R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

2WD w/o locker....snow even possible?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
2WD w/o locker....snow even possible?

So....I'm starting to realize that someone slapped some stickers on my truck before I bought it, because despite the TRD on the sides I have no RR locker button on the dash.

I was planning a trip to flagstaff to head to the cinder pits, but I've seen people with 2WD get stuck there a lot, and I don't want to be THAT guy.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
your in the same boat i was in with my last truck. I bought a base model that someone put TRD stickers on...

I lived in idaho for 2 years with that truck and it worked fine, 2wd open dif. yea it would slide around some but nothing that I couldnt handle. throw a few sand bags in the bed for snow, ice and keep a light foot and you should be ok.

the only time I ever got stuck was in some powdery sand and only b/c I wasnt going fast enough.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
your in the same boat i was in with my last truck. I bought a base model that someone put TRD stickers on...

I lived in idaho for 2 years with that truck and it worked fine, 2wd open dif. yea it would slide around some but nothing that I couldnt handle. throw a few sand bags in the bed for snow, ice and keep a light foot and you should be ok.

the only time I ever got stuck was in some powdery sand and only b/c I wasnt going fast enough.
Feels bad man.
I really wish they didn't sell those stupid stickers.

Bout how deep do you think is "too deep?" If I throw a bunch of sandbags in the back can I get through any deeper?

And would chains make any difference?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ehh im not sure how deep. here's a pic of my truck after a day of playing in the snow with NO weight in the bed, my truck was pretty much sideways the entire time.
chains would help for sure, they will help with traction and keeping it straight
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
i was wondering the same thing....im supposed to be goin to Snowshoe VA this Christmas break...im just hopin my truck makes it n what not or else i will take my moms 07 Explorer cuz its got 4x4
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
@ zombie runner
that is an awesome pic! I hope to get some good ones when I'm up there, hopefully not stuck in the snow or smashed into a tree. I'll have some good weight back down to tucson with a few trees in the back. Sounds like the biggest problem will be my lead foot.

Where'd you get your chains from?

@lilredstud
I plan on leaving the 17th or the 18th and coming back a few days later. When I come back I'll share how it went (though you'll probably already be headed out bey then).
Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks dude
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Blaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlaktak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Blaktak's Tacoma Gallery
TRD offroad comes with the locker right? Sport comes with limited slip?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 is not necessary for snow on most paved roads. Go slow, weight in back of truck, chain up or have them available if you're going way up in the mountains.

Next snowstorm, take a look around at all the cars in the ditch. A surprisingly large percentage will be FWD/AWD with an over-confident driver waiting for the tow.

/grew up in Michigan
/lives in Oregon
/still don't need 4wd.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #10

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaktak View Post
TRD offroad comes with the locker right? Sport comes with limited slip?
In the first post, I explained that someone put the stickers on my truck, it's not actually a TRD.

Unless it actually has limited slip. I was under the impression they weren't an option in '03. I also don't have the sticker on the rear diff, so it's not looking good.

Anyone have any idea if it's worth swapping in a new diff?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
johnson910413 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech 3rd class
Name: Samuel
johnson910413's Tacoma Gallery
cant wait to rip up some snow in my new taco
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyvR View Post
In the first post, I explained that someone put the stickers on my truck, it's not actually a TRD.

Unless it actually has limited slip. I was under the impression they weren't an option in '03. I also don't have the sticker on the rear diff, so it's not looking good.

Anyone have any idea if it's worth swapping in a new diff?
No, you don't need limited slip or 4wd for snow. It's a nice feature but if you're sticking to the roads, good tires and weight in the bed go a long way. I have 4wd and the only thing I use it for on pavement is parallel parking where I need slow speed control so I don't slide into the other parked cars. I grew up in upstate NY and never had the luxury of 4wd until now. You'll be fine with an open diff. A locked diff can sometimes cause a worse situation in snow since you no longer have that stationary tracking wheel and can cause fishtailing.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #13

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery

This is what I'm hoping to make it through.

This is what I'm driving.

There's no way I could make that trail with my truck, but you guys think I could drive on the already packed snow?

I'm leaning towards no, but I also know I'm at least going to try. I figure my friend will be there with his AWD car, and I'll have chains.

EDIT:
Fun fact, that Tahoe was the guy I saw with 2WD get stuck.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have much experience compared to some others that live in areas that snow all winter. But my Parents have a cabin in the mountains and I do go up during the winter.

What I noticed is that when I used the diff lock, all it wanted to do was slide sideways and not go forward. It was actually better to drive with the open diff on the road. Now this was only with a small amount of snow on the road....could be different with more.

OP, I would suggest getting some chains or cables (cheaper). I use cables and drive around without the diff lock on and it works great.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Chains really go a long long way when it comes to traction. If someone breaks a trail for you, I would think you'd make it through fine. Have recovery equipment with you in case you need a tow. The worst part would be if those ruts freeze, not having power to the front end forces you to go where the ruts lead you. I've said it once, I'll say it again, TIRES TIRES TIRES!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Chains really go a long long way when it comes to traction. If someone breaks a trail for you, I would think you'd make it through fine. Have recovery equipment with you in case you need a tow. The worst part would be if those ruts freeze, not having power to the front end forces you to go where the ruts lead you. I've said it once, I'll say it again, TIRES TIRES TIRES!!!
I agree, I almost never go into 4wd. Just take it easy, make sure you have decent tires, and get some weight in the back. I like having a shovel in the snow so that if the back insists on breaking loose aven with a soft foot I can just shovel 100lbs or so of snow back there for even more weight.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #17

yea i would get chains for sure if the snow is THAT deep. I took my truck up to Bogus basin in idaho a few times and I never had any problems with it, no chains either.

get a flat bill shovel, a few sand bags, and some chains/cables and go for it!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #18

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
So another question about chains.... When do you actually put them on? When roads are Icy do you throw them on, or before you head into deep snow?

Also, what do you do in this situation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_iu...eature=related
Other than trying to stop the car with your foot....

And for everyone's enjoyment, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPRm...eature=related
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyvR View Post
So another question about chains.... When do you actually put them on? When roads are Icy do you throw them on, or before you head into deep snow?

Also, what do you do in this situation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_iu...eature=related
Other than trying to stop the car with your foot....
As you said, do NOT open the door and try to stop a vehicle with your foot, that's a great way to seriously hurt yourself. When your tires are locked like that, you lose any steering control of the car, although it's counter-intuitive, you should turn the steering wheel and try to get the front tires to pull you out of the slide (that's an AWD Subaru in the video, doesn't work for 2wd trucks obviously). If that happens to you in a rear wheel drive truck, steer out of it as best you can but if you're just uncontrollably sliding, sometimes there's not much you can do...

As far as chains, put them on before you head into the deep snow. As far as road conditions, it's a judgement call. They ride very very rough on plowed roads so I wouldn't use them there personally, unless it's a desolate area where getting stuck is a very serious situation. Tire chains are for more extreme conditions, good snow tires will get you through just about any traveled and plowed road and even some that are not plowed.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #20

hahaha those idiots got out of their car! thanks for that video.

sometimes those things are unavoidable...if your too worried about it you probably shouldnt get out in it. Dont lock up the brakes..that only makes it worse, like said above, try and steer your way out of it or to a "safe" area.