1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Adopt a Highway" anyone?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Flynn Diesel, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    Flynn Diesel

Flynn Diesel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    •BFG AT KO 285/70/17, XD Addict 17x9, Light Racing UCA’s, Billstein 5100’s, OME 885’s, Toytec AAL, Seat Belt warning disable, Grill Craft Black MX Upper & Lower Grill, VisionX 55/65 watt xenon Low/High Beam lights. FOG Light only Mod. Tailgate theft prevention mod. Wet Okole armrest mod. Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech floor liners. AMP Bed Extender. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Pioneer P4200DVD
    Hey guys and gals.

Taco Gunner made a post about all the trash he has seen on the trails and it got me thinking. Why can't we do something big to help out? We're all here to have fun, meet new people, learn about our trucks and all the glorious mods but how can we give back and stand out from the rest.

Why not Adopt a Highway? We would only need to do it a few times a year and it would make a huge difference. Wouldn't it be awesome to see an "Adopted by Arizona Tacoma World" sign on the side of the road? Who knows, it might catch on and other regions will start one up. I'll get the ball rolling if anyone is interested.

The Adopt a Highway Volunteer Program is a national litter awareness program where groups volunteer to pick up litter from Arizona's roadsides. Groups include civic and community groups, families, and businesses.

In 2009, nearly 2,000 volunteer groups participated in removing litter from Arizona's highways. Volunteering in the Adopt a Highway program requires a two-year commitment to pick up loose trash and debris along a segment of state highway. Groups agree to conduct cleanups based upon the frequency written into their Permit, usually three to four times a year. Scenic and historic highways may require higher frequencies. Your group coordinator will schedule the date and time of each cleanup with your ADOT contact and review the provided safety training to ALL participants before each cleanup activity.
    It is recommended that you maintain a working group of six to ten people per two mile segment of highway.
    Each member of your group MUST read and sign the Volunteer Registration Form. ADOT will supply trash bags for your group. Filled trash bags need to be placed on the ground approximately 6 – 10 feet from the roadway for ADOT crews to remove and dispose of.
    Volunteers are required to wear safety vests labeled ANSI Class II. Groups should be prepared to supply their own safety vests.
    Please check first with your ADOT contact regarding safety vests. If we have vests on hand, we’d be happy to loan some to you, but please follow instructions from District Coordinator about returning any loaned vests back to ADOT. Vests that you purchase are yours to keep.
    After your cleanup, complete the online Activity Report detailing your cleanup. The report indicates the hours worked, the number of participants, and the number of bags of trash removed.
    Still want to become one of the thousands of dedicated volunteers keeping our highways clean and safe?
    Contact the District Office for your area to become involved with the Adopt a Highway Volunteer Program.
    The District Adopt a Highway Coordinator will provide you with a Permit Application to complete and submit. Be sure to read the application, both front and back, and retain a copy for your records.

2. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Good luck with this. Hope some people jump on board. Surely they will with how of you there are in that area! Great idea and wish you the best with it...

3. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    I'll help with this.

Perhaps something along the lines of Arizona Tacoma Owners though.

4. Oct 12, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I like the idea.

5. Oct 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS

Great idea OP. I say keep it Arizona TacomaWorld Members in it since it'd be our thing. Its not just random tacoma owners doing it. It'd be the members of this site helping out.

6. Oct 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I am down with this...

Honestly, with as many people as we have here, we could do a pretty good stretch of road.

I think it would not also be a bad ideal to pick a park, or trail, and do some clean up.

I am between Tucson and Phoenix a lot...let me know where to show up!

7. Oct 13, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Flynn Diesel

Flynn Diesel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    •BFG AT KO 285/70/17, XD Addict 17x9, Light Racing UCA’s, Billstein 5100’s, OME 885’s, Toytec AAL, Seat Belt warning disable, Grill Craft Black MX Upper & Lower Grill, VisionX 55/65 watt xenon Low/High Beam lights. FOG Light only Mod. Tailgate theft prevention mod. Wet Okole armrest mod. Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech floor liners. AMP Bed Extender. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Pioneer P4200DVD
    I would like to have at least 10 people interested and the more the better.

Products Discussed in

To Top