1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reliable Brake Shop

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Cortland, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Cortland

Cortland [OP] THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a good brake shop in the Phoenix area. Any recommendations?

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    What do you need done?

3. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    Brake Shop = Brakes. Lol, Jk. :)

4. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Cortland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Need my front and rear brakes replaced.

5. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    AZDuc

AZDuc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    08, DC, SB, 4X4
    Leveling Kit, Moto Metal, Nitto, Billet grill, bed extender, TRD exhaust, sound system from hell
    Super easy to slap pads on. Jack up the truck, block the wheels, support the axles and pull the wheels. Stick a big screwdriver between the pads and rotor and push the piston back into the caliper. Now remove the caliper, remove the old pads, install the new, re-install the caliper, bolt wheels back on, lower truck, PUMP the pedal a few times until you get brake pressure and your ready. Take it easy on the brakes for the first hundred miles and your ready to rock.

Bill

6. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Seriously, your own garage is the most reliable brake shop you'll find.

7. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Ask nofords08 for help. Just double-check his work :p

Avoid Just brakes! They make money lying to people and forcing them to buy $200 shocks.

8. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    Cortland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Yeah I would never go to Just Brakes, their lifetime brake program sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

9. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    I left once they told me I needed shocks.

Brake masters has been good to me.

10. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    Cortland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    I think I might just try to replace the fronts myself...as far as the rear drums go, I have no idea lol

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    LOL you so funny...but there's several things that could be done. Like change pads, bleed sytem and refill, diagnostics, trouble shoot, turn rotors or replace them. I was asking to see if we could do something for him without sending him to a brake shop and spend mulla!

So back off my grill fool! I'll cut you :p LOL jk jk

X2 on DIY save yourself the money and as far as rear drums go I'm with you in that boat. Anyone know how to do them?

12. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    Cortland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Taylor, have you done the fronts yourself? How difficult is it?

13. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    No but we did a 5 lugger this weekend in my garage while we were putting on his lift and it looked really easy. I do need to check mine.

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    AZDuc

AZDuc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    08, DC, SB, 4X4
    Leveling Kit, Moto Metal, Nitto, Billet grill, bed extender, TRD exhaust, sound system from hell

Probably don't need rears, just measure them. If you have at least 3/32" you could run out another set of fronts, before you'll need rears. If you do need them jack up the rear axle and pull both drums. Do one side at a time and use the other side as a visual reference for assembly. VERY IMPORTANT look at the brake shoes very closely and match up front/leading shoe and the rear/trailing shoe for each side prior to dis-assembly for either side.

Go slow, take your time and buy a brake spring retainer removal tool and a spring prying tool.

AZDuc:spy:

15. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    If you're near North Scottsdale, go to the Brake Masters on Hayden just south of Frank Lloyd Wright. Ask for Travis. He's a longtime friend of mine and runs the shop. You'll get honest work done every time, and he'll back it up. They do all types of other repairs there, too.

Products Discussed in

To Top