1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone have a yamaha yfz 450

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by red neck toy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    red neck toy

red neck toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    ive got a question if you do. or if you know anything about it

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    derekAV

derekAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    i got one..ask away hahaha

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I have an 04 but don't know ALL that much about it mechanicly... :S

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    well it traded an old chev y truck for an 06 special edition. it looks brand new.
    but it doesnt run quite right. if i hit the gas it almost dies out but when i gradually get on it its fine.
    i pulled the carb and it looked clean but it was too confusing of a carb for me to mess with lol

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    derekAV

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    could be tons of things..what kind of gas are you running in it?

or the valves could need adjsting,

or the air filter could be really dirty,

but most likely the carb just needs adjusting, like the iddel or the throttle cables might have too much play in them.
    or put a new plug in it
    hard to tell really, but it can be fixed

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    The yfz450 is known to have a "bog" when you apply full throttle. I used to log onto a YFZ forum and that's where I learned that from. I'm not sure if it could also be something else but that's my guess.

If you give it lots of gas, it will bog a bit...

Check out yfzcentral.com
    It's a yfz450 & yfz450R forum. VERY informative stuff there.

search for "bog" or something like that. You should get lots of help at that forum.

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    ScottyKC

ScottyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Omaha
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport SR5
    Bilstein 5100 set to 2.5" lift in front. Rear TSB with 1.5" rough country. Bridgestone Dueller Revo2 265/70/17 Satoshi mod, and painted center caps, tinted windows.
    I have a 2005 suzuki RMZ 450. I had the same problem. I stored the bike in a shed under my deck. It was always moist in there and it ended up screwing up my carb. I looked at the carb and it looked good and clean. The bike shop replaced gaskets and it ran great after that.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    no its not just a bog. like i cant even lift the wheels off the ground or punch it around a corner cuz it just it nothing. i almost get thrown into the bars. and then it kicks in and almost throws me off the back haha.
    alright ill check that forum out thanks.
    one more question tho is my header supposed to glow red?? lol ive heard its normals on these but is it really?

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    plug is good, air filter is good, and carb is clean. and i have 93 octane in it

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    derekAV

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    mine never glows red! but it runs hot as hell.

is your radiator good?

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    i just looked up on that yfz central site. it says it normal for a glowing header. cuz its only a single walled pipe or something.
    the engine runs normal temp. just the header glows red. i noticed that last night. i havnt even riden the thing yet just up and down my drive way. i got it over the winter so thats why.

i just cant understand why it runs fine except for when i punch it.

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    fixed the problem tonight.
    looked it up on yfz central.com
    it was where the throttle cable attaches inside the carb.
    the screw thing and plastic piece was separating so i did the "zip-tie mod" and now it runs beautiful

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    shoulda got a honda:D

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    lowchef

lowchef Member

Member:
    nova
    Vehicle:
    07 x-runner
    trd goodies
    sound like your running lean...you probabbly need to rejet it...

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    derekAV

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    hahaha i called that one hahaha jkjk

glad u got it fixed

16. Mar 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Just saw this thread..was going to suggest this ^^, glad you got it fixed.

But I 2nd this ^^...you might want to check your jetting, check the condition of your spark plug after riding a bit and see how it looks.
    It is ok for the header to glow a little, but if its bright solid red that is a problem and it shouldn't glow from just a little ride down the street.

17. Mar 18, 2010 at 4:00 AM
    red neck toy

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    yeah im new to yfz's i had a fully modded kfx 400 before. but everything on the yfz is different lol.
    i ran it around yesterday and the header was glowing while it was sitting there warming up but after i rode around i pulled in the shop and shut the lights off and it was just slightly glowing

18. Mar 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    The header shouldn't be any more red than your KFX got...it shouldn't look like it just came out of a fire ;). A slight glow is normal.

What's done to the YFZ?

I have a LTZ400, LTR450 and YFZ450...the YFZ has been the hardest to tune.

19. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    Dan893

Dan893 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 doublecab longbed
    TRD cold air intake, 6k HID headlights, 3K HID foglights, custom sockmonkey decals
    If your header is glowing just warming up it's usually a sighn your bike is running to lean. I know almost every bike Now comes on the lean now for emissions. I know on the ktms also have a leak jet and accelerator pump I know I had to mess with that on my 250sxf to get rid of bogging when you cracked it open out of a turn it would sometimes hesitate and then takeoff like a rocket

20. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Before you mess around with the carburetor, try running some SeaFoam through it. Stuff works wonders!

[​IMG]

To Top