1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payson/Mogollon Rim Campground Recommendations

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by forgotten1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Sep 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    forgotten1

forgotten1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set at 0, OME 885 coils, 1/2" Top Plate Spacer, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Alcan AAL, 17" Moto Metal 951 ALL BLACK, 285/70/17 BFG A/T, Depo Black Housing Headlamps, Onex 4300K HID/3000K Fogs, FLM, Toyota Optional Skid Plate, Avid Offroad Sliders, K&N Drop In Filter, Centric Posi-Quiet Front Brake Pads, USA-Spec DF-Toy, Sirius Sportster 4
    I'm making a trip out to Payson/Mogollon Rim area this weekend to go camping with some friends. Still trying to decide on a spot. I've camped at Kehl Springs, Clints Well, and some other site that was further north and right on the edge of the rim.

I was thinking of going to the Third Crossing or Verde Glen campground, but I haven't found any concrete info as to whether or not they are open. I know that two sites just upstream, Water Wheel and 2nd Crossing campgrounds are closed due to last year's fire.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dispersed campground up in that area. I'd like to be in a wooded area and close to a stream if possible. Planning on spending some time at Fossil Creek on Sunday as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    i traveled up houston mesa rd and had found a few sites near a small stream. they were really close to a road, so it didn't look all that quiet. there were a ton of people there, so i guess they didn't mind at all

3. Sep 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    we've stayed here

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/mog_rim/kehlsprings_camp.shtml

free small campground 8 sites total. No water there, but that wasn't an issue for us as we always bring one of those 10gal containers.

All along the south side of rim road are lots of dispersed places to camp. You are literally right on top of the rim.

Don't think there was a creek or anything nearby, there are a bunch of campgrounds at the little lakes up there on the rim. We try to avoid them as they cost like $15-20 a night to stay there, and are a lil too developed for our tastes

Kehl Springs Campground
    IMG_1910_9133834f7adc50748ba93836b8f3157aca66a6a6.jpg
    Sorry about the Frontier I have since seen the error of my ways [​IMG]

4. Sep 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ive always enjoyed camping down Merzville road. Its just past Forest lakes, and the sign is on the north side of the 260. Go South. Its easy driving, but gets more difficult the further you go. Theres some nice clear areas to set up camp, and you can walk, or ride a quad/bike to the rim.

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    I just camped out by beaver creek this pass weekend, not a lot of sites that are out of the designated campground with concrete slabs and a strict camp host. We did find one though that was free, covered with nice shade trees, flat surface and about 100 feet from the stream. By far it was the best place we could find up there when it came to remoteness and location to the stream but the water wasn't that great so we took a 30 min off road trip to fossil and had a blast on the last day
    [​IMG]
    The deepest pool (about 4 feet) we found beside the populated main spot at beaver creek was right by our sight

6. Sep 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    There is also another spot called alderwood off the 260 just pass christopher creek. Nice area and free, we were all alone in a campground with 8 sites. The only down side is you have to drive on one of the worst wash board roads ever, the jeep that was with us almost rattled apart haha. Best part though had to be the amazing canyon we found that was about a 15 min hike upstream, deep enough to swim/jump and didn't see a single soul the whole time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sep 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    forgotten1

forgotten1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set at 0, OME 885 coils, 1/2" Top Plate Spacer, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Alcan AAL, 17" Moto Metal 951 ALL BLACK, 285/70/17 BFG A/T, Depo Black Housing Headlamps, Onex 4300K HID/3000K Fogs, FLM, Toyota Optional Skid Plate, Avid Offroad Sliders, K&N Drop In Filter, Centric Posi-Quiet Front Brake Pads, USA-Spec DF-Toy, Sirius Sportster 4
    All good recommendations, thanks guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top