R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Wheeling and Hiking next weekend.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeling and Hiking next weekend.

All,
I want to do a wheel & hike day next weekend. Either on Saturday the 23rd or Sunday the 24th. I dont really know many areas outside of Tucson to do this.

What I was thinking was a fairly early morning meet somewhere to do some wheeling up to a spot and then dismount for a hike. Either up to a water spot or just a hike to where ever. Then return to the vehicles and some wheeling out. So pretty much a full days fun.

Anyone else know any places and want to go and do it. Yes I know the temps will be 105-110 but I am fine with that. So lets do it!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
It would be great also to find a spot with a hike that included a lake!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
It would be great also to find a spot with a hike that included a lake!
Yea, it really would.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
Is this still on?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
I really dont know a place to go but I am willing to be adventurous and explore anytime.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
That's three of us. Anyone else who knows the area?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
I have the "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails" book that has some pretty cool roads in it.

There is some cool stuff around the Flourance area that I am interested in. A lot of old mine trails that are considered "Moderate" and "Difficult."

MATINEZ CANYON LOOP
JACK HANDLE
MARTINEZ CABIN

COKE OVENS.. This one looks very intereesting and is 90% a moderate trail with a small bit that is considered difficult. Looks like really cool old coke ovens and left over buildings. Its a 6-7 hour trip round trip start to finish. according to the book.

Walnut Canyon.. ANother moderate trail with AWESOME views. 20 miles, 5-6 hours.

There is some shorter, some longer and also quite a few in the Saguaro Lake area we went a few weeks ago.
RENO PASS (difficult)
SUNFLOWER MINE (Moderate/Difficult)
FOUR PEAKS (EASY) but beautiful vistas.
TELEGRAPH LINE ROAD (DIFFICULT)
APACHE TRAIL (VERY EASY/EASY) but REALLY COOL views

I dont know how much of the first group is burned up from that fire if it was in that area. Look up some of those trails and lets hit one. I am thinking something in the moderate (maybe some difficult) for a first time run unless someone has been to one of these areas before and knows more about it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
There is also a few areas around the Tucson area thatI know of and in the book I have as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
I miss my Taco

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
Im down, but since I'm still a noob I don't want to jump into a difficult trail.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Post on azt4wd.com we have a few Tucson guys that know some great spots. If you arent a member make and intro an I'll aprrove you tomorrow
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
I have been on there for a little while. Here is my post:
http://azt4wda.com/index.php?topic=323.0
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I have the "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails" book that has some pretty cool roads in it.

There is some cool stuff around the Flourance area that I am interested in. A lot of old mine trails that are considered "Moderate" and "Difficult."

MATINEZ CANYON LOOP
JACK HANDLE
MARTINEZ CABIN

COKE OVENS.. This one looks very intereesting and is 90% a moderate trail with a small bit that is considered difficult. Looks like really cool old coke ovens and left over buildings. Its a 6-7 hour trip round trip start to finish. according to the book.

Walnut Canyon.. ANother moderate trail with AWESOME views. 20 miles, 5-6 hours.

There is some shorter, some longer and also quite a few in the Saguaro Lake area we went a few weeks ago.
RENO PASS (difficult)
SUNFLOWER MINE (Moderate/Difficult)
FOUR PEAKS (EASY) but beautiful vistas.
TELEGRAPH LINE ROAD (DIFFICULT)
APACHE TRAIL (VERY EASY/EASY) but REALLY COOL views

I dont know how much of the first group is burned up from that fire if it was in that area. Look up some of those trails and lets hit one. I am thinking something in the moderate (maybe some difficult) for a first time run unless someone has been to one of these areas before and knows more about it.

look at the bold^^

that trail i would suggest not doing unless you have sliders, front and rear bumper, and a lift. josh would be maybe okay because of his short wheel base, but you chas, your steps would go bye bye
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
REALLY. That trail must have gotten worse since that book was published since most of it is considered moderate. Would still be interesting to see (eventually).

I plan on replacing my steps with full on sliders here soon. As well as an armored rear bumper with tire carrier. I jsut got my skid plates in so those are going on. I am working on turning my truck into an expidition type vehicle so..
Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
I miss my Taco

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
Any other trials that are good for fairly stock vehicles?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Some of yhe trails they consider moderate are far off
Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
I miss my Taco

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
Far off as in distance or as in far from moderate?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
I am going to guess far off of moderate, as in much harder. But only one way to find out and thats try them!!! LoL
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #20
If you do the offroad trip next weekend I will bring it for you to check out.