R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Crown King Run & Camp - July 30/31 2011

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Crown King Run & Camp - July 30/31 2011

This is the revised Crown King trail run and campout now scheduled for Saturday/Sunday July 30/31, 2011.

Click here for latest Crown King weather forecast

Update: Fire restrictions have been lifted as of 7/12! We are good to go for campfires!

We will be departing early Saturday morning July 30 from two different directions to ascend the Bradshaw mountains and meet up at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow campground) just outside of the town of Crown King. We will be camping overnight at the lake and heading home Sunday. There will be 2 different groups:
  1. 4x4 high clearance only - ascending the "back way", or south side, via Castle Hot Springs road off of the 74 Highway (aka Carefree Highway) and north via the Crown King Trail. This is approximately a 30 mile dirt road trail once on Castle Hot Springs road, and is expected to take our group about 4 hours to ascend to Crown King pending no real issues or hold-ups. This trail is not suitable for 2 wheel drives or Prerunners due to its rugged, rutted and boulder-ridden terrain. Recovery gear is always recommended, and bring a full size spare if you have one.

My fiancee and I plan to be at the "Hot Bagels & Deli" restaurant at 6am for breakfast, and it's only 15 minutes away from the turnoff to start the trail. They are located on the n/e corner of the Carefree Highway and I-17. Their restaurant faces east, and is right across the street from a gas station where I plan to top off. You all are welcome to meet up there if you wish. The 2wd folks can also meet here if they want.

2. 2 wheel drives, Prerunners & all others - ascending the "front way", or east side, via 1-17 just north of Black Canyon city exiting at Highway 59 (Bumblebee Exit). This is a dirt road but is car-friendly and is about 27 miles from the I-17. This route should take approximately 1 hour to reach Crown King pending no stops or issues.

Anyone in this group, please decide when/where you want to meet up and I will update it here so everyone knows where to go at what time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The campground & meeting spot

Once either group reaches Crown King (first group there is responsible for grabbing enough sites for all of us!), we will be meeting 6 miles away at Horsethief Basin Lake (Hazlet Hollow Campground). This is a Prerunner-friendly dirt road as well. There should be enough room for all of us, pending another large group hasn't occupied the campsites. There are basic bathroom facilities for those who need it, but bring your own drinkable water and supplies. There is a $10 fee per night at the campground per campsite per night, and a $5 fee for each additional vehicle in the same campsite. So, if we share campsites we can save a couple bucks. You are responsible for bringing your own cash for this fee.

Click here to view the Prescott National Forest link to Hazlet Hollow Campground for more information and directions

Here's a pic of the lake. It's small, but has fishing from a few parts of the shore or by float tube or small boat. I read that there are bass, catfish and sunfish. You can guarantee that I'll be getting a line wet while out there.

Unless you all agree otherwise, this is a bring your own gear/food/water trip. It's always less frustrating than depending on others for key parts of your supplies and having them "forget" their part. I'm bringing my own gear regardless.

Here's who's going

Group 1 (4x4 only)
  1. Seabass (Adam) +1
  2. 97yota4wd (Eric)
  3. moose1988 (Josh) Maybe.. cause hes a bad boy.
  4. cannonball (Justin) maybe
  5. paden (Paden)
  6. mmallin99 (Mark) +1 hes gonna own that bitch
  7. OuTkAsT (Josh)
  8. b4iceman (James) - trail run, no camping
  9. extremachn1 (Chas)
Group 2 (Prerunner & 2 wheel friendly)
  1. staticsquelch (Steve) tentative!
  2. pizza (Ryan)
  3. 08pretaco (Oliver)
  4. ColtsTRD (Scott) coming with Oliver ^^
  5. T4C0CH40S (Stefen) +2
  6. motorsport36 (Jason)
  7. bmo05 (Brandon)
Maybe
  1. brandonaz (Brandon from Avid Off-Road)
  2. SGT Taco (Scott) - truck "unavailable" so probably won't make it
Bailer's List of Shame
  1. ColtsTRD (Scott)
Maps

Hot Bagels & Deli - 6am meet spot for both groups for breakfast & gas top-off (menu)
Full trail for Prerunner group - waypoint "B" is your airdown/final check spot
Full trail for 4x4 group - waypoint "C" is your airdown/final check spot
4 Sons Food Stores - gas station/market right across the street from the bagel shop*

*If you fill up at the 4 Sons gas station listed directly above, you'll probably pay about $.20 more per gallon than anywhere else in the valley. Suggest that you only top off here and fill up somewhere else along the way. They have a store for last-minute ice and groceries, but the McDonald's in the same parking lot has much cheaper ice.

Waypoint "B" on the Prerunner trail and waypoint "C" on the 4x4 trail are great places for everyone to do a last stop to air down, wait for your group, etc. before starting the trail.

See you there!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna have to pass again. Will most likely be lifted by then, But will still be out of the country I think. When I get back, I've got a quick turn-around before I'm heading on another trip. I leave for that second trip 3 Aug I think..
Old 07-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for subbing purposes and future subscription viewing
Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, is there a trail up there that isn't as hard core as Crown King Trail but isn't just a dirt road that Grandma's minivan could take? Something fun but not too crazy? I have a mostly stock 4x4 with no lift, and I'm uncertain whether I'll even have my armor in time for this trip. I've asked this before because I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle CKT but some people are trying to talk me in to it while others are telling me not to. I just want to know for sure before we get up there and start beating on my only vehicle that I need to get to and from work, lol.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I work the Saturday this event is going on

Actually the trails easy so I might dive up real quick after work...idk yet
Old 07-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Make a quick run out of it! I'm liking the idea
Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a trail up there that isn't as hard core as Crown King Trail but isn't just a dirt road that Grandma's minivan could take? Something fun but not too crazy? I have a mostly stock 4x4 with no lift, and I'm uncertain whether I'll even have my armor in time for this trip. I've asked this before because I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle CKT but some people are trying to talk me in to it while others are telling me not to. I just want to know for sure before we get up there and start beating on my only vehicle that I need to get to and from work, lol.

Read the first post again and see trail option 2, aka the "front way". I see minivans on it all the time, literally.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Out of curiosity, is there a trail up there that isn't as hard core as Crown King Trail
I was playing around In Google trying to find a route and there seems to be a way to go up Buckhorn Rd to FR 362 and then up Wagoner Road. I've never scouted it so I can't say if it is better than the front side but it would certainly have less traffic and probably better scenery and fun trail stuff....
Old 07-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That was my point, Adam, I didn't want to go the minivan way. But I've talked to a couple guys and we'll take the 4X4 trail with the rest of you.
A stock 4x4 is plenty capable to go the back way. You'll be fine.

Adam....Think I could get my boat on that lake, or are there HP restrictions?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #12

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Adam....Think I could get my boat on that lake, or are there HP restrictions?

LOL its only a 3 acre lake!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Almost there

If Chris cant take his boat, we can always just have someone bring a wakeboard, tie it to a tow hitch and the truck can tow from land while the person is in the water haha
Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
if someone is going the front way maybe they can bring my kayaks to fish out of
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
LOL its only a 3 acre lake!
LOL! Well.......it would give the fish a good scare
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
mmallin99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
mmallin99's Tacoma Gallery
bring your DINGY! lol Adam count me in. me and the mrs will prolly meet ya at the bagels chop shop. lol and dont forget to bring some TP or baby wipes, incase you go to "paint a rock" lol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmallin99 View Post
bring your DINGY! lol Adam count me in. me and the mrs will prolly meet ya at the bagels chop shop. lol and dont forget to bring some TP or baby wipes, incase you go to "paint a rock" lol
maybe adam appreciates abstract art lol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #18

lol. abstract or aborted art? lol
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #19

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That was my point, Adam, I didn't want to go the minivan way. But I've talked to a couple guys and we'll take the 4X4 trail with the rest of you.
Awesome! Added to the 4x4 list. We'll have enough recovery gear to get anyone unstuck, I just want to keep a good pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Make a quick run out of it! I'm liking the idea
I'll put you as a "maybe" for the 4x2 trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
I was playing around In Google trying to find a route and there seems to be a way to go up Buckhorn Rd to FR 362 and then up Wagoner Road. I've never scouted it so I can't say if it is better than the front side but it would certainly have less traffic and probably better scenery and fun trail stuff....
Pretty sure that any trail up the back way is going to be rutted and need 4x4 and/or high clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That's gonna depend on driving skill without the higher clearance, and the condition of the trail. Sounds like they grated the hardest part at the top, but there's still some tricky parts that might give a stocker 4x4 some issues without better tread and a little protection underneath. Last year I would have hit bottom 3 or 4 times without 3" of lift, but to each his own. I'd just hate to see someone with their stock daily driver up there getting hung on rocks and hating life for deciding to go the back way.

Quote:
Added!

Quote:
lol. abstract or aborted art? lol
Either will do. I'm done having kids anyways
Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #20

lol. man i cant wait for this trip. gonna be alot of fun. meet new people. take my baby out, rough her up a lil, i mean the truck. lol cook some good food cast a line in the 16x16 foot pond. lol jk should be alot of fun

Products Discussed in this Thread