R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Best top super top? What do you think?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
dira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David
dira1987's Tacoma Gallery
Best top super top? What do you think?

Hey guys, just figured out there is a local side to this website! Any opinions on the best top super top (like pictures below) and how it handles in the az heat? Is it easy to take on and off? Ive seen a few in the area (one on a red taco at REI on southern and priest) and i am wondering if its for me? Does it do well offroad? Easy to clean? Sorry for the questions! I figure ive done so many purchases without research i might as well start some good habits now... Thanks guys![IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rivasd/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Best top super top? What do you think?-besttop1.jpg   Best top super top? What do you think?-rubytacoma2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
mpmoody is on a distinguished road
mpmoody's Tacoma Gallery
762x51taco has one. I won't speak for him, but the thing looks pretty sweet and is a lot easier to deal with than a camper shell.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i want one! badly
Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. Love mine!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine:

Don't get it if you have a full-size bed. The DC ones seem to be fine. The ones for the 6' bed have problems. Mine was a piece of crap. Two of the riveted snaps popped out during the initial installation, and then the unit failed on the freeway coming home from Flagstaff after <1 month of use, damaging my truck and almost causing an accident as it ripped itself from the truck and jettisoned into the air in front of oncoming traffic. I've seen other pictures online of the same thing happening to others with the 6' bed. There is a design flaw with how it seals to the front of the truck bed, it's just Velcro and two plastic clips. The manufacturer even admitted that this was not the first time they had seen this, and acknowledged (verbally) that the unit was not improperly installed.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You know Josh,

Besttop has great warranty service!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Almost there

See what I mean Got your money back due to a bad product...probably with very little arguing as well!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
See what I mean Got your money back due to a bad product...probably with very little arguing as well!
It took a lot of arguing actually, a total of two weeks worth to get an RMA, then they wouldn't pay the return shipping (my retailer ended up picking up the bill for that), and then they had the item in their possession for another two weeks before a credit was issued to my retailer. I've definitely had better CS, but they did eventually take care of the issue. I still wouldn't recommend one to anyone with a 6' box. I don't go around bashing companies on the internet, but if something has a design flaw which raises serious safety concerns, I'm going to speak up.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Almost there

Damn man, maybe you dealt with the wrong retailer...sorry to hear that!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
the people at bestop are very nice and understannding. I have a bestop and the first one they sent had something sewn on wrong and they overnighted me a brand new set up and gave me extra clamps for the bed rails which woulda been like another $20-$30?

As far as how it handles the heat i cant compare CA to AZ but it is much easier to put up and down and put on the windows too with the heat. When you wash it you want to just use a sponge and wash it just like you would the rest of the truck, just a little more gentle. I wouldnt go thru a car wash with it though. Just my .02 cents

So to answer everything. It is for you, its great having the option of putting it up and down within 2 minutes. not difficult to clean. Again i dont have the same weather but i couldnt see it being affected dramatically from the Az weather.

BUY BUY BUY

Edit: theres also a TW discount if you order from streetsideauto.com
and a seperate discount code i know which gives the same discount as the TW one
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Almost there

^ See thats how I see almost all experiences go with them! Thats great to hear!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
^ See thats how I see almost all experiences go with them! Thats great to hear!
if i could +1 them i would ha
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Here's mine:

Don't get it if you have a full-size bed. The DC ones seem to be fine. The ones for the 6' bed have problems. Mine was a piece of crap. Two of the riveted snaps popped out during the initial installation, and then the unit failed on the freeway coming home from Flagstaff after <1 month of use, damaging my truck and almost causing an accident as it ripped itself from the truck and jettisoned into the air in front of oncoming traffic. I've seen other pictures online of the same thing happening to others with the 6' bed. There is a design flaw with how it seals to the front of the truck bed, it's just Velcro and two plastic clips. The manufacturer even admitted that this was not the first time they had seen this, and acknowledged (verbally) that the unit was not improperly installed.

Josh, why you gotta be a party pooper. I have one and love it. I had the same problem that Josh did and that was that the front kept pulling off the velcro and flapping and banging against my window (HARD) at anything over 60mph. Unfortunatly his finally turned into a kite and took flight. I fixed my problem with a $5 piece of flat bar from home depot and a few screws and wing nuts. Just put the flat bar ontop of the bestop where it velcros down, drill 4-5 small holes into the barstock, bestop velcro (the top as well) and the
bedrail. Then put the screws up through the holes and tighten the wing nuts down. Problem solved.

My bestop has held up well here in Arizona. Because of the heat they tend to stretch and sag just a little bit but thats to be expected in 110 degree heat. Other than that, I love mine.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
lol, not trying to be a party pooper. I'm sure there was more turbulence on the top being mounted to a single cab, and I would have modified mine to not die if I had known about this issue prior to it happening, but all I heard were these raving reviews so I can't keep my mouth shut and let it happen to someone else.

By the way, that all happened on the first trip I took it on, so it didn't "finally" happen lol. It had been on the truck for about a month in the city, but never saw speeds of over 70 MPH for more than 10 minutes at a time.

The other thing I might add is that if you have a dark tinted rear window like I do, you cannot see shit out the back with the top up.

$.02 + $5.00 given, now I'll shut up.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have had no issues whatsoever on my 6' bed. Yes the velcro is the weak link but my top has stayed attached without issue on daily 70 mph runs for the last year.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
lol, not trying to be a party pooper. I'm sure there was more turbulence on the top being mounted to a single cab, and I would have modified mine to not die if I had known about this issue prior to it happening, but all I heard were these raving reviews so I can't keep my mouth shut and let it happen to someone else.

By the way, that all happened on the first trip I took it on, so it didn't "finally" happen lol. It had been on the truck for about a month in the city, but never saw speeds of over 70 MPH for more than 10 minutes at a time.

The other thing I might add is that if you have a dark tinted rear window like I do, you cannot see shit out the back with the top up.

$.02 + $5.00 given, now I'll shut up.
Dude, I am just giving you shit. It suprised the hell out of me when mine started banging around so I know what your talking about.

I totally agree with the tinted window. I have mine tinted dark as well and its a bitch to see out, especially when dirty. When I do road trips and nothing is in the back I take my back window off.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had mine on for a couple weeks and love it. Ive gone up to 95mph and havent had any problems with it. Surprisingly water tight too I thought it would leak a hell of alot more.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I said this in another Bestop thread... call Bestop Customer Service and order two additional clamps to put on the front rail (like ~$15). The velcro is not sufficient. I ordered two xtra clamps for mine and they arrived before the actual top did. That fucker does not move and I have driven in high winds and up to 90+mph. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the 6ft bed length versions.