1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Give me some insight on AZ gun laws.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 05RedTaco, May 23, 2011.

1. May 23, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco [OP] Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Before anybody says anything, I searched...lol

Here is the situation. I am NOT a citizen, but a green card holder. I went to purchase a hand gun, but was stopped by a pretty big obstacle. The gun shop wanted three things;

1, my drivers license

2, my green card

3, UTILITY BILL

OK lol for some of you that wouldn't be a problem, however all my utilities are paid by my employer. I am a property manager/maintenance and live on site. I like having utilities paid, means I make less on paper, therefore I pay less taxes. However when trying to purchase a hand gun that was kind of inconvenient...

First off I would like to know if they are not bs'ing me! Secondly the other option is to have my wife buy the hand gun. My wife is an American citizen. I wonder if that is going to be an issue since i would carry it 100% of the time.

Now I doubt that I can even get a CCW. I know that in AZ IF you are 21 and American citizen you do NOT need CCW. Well I am NOT a citizen and it will be a few years before I can apply for citizenship :( I wonder If I can even get a CCW, since I cannot produce an utility bill...

Lastly I believe that I can carry a handgun in AZ without a permit, even if I am NOT a citizen, if its NOT concealed.

Let me know. I work sometimes in questionable ares, live on site and have to evict people. I want to be able to defend my family if anyone would get pissed off enough to come after me...

2. May 23, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Thank you for trying to do this the legally. Let me ask around but I'm sure you have to be a citizen of the US still.

3. May 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Hey Tony,
    Check out this guys books and info Alan is very good and you will get the correct info.
    I am not sure if you can legally own a firearm with a green card, if you cannot own one do not have anyone purchase one for you. That is a big no no, go directly to jail deal.

http://www.gunlaws.com/PageNineIndex.htm

4. May 23, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco [OP] Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I know I CAN legally own a firearm with a green card. All what stopped me from getting one was NOT having a utility bill, since none of my major utilities (water, trash, electricity or gas) or in my name.

5. May 23, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    What about a cell phone bill? Car Insurance? Those should qualify as a utility bill. They just need to establish your residence.

From what I found you can legally get a CCW

From azdps.gov:
    E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:
    1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.
    2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.
    3. Is not under indictment for and has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of a felony unless that conviction has been expunged, set aside or vacated or the applicant's rights have been restored and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

So, you just need to get the utility bill figured out for buying the firearm. It would be legal for your wife to buy it and give it to you under Arizona law, you would just need to open carry until you got your CCW permit (As far as I can figure out).

6. May 23, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    This is from www.handgunlaw.us:

Arizona has passed what they are calling “Constitutional Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license.

Products Discussed in

To Top