Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

How do you guys carry spare gas/water?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
mpmoody is on a distinguished road
Army:
mpmoody's Tacoma Gallery
How do you guys carry spare gas/water?

I went camping this weekend up around the Mormon Lake area and have a few questions for you guys: how are you carrying spare gas and water?

I use those five gallon jerry cans to carry gas. While they are harder to find and a lot more expensive, they last a lot longer than any cheap ass plastic California legal can. However, I see a lot of those weekend warrior types with the toy haulers and Glamis/Got Sand decals carrying gas in some sort of plastic container with a flexible vinyl tube and a pvc cap on the end. Is this a more effective/efficient way to carry fuel?

As far as carrying water, I brought up two cases of bottled water and a few gallon jugs. As you can imagine, the jugs and cases do not hold up well to a bumpy dirt road. I just went to Walmart and bought one of those seven gallon blue plastic Aquatainers for $10.88. I plan on getting another one and dispensing water into a nalgene bottle instead of constantly opening tiny bottles of water.

Anyone have any suggestions or better ideas? I spend a total of one or two weeks each year camped out deep in the forest out near Mormon Lake, or miles into the Chiricauhua Mountains pursuing coues deer. Solid and leak proof are a big plus, as running out of either liquid leaves me SOL.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
the gas can you are talking about are about $30 (thats what i payed for, for the 2 i have) i use them for my dirt bike. and i would not use that in a truck. because they expand a bit in the heat/sun ( like all plastic cans) i would use the mettle ones kinda like the old army/ jeep ones. and on water when we go 4wheeling with the atv’s we just take the bottles in a cooler.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking of getting a 5 gallon plastic container with the tube thingy.

http://fl2.shopmania.org/files/image...te~3916730.jpg

I think as long as it is not in the sun 24/7 should be able to hold up decent...no?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I have been thinking of getting a 5 gallon plastic container with the tube thingy.

http://fl2.shopmania.org/files/image...te~3916730.jpg

I think as long as it is not in the sun 24/7 should be able to hold up decent...no?
maybe. BUT i would not because of all the sloshing (off roading/ camping) just 1h drive they expand quite a bit like a 1” or 2” in the bed just going down the interstate. and the plastic gets kinda sticky and weaker over time. the ones i had, had different necks when i got them. in 2009 and they broke last year. the cans stay in the garage, now i have the hose necks. and like them.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i thought about the cans i just dont really want to hear all the clanking and shit. guess ill just have to figure out a solid way to mount them
Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
i thought about the cans i just dont really want to hear all the clanking and shit. guess ill just have to figure out a solid way to mount them
you can use them. but IMHO i think the army/old jeep ones would be better for off roading and camping.

i was just giving info and opinion from a users stand point.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
mpmoody is on a distinguished road
Army:
mpmoody's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had a rubbermaid tub in my bed, up against the cab, that had a jerry can and something else wedged in between to keep it from rattling around. I might look into a bed bar to ratchet a jerry to when I'm not hauling a ton of crap.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Almost there

no thats fine lol i totally appreciate it. Just mentioned some downsides to the metal ones and you mentioned great downsides to the plastic set!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Camo Dude will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
Camo Dude's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to look at Rotopax a little expesive but they have a mount for the rails in the bed
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I carry 7 gal plastic containers from walmart for water. As far as fuel goes, i'm gonna pic me up some rotopax as soon as im ready for expeditions.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Check my sig for how I carry nato gas cans.

I also carry rigid five gallon water jugs, which I tie in the upright position to my bed divider.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo Dude View Post
You may want to look at Rotopax a little expesive but they have a mount for the rails in the bed
these are GREAT! we are thinking about getting one for the atv’s.

if you get these. get the Rotopax brand. the others are really bad for leaking.

and i do agree jerry cans have some down sides too.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i have tons of the 5 gallon gas jugs with the hose on it, as said above it does expand when driving. i have brought one with me while wheeling and it did fine, no leakage or anything.