1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on Polaris 500?

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by nvdeserted, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Hi all,

I'm in a pinch to get a used quad for a last-minute project at work. The best thing I can find locally is a 2004 Polaris 500. I took it for a spin and looked it over, it's in great shape BUT the other 6 quads in our fleet are Honda, and my 2 personal quads are Honda and I'm not sure if I like the way Polaris is set up.

I'm not trying to start a Polaris vs. Honda debate, just more of "is Polaris good at making quads" thread. I'm very pleased with all my Hondas but this is for work and I don't need to like it, it just needs to last and be tough.

1. The Polaris is belt drive: Does this hold up well when muddy dirty?

2. The Polaris is not 4wd but AWD, the seller claims it's 2WD until the rears slip and then the front engages: Any feedback on how well this works?

3. The racks are plastic: Will I be replacing these annually?

4. There are no "gears", it's like a snow-machine in that respect: how is this for trails/towing?

5. I scoured some ATV forums and I saw alot of Polaris owners complaining about design flaws and stuff breaking, but it seems like folks are only motivated to write when they've had a bad experience, not when they've had no problems: what's the concensus on TW?

Thanks in advance for your input, I appreciate it.

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    My brother-in-law has an 05 500. It rides like a Cadillac when compared to my 99 grizzly. It is a very capable machine. We use it to haul firewood in the winter. My sister has taken it into mud all the way up to the fenders with not issues. She has forded a creek (up to the gas tank) with out issue also. It has selectable AWD on it. I would not hesitate to purchase one.

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    My personal opinion on Polaris: They are good ATV's but I will never buy one for one reason, Automatics.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I used to have a Polaris 4x2 and found it to be a very capable machine. The belt lasted about 3-4 years before I needed to replace it (it's a quick and easy process to swap them out). I actually liked the automatic for trail riding, it was very smooth. I beat the hell out of mine and still never managed to do any damage to the engine or drive train. If you're going to be towing in a trail, make sure it has the EBS (Engine Braking System) otherwise they basically free wheel down hills. Personally, I was impressed with the Polaris and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

To Top