R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Downhill brake saving

Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Downhill brake saving

Ran the 4 peaks trail for the second time sunday.
I noticed on the first run I really used the brakes a ton on the downhill section close to the end on the way down from 4 peaks.
Brakes were pretty smelly and I know brakes pretty good.
This time I put the truck in 4low and let the engine brake help out .
Now I did keep it under 25 mph so I don't think I hurt it that way.

Is it bad to use it this way?
I can only down shift to 3 on the 2 wheel drive and it is pretty much freewheeling and I have to ride the brakes a bunch.

What can I do in an automatic other than 4 low?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can downshift as much as you need to slow down. The computer will not let you downshift too much. Using 4wd low is ok to slow as long as you aren't turning a lot on a high traction surface. Well 4wd is not meant for street use anyway.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Never had that problem. I've actually shifted right down to 1 on steep hills around here. Just in 2 wheel drive. If you get going to fast of course it will not shift down so shift before you speed up. You may have to apply the brakes to get it to shift lower.

I drive like I have no brakes. I shift down always on steep hills before I'll use them. Never had a problem. I've also never had a problem with the brakes. My sig picture is me sitting on top of a mountain round here. That is basically the last of the trees.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to go into "L" just fine. Try second or first next time. Regardless, running in 4low is fine too.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the downhill assist and it did not help slow down, I think it just helps you keep from locking up on a down hill . But shouldn't the abs do that?
I must be doing something wrong in 2 wheel drive it seems I can only manually down shift to 3.
I guess I will read the manual as that is allways the last resort!!!!!!

Thanks all!!!

This trail is on dirt and the two times I have done it the brakes were getting hot and I could definatly smell them.
It drops pretty quick for the last 5 miles or so.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding is downhill assist only works in 4low. But yeah if you're off road, I'd throw it in 4low, shift to L and use downhill assist. That should keep you under 10mph.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
BritMike will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
Downhill assist - 4Lo, 2 or L below 15 mph. (Pretty sure it doesn't work if you've got the locker engaged)

Remember though downhill assist will still use the brakes to slow you down if it has too.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Need a manual trans!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer to manually manage gears/brakes rather than use the DAC. But if it were a stupid long hill, I might let DAC do its thing.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Need a manual trans!
That is what I thought at the time but I soon came to my senses and realised I could find a better way to save my brakes than have an extra pedal to push a couple hundred times a day
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
My understanding is downhill assist only works in 4low. But yeah if you're off road, I'd throw it in 4low, shift to L and use downhill assist. That should keep you under 10mph.
Under 10 mph would kill me! I was flying on the way down lol, love that trail
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
Under 10 mph would kill me! I was flying on the way down lol, love that trail

I was trying to stay about 20-25 mph.
I had to take it easyfor the two Jeeps following me