not be too good in the long run. I'm gonna take it out this weekend for a predator hunt to break it in.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Make more better!

Although i did see something that is really interesting I beleive that there is a company in the states that makes them i think thier name is diamondback or sumthing or other ( if you want ill find it again for you theres a guy selling one up here for $1800 CAD and open to offers probably. What it is is basically like the big boys you always see with the rack uptop the box has awesome tie downs and special cups on the front so you don't smash the windows on the back of your cab etc etc and the nicest part is it folds up from the back of the tailgate (half way) like a tonneau cover. Then from the front of the box to the middle also opens like a tonneau cover again (50/50) i mean if you really want it on your truck thats the way to go. However i still would rather have a trailer personally. I just had this discussion with a friend of mine and i mean up here you see those decks above the box on dodge 3/4 tons and 1 tons single not dually although you do see those too. but they run like two sleds or two quads and even though this deck for tacomas only puts one up i mean tacomas are somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tons... do you really wanna risk the extra tippyness however my buddy brought up a valid point that if you had the right setup with suspension and airbags it should be fine

Take a look at this link : its in calgary alberta canada

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ189951825

I mean i saw this and was like WHOA thats pretty sick, but i mean for even $1800 i can get a pretty nice trailer and to all sorts of things with it besides atv holder. Although like the ad says it would be nice to have that uptop and keep your gear clean.

Just thought this could help in your travels

Ben.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
chicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud of

Name: Jose Garcia
chicken lips's Tacoma Gallery
can i get a link to the tailgate reinforcing thred?

heres my long bed compared to my buddys short bed

Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
The Duck
Duck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud of

Duck760's Tacoma Gallery
if ur worried you can always buy those tail gate extenders... they are kinda cool i cant tell somedays i like em some days i dont
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Taco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant future
Name: JohnnyHildo
Taco Libre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken lips View Post
can i get a link to the tailgate reinforcing thred?

heres my long bed compared to my buddys short bed

sweet photo! i'm aware this is an old photo but i'm looking into getting a can-am outlander 650XT and was trying to decide if it would fit
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
chicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud of

Name: Jose Garcia
chicken lips's Tacoma Gallery
Never tried fitting one of those quads in my truck, but I have a couple Honda TRX's with desert suspension & tires(wider & taller) and they still fit heck sometimes I don't even tied them down because they fit nice and tight