R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Payson/Mogollon Rim Campground Recommendations

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
forgotten1 has a spectacular aura aboutforgotten1 has a spectacular aura aboutforgotten1 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
forgotten1's Tacoma Gallery
Payson/Mogollon Rim Campground Recommendations

I'm making a trip out to Payson/Mogollon Rim area this weekend to go camping with some friends. Still trying to decide on a spot. I've camped at Kehl Springs, Clints Well, and some other site that was further north and right on the edge of the rim.

I was thinking of going to the Third Crossing or Verde Glen campground, but I haven't found any concrete info as to whether or not they are open. I know that two sites just upstream, Water Wheel and 2nd Crossing campgrounds are closed due to last year's fire.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dispersed campground up in that area. I'd like to be in a wooded area and close to a stream if possible. Planning on spending some time at Fossil Creek on Sunday as well. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
i traveled up houston mesa rd and had found a few sites near a small stream. they were really close to a road, so it didn't look all that quiet. there were a ton of people there, so i guess they didn't mind at all
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
we've stayed here

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...ngs_camp.shtml

free small campground 8 sites total. No water there, but that wasn't an issue for us as we always bring one of those 10gal containers.

All along the south side of rim road are lots of dispersed places to camp. You are literally right on top of the rim.

Don't think there was a creek or anything nearby, there are a bunch of campgrounds at the little lakes up there on the rim. We try to avoid them as they cost like $15-20 a night to stay there, and are a lil too developed for our tastes

Kehl Springs Campground

Sorry about the Frontier I have since seen the error of my ways
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive always enjoyed camping down Merzville road. Its just past Forest lakes, and the sign is on the north side of the 260. Go South. Its easy driving, but gets more difficult the further you go. Theres some nice clear areas to set up camp, and you can walk, or ride a quad/bike to the rim.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
I just camped out by beaver creek this pass weekend, not a lot of sites that are out of the designated campground with concrete slabs and a strict camp host. We did find one though that was free, covered with nice shade trees, flat surface and about 100 feet from the stream. By far it was the best place we could find up there when it came to remoteness and location to the stream but the water wasn't that great so we took a 30 min off road trip to fossil and had a blast on the last day

The deepest pool (about 4 feet) we found beside the populated main spot at beaver creek was right by our sight
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
There is also another spot called alderwood off the 260 just pass christopher creek. Nice area and free, we were all alone in a campground with 8 sites. The only down side is you have to drive on one of the worst wash board roads ever, the jeep that was with us almost rattled apart haha. Best part though had to be the amazing canyon we found that was about a 15 min hike upstream, deep enough to swim/jump and didn't see a single soul the whole time.