Click here for latest Crown King weather forecast
Update: Fire restrictions have been lifted as of 7/12! We are good to go for campfires!
We will be departing early Saturday morning July 30 from two different directions to ascend the Bradshaw mountains and meet up at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow campground) just outside of the town of Crown King. We will be camping overnight at the lake and heading home Sunday. There will be 2 different groups:
- 4x4 high clearance only - ascending the "back way", or south side, via Castle Hot Springs road off of the 74 Highway (aka Carefree Highway) and north via the Crown King Trail. This is approximately a 30 mile dirt road trail once on Castle Hot Springs road, and is expected to take our group about 4 hours to ascend to Crown King pending no real issues or hold-ups. This trail is not suitable for 2 wheel drives or Prerunners due to its rugged, rutted and boulder-ridden terrain. Recovery gear is always recommended, and bring a full size spare if you have one.
My fiancee and I plan to be at the "Hot Bagels & Deli" restaurant at 6am for breakfast, and it's only 15 minutes away from the turnoff to start the trail. They are located on the n/e corner of the Carefree Highway and I-17. Their restaurant faces east, and is right across the street from a gas station where I plan to top off. You all are welcome to meet up there if you wish. The 2wd folks can also meet here if they want.
- 2 wheel drives, Prerunners & all others - ascending the "front way", or east side, via 1-17 just north of Black Canyon city exiting at Highway 59 (Bumblebee Exit). This is a dirt road but is car-friendly and is about 27 miles from the I-17. This route should take approximately 1 hour to reach Crown King pending no stops or issues.
Anyone in this group, please decide when/where you want to meet up and I will update it here so everyone knows where to go at what time.
The campground & meeting spot
Once either group reaches Crown King (first group there is responsible for grabbing enough sites for all of us!), we will be meeting 6 miles away at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow Campground). This is a Prerunner-friendly dirt road as well. There should be enough room for all of us, pending another large group hasn't occupied the campsites. There are basic bathroom facilities for those who need it, but bring your own drinkable water and supplies. There is a $10 fee per night at the campground per campsite per night, and a $5 fee for each additional vehicle in the same campsite. So, if we share campsites we can save a couple bucks. You are responsible for bringing your own cash for this fee.
Click here to view the Prescott National Forest link to Hazlet Hollow Campground for more information and directions
Here's a pic of the lake. It's small, but has fishing from a few parts of the shore or by float tube or small boat. I read that there are bass, catfish and sunfish. You can guarantee that I'll be getting a line wet while out there.
Unless you all agree otherwise, this is a bring your own gear/food/water trip. It's always less frustrating than depending on others for key parts of your supplies and having them "forget" their part. I'm bringing my own gear regardless.
Here's who's going
Group 1 (4x4 only)
- Seabass (Adam) +1
- 97yota4wd (Eric)
- moose1988 (Josh) Maybe.. cause hes a bad boy.
- cannonball (Justin) maybe
- paden (Paden)
- mmallin99 (Mark) +1 hes gonna own that bitch
- OuTkAsT (Josh)
- b4iceman (James) - trail run, no camping
- extremachn1 (Chas)
- staticsquelch (Steve) tentative!
- pizza (Ryan)
- 08pretaco (Oliver)
- ColtsTRD (Scott) coming with Oliver ^^
- T4C0CH40S (Stefen) +2
- motorsport36 (Jason)
- bmo05 (Brandon)
- brandonaz (Brandon from Avid Off-Road)
- SGT Taco (Scott) - truck "unavailable" so probably won't make it
- ColtsTRD (Scott)
Hot Bagels & Deli - 6am meet spot for both groups for breakfast & gas top-off (menu)
Full trail for Prerunner group - waypoint "B" is your airdown/final check spot
Full trail for 4x4 group - waypoint "C" is your airdown/final check spot
4 Sons Food Stores - gas station/market right across the street from the bagel shop*
*If you fill up at the 4 Sons gas station listed directly above, you'll probably pay about $.20 more per gallon than anywhere else in the valley. Suggest that you only top off here and fill up somewhere else along the way. They have a store for last-minute ice and groceries, but the McDonald's in the same parking lot has much cheaper ice.
Waypoint "B" on the Prerunner trail and waypoint "C" on the 4x4 trail are great places for everyone to do a last stop to air down, wait for your group, etc. before starting the trail.
See you there!