1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FS LED Whips, Tail Gate CB Mounts, Etc.

Discussion in 'Anti-Dark' started by BeeRadd, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    06toyoboy

06toyoboy Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    How are you gonna test the signal quality? Idk if maybe a SWR meter would show a difference?

3. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd [OP] Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    My cb radio actually has one built in so I will be able to tell.

The way I'm going to test it is have one truck on one side of town at the furthest distance my cb reaches normally (about 1 mile in a city).
    Then I will switch whips to the led whip and commence testing with the LEDs on and off.
    Assuming the signal won't be great I will travel closer to the other truck until I've reached a point where we can hear each other clearly, record and report back the results!

This will happen sometime next week.

4. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Sounds good.

5. Dec 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    x2

6. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    35 is fair. Absolutely

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I shoulda patented that hood lighting setup. It never occurred to me how popular it would be. That was like the first or second mod I ever did to my truck.
    Glad to see Brad's taking the initiative I never did. I couldn't think of a better, more deserving guy to make some money off it. :thumbsup:

8. Dec 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I suppose since I'm the originator of the hood lights (Brad fell in love with mine and promptly installed his), I can give you a little info on them.

Waterproof strip is the way to go. That's the one with the rubbery gel coating along the strip.
    The Chinese adhesive is sufficient. I've had mine on for 2 years and 35K miles and not the slightest sign of coming off. The only tricky part is where the supply wire attaches to the strip: it needs a bit of glue to hold it down tight.
    Wiring can be a bitch if you use a cut piece, rather than the factory pigtail. It's tough because you first have to strip away the rubber coating, then scrape the protective layer off the copper contacts, then carefully solder your supply wires onto the copper without bridging the gap. A good-sized PITA.
    Don't use the cheap grounding switch from your local auto parts store. Get a better momentary-off (pressure switch) from an electronics store, one that's capable of resisting corrosion (stainless steel). It doesn't have to be rated as weatherproof, but it does need to be quality.
    No drilling involved at all if you don't want to. The pressure switch mounts in a stock hole just behind the outer headlight mounting screw.
    Since the switch is, by nature, a ground-interrupt switch, the positive wire should be hot all the time, and the break is in the negative. What I mean is, the switch is mounted to the body, which is negative ground, and the wire runs from there to the light, so the other side has to be positive, which means it's always going to be live; the circuit will complete only when the switch closes, connecting the light to ground. Most of the switches on our trucks are negative break.
    With the light on, the draw is less than 1/4 amp. Which means it will take over a week, maybe over a month, to drain the battery if you were to leave it on the whole time. The rest of the truck's stock electronics draw significantly more with the ignition off than the light draws when it's on. In fact, the draw is so minimal, that I have it fused on a circuit with several other LED strips on it- and the fuse I use is the smallest I could find: a 2.5 amp mini-ATO, which is still huge for the combined draw (around 1 amp).
    The output/lumens is significant. It's quite a bit brighter than a fluorescent drop light, with much better spread. In fact, you may end up cursing how bright it is if you're out in the middle of nowhere and have gotten your night vision going. Hell, it'll light up the surrounding area plenty -- enough to change a tire at night.

This is one of the hands-down best, most helpful mods you can do to your truck. You'll probably end up doing the same thing Brad did and installing it in every vehicle you work on, and then wonder how anyone can work on their vehicle without one.
    Do yourself a favor and buy his kit! You'll be glad you did, and then wonder why he's selling them so cheap.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  9. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Brad, hook me up with one of this hood lights, would love you help you out by buying one buddy!

10. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Techoma

Techoma This is the Wild, Wild, West!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alta Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Extreme Expo 05 PreRunner
    Dirty fives on Level 8s, 4.88 gears and Harrod Locker on rear. Cab Chop x2, MBRP Cat Back Dual Exhaust w Flowmaster 44 for punch, cut off at rear axle, Throttle Body spacer, Camburg UCA and Coil-Overs, Matrix Spindle lift up front ProComp extended travel on rear w\ Dakar leafs +, Panasonic HU w Front x2 and rear x1 camera, kicker 500 powering 2 JL Audio 10" subs, JL component speakers in front doors and JL audio coaxials in rear doors powered by alpine 600 amp. Cobra all in one CB, Easy Lift hood, and Easy Down Tailgate, Pop N Lock, Dual RGB Halo Projectors, Blacked out tails with HI intensity LED's, Scanguage II, AVID Custom sliders and Hybrid rear bumper, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front, Glock Steering Column Holster, 2 Hella's behind Satoshi on Avid light Bar, Decepticon Badges, 2x 24" LED ropes and 2X 4" HI LEDs to fire up Satoshi w Super Bright green Halo's. Under Hood lighting as well as RGB rock lights. PrinSu Cab/Shell Rack with FreeSpirit hard shell RTT, 28", 2x 20", and 50" LED Bars all controlled by SwitchPros and Weathertechs front and rear.

I'll gladly send you $$ for a hood light set up. Pay Pal?

11. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    I'll take a hood setup for 35 shipped. Paypal ready too. And you should look into the same setup for bed lighting... I want to put it under my rails. But last I've seen the kits on bed lights for too much.

12. Dec 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    Oooo. A clean setup with video install for bed lighting would be great for those electrically challenged like me would be awesome!!

13. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    BeeRadd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    Lol you guys are a hoot, making me LOL over here. I can send out these kits now but I thought it would be more appropriate once I had made a how-to thread. I'll probably be able to do that Christmas Day and ship out the following day for you guys.

14. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    I am patient. Whenever is good for u bro

Its the holiday season. Enjoy it with family and friends. Worry about this stuff till after the holidays

15. Dec 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Hey brad, any update on the kit? Still interesting in grabbing one of these for all those mods that seem to run into the dark hours...

16. Dec 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Yeah what's up man. I need more lights !!!!

17. Dec 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    BeeRadd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    Hey guys, even though the kit has everything needed to work It's slightly different than my current setup. I wanted to make a DIY/how-to with the exact same kit you all would get so that I know for certain it works and we'll all be on the same page before I send them out.

I am going to be making that how-to today with Matt "The_Traveler" and shipping out immediately after!

I need to make a sign up list to keep track of everybody who wants one. I'm going to church right now, anybody want to start one?

18. Dec 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

Sounds good to me. I'll start the list for a fellow Brad :thumbsup:

1. Bengland25: Hood Light Kit

19. Dec 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    tacodane

tacodane The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Led Interior Lights AFE CAI Stage II, Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler Snugtop Cab-Hi shell TRS Retrofitted Headlights
    What's the hood lights cost

20. Dec 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Techoma

Techoma This is the Wild, Wild, West!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alta Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Extreme Expo 05 PreRunner
    Dirty fives on Level 8s, 4.88 gears and Harrod Locker on rear. Cab Chop x2, MBRP Cat Back Dual Exhaust w Flowmaster 44 for punch, cut off at rear axle, Throttle Body spacer, Camburg UCA and Coil-Overs, Matrix Spindle lift up front ProComp extended travel on rear w\ Dakar leafs +, Panasonic HU w Front x2 and rear x1 camera, kicker 500 powering 2 JL Audio 10" subs, JL component speakers in front doors and JL audio coaxials in rear doors powered by alpine 600 amp. Cobra all in one CB, Easy Lift hood, and Easy Down Tailgate, Pop N Lock, Dual RGB Halo Projectors, Blacked out tails with HI intensity LED's, Scanguage II, AVID Custom sliders and Hybrid rear bumper, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front, Glock Steering Column Holster, 2 Hella's behind Satoshi on Avid light Bar, Decepticon Badges, 2x 24" LED ropes and 2X 4" HI LEDs to fire up Satoshi w Super Bright green Halo's. Under Hood lighting as well as RGB rock lights. PrinSu Cab/Shell Rack with FreeSpirit hard shell RTT, 28", 2x 20", and 50" LED Bars all controlled by SwitchPros and Weathertechs front and rear.
    1. Bengland25: Hood Light Kit
    2. Techoma: Hood Light Kit

Products Discussed in

To Top