1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strategic Default

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by TidalWave, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    TidalWave

TidalWave [OP] I have a shovel and no one will miss you...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mendy
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB
    4" Maxtrac Spindle lift, 33" BFG A/T, Avid weld on rock sliders and rear bumper, Smoked Projector Headlights, smoked tails and fogs, HID healights and fogs, flowmaster exhaust, Wet Okoles, debadged. Ready to take your milk money.
    A Strategic Default is when a borrower decides to stop paying a mortgage even though they may still be able to afford the payment. When the value of a property has fallen far below the mortgage debt and recovery of the equity lost is expected to take years, a borrower may elect to default based on the mortgage contract.

Please keep the flaming to a minimum. thanks!

I have been doing some research on this topic, and I know this is common in Phoenix. I bought my house in 2005 for 138,000, equity loan out in 2007 for $25,000 and refinanced in 2009 for 172,000. Similar houses in my complex are selling for 40-45000. I pay $1200 a month.

I was curious how many AZ people have gone this route/Strategic Default? How many of you rent your house from a private owner/realtor? Issues? I appreciate the info, thanks!

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would strongly urge you to contact a lawyer who deals with this sort of thing.

Keep in mind with any responses you get on here regarding this issue, this is an open forum so you may be getting input from a lawyer or some goober who has nothing better to do with his time. No offense to the members here but I wouldn't put too much weight in their responses when it comes to decisions directly related to my own livelihood.

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    I make all my life decisions based on what the internet tells me.

4. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I've heard of this also.
    Might be a quick way to improve your financial situation, but your credit will be damaged pretty badly for a long time.
    IMO If you aren't planning on moving, just tough it out. Markets go up & down.

5. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'll bet you live an entertaining and eventful life :)

6. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    TidalWave

TidalWave [OP] I have a shovel and no one will miss you...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mendy
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB
    4" Maxtrac Spindle lift, 33" BFG A/T, Avid weld on rock sliders and rear bumper, Smoked Projector Headlights, smoked tails and fogs, HID healights and fogs, flowmaster exhaust, Wet Okoles, debadged. Ready to take your milk money.
    I guess I was looking more for others experiences, not really info to sway me one way or another. I will be meeting with an attorney in the next few weeks.

A few more notes:

I have a townhouse, so I dont think the market would pick up enough to make it worth sticking around.

My HOA is run by the devil himself, so its not like it is pleasant in my complex to begin with.

In the research i have done so far, it would affect my credit for the next 4-5 years. I know this could affect my car insurance, my credit cards, etc. But now that i have my truck i am not looking to make another big purchase.

7. Jul 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    So, my fiancee and I just went through this whole decision and talked to many folks in the real estate and mortgage industry. Based on how upside down we were on just a first mortgage, everyone we spoke with told us to walk away. We both make plenty of money to own multiple homes, but want to have this bad investment behind us the quickest way possible.

All sources state that it's about a 3 year recovery to your credit if you default. But, that's based on having STELLAR credit during that time. But, based on the fact that we wouldn't break even on the value of our home for almost 10 years, we would recover credit-wise much faster if we walk away and rebuild. So, that's what we did.

Now, we are renting a home 2x the size of our townhouse, we pay less per month, and our commutes to work save us almost $400 a month in gas combined. Not to mention wear and tear. Yeah we're not building any equity as renters, but we were looking at negative equity for many more years by staying where we were. We are in a great position to save more for a nice down payment on a home. In 3 years we should be in great shape to buy a home at a good price.

Everyone's case is different, but if you're grossly upside down, consider all of your pros and cons before making such a huge decision. I suggest talking to a non-biased reputable mortgage officer or 2 before deciding further.

8. Jul 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I dont have very nuch knowledge to this issue, but my parents are looking to do the same thing. Their house up north towards Prescott is on the market, but they will be upside down as well. they are contemplating walking away. with two new vehicles, their own business, and great credit, they should be fine. as long as you don't need to make any big purchases in the near future I think you'll be ok.

9. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have thought about doing the same. I purchased my home in 2007 for $172k, I owe $164k on it now. Similar houses to mine are now selling in my neighborhood in the 120's. I was planning on being out of my house in 2-3 years based on the trending of the market back when I purchased. I'm at 4 years now and it will be a LONG time before values go back up.

At least I'm not as bad as my parents, they moved to Jacksonville FL in '07 because my dad got transferred and their house is now worth $120k less than what they paid. They're talking about pulling money out of their 401k and taking the loss, then moving back here to GA and buying a smaller house up here since all of the kids have moved out they don't need a 4,000 sq ft house anymore for the two of them.

10. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Sell everything and buy gold (you can get in Vegas at vending machines) and bury gold and then default. then after Bankruptcy unbury gold and come out ahead...

I'm a finance guy, for what it takes to get ahead on some of those upside down deals we're in its better to just get out.

Check out the state laws though..the fricken banks are THIEVES they come after your assets.

11. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow. A whole thread on fiscal irresponsibility.

You bought the house, pay for it.

12. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    ATriplett513

ATriplett513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cb, 4x4, 4.0L, 6-speed
    2 people very close to me have gone this route. It has it's pluses and minuses, but your credit gets boned.

13. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    it may keep you from getting a job in the future. Well over 50% of employers use credit checks to disqualify financially irresponsible applicants.

14. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Then I guess the unemployment rate in the US will go up to 20+% because that's how many people foreclosed in areas that were hit hard like ours. With defaults being so rampant in the past couple of years, credit checks see it as a norm now.

15. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    If you bought a car and it started costing you more than it was worth for years, would you keep it?

16. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

wow. please get the fuck out of this thread:D

17. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Is this similar to what the US government is thinking of doing August 3rd ?

18. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    No worries, Eric. If he sees that hanging on to a poor investment is "financially responsible", let him speak his mind. Yes, some of us made poor investments in the past, but instead of roasting in them some of us decided to get off our asses and get rid of them to better our lives.

19. Jul 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I got lucky, I purchased my house up in washington state which wasnt hit hard at all compared to this location, at the bottom of the slump so I got lucky and havent lost anything. Thats being said, down here I would walk away and cut your losses.
    I am actually thinking of buying a place in Tucson because you can get a place for so cheap that its 1/2 to 1/3 to buy a place as it is to rent. 10,000K down and I can get a decent place for 50-100K and your mortgage is no more than $500 a month.

As for a condo or a place with a HOA for the person who says thiers is the Devil... Run from an HOA as fast as you can. They are horrible and I will be damned if anyone tells me what color I cant paint my place, where to park my car, if I can have a boat in my driveway, or if I can hang a flag from my hosue. I am reading about HOA's that are forclosing on people for not paying your HOA dues if you cant afford it. They are putting a lein on peoples house, docking thier pay, evicting and forclosing because they are jacking up the HOA dues and people cant afford it anymore. WTF.

20. Jul 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    So... you decided to get off your ass and stop making your payments? :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top