R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Gun Powder Pass Tucson Az

Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Gun Powder Pass Tucson Az

Hey all,
Today I took a trip down south of Tucson to Gunpowder Pass. I went from point A on the map to point D. Points B and C are actually connected and its a bit of a differant path than what is shown but the roads arent on google.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=AZ...p=3&sz=13&z=13

I went to get a GPS today to replace mine that broke but the only decent one anyone had was a $500 garmin. I dont want to spend that much so I am going to order the one I want.
90% of this could be done in 2wd with a locker or TRAC. There was one spot or two spots I needed 4 low but it could probably be done in 4hi, it was just easier in 4 lo. The rest can be done in 4 hi. The part that was done in 4HI was more for safety reasons. The paths were CRAZY narrow in some spots with my drivers side tires against the wall and my passenger side riding the edge of the road.
There was one spot were the road had partially washed away and fell away into a 20-30 foot sheer drop. I had to go up the hill and blaze a new path because there is no way I was going to try what looked like unstable ground and end up in that ditch and backing down that narrow road would not be good.

All-in-all it was a nice easy run with some amazing views. Its an active ORV area much like Bucher Jones ORV so there are a lot of other trails and paths I saw. I found some cool abandoned mines. I went up to the mouth of a few of them but was not crazy enough to go in.

Here are some pictures from the run, so enjoy:
The coulds moving in over Gunpowder Pass

One leg off the ground like a dog taking a piss

Allpro skid plates...

Truck at abandoned mines (need 4 low and A-TRAC/LOCKER/or yellow wire mod to get here):

Abandoned mines from the road:

Abandoned ore chute:

Copper ore on a rock

View from Gunpowder pass over Sahurita:

Another view of Gunpowder pass over Sahurita:

Backside of gunpowder pass:

One of many large mud puddles I wanted to play in. I didnt because I did not know how deep they were and I had no one to pull me out!

Cool plant picture:

So I was driving down the backside and I caught this out of the corner of my eye. I had a camera with a good zoom so I stopped and snapped this picture of a Doe trotting down the road:

About 10 minutes later I came around a corner and mashed the brakes as I was face to face with the same Doe. She jumped up into the bushes and stopped to watch me. She was healthy and decent sized:

All in all it was a good trip. Wouldnt be a bad place to camp. I did not come across another soul while out there which was nice. I stopped a couple times and listened to the animals and wind.

On a side note this HUGE bug landed on my windshield, like a 5" long beetle, stood there for a minute, then shit on my windshield and drove off. I was like WTF, seriously!!! It was just a really WIERD thing so I thought I would share it with you.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Claymore21 has a spectacular aura aboutClaymore21 has a spectacular aura aboutClaymore21 has a spectacular aura about
Claymore21's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Those are some great pictures!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Thanks. It was cool watching he clouds and rain roll in from the south. I boogied it outta there though because I was on top of a mountain in a metal truck in an oncoming lightning storm. Not a good place to be. The clouds actually split and went around the mountain I was on and reformed over Tucson.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
xSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xSectionxEightx's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Pics! Looks like a fun trail...
Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
GUNSIGHT PASS pt 2

So today my girl was sick and watching someone's house so I decided absolutely last minute to put my skids back on and go play around in the mud in the truck. I wasnt planning on doing anything to hard core because I dont have my extended brake lines on yet. So I put my skids back on (is it sad I can do a complete set of All-pro skids by myself with no jack or lift at all in 20 minutes? LoL) and headed off the the backside of Gunsight pass.

It was raining and I knew of a couple good mud holes out there and there are tons of little side trails, muddy/clay roads, sharp mining rock trails, etc. I got down to the ORV area off the 83 southeast of Tucson and aired down to just 25 psi. Here are the pics:

Here is the nice clean truck as I was airing down:

I found some really sharp rocky trails that I actually needed 4-lo to get up. Here I am after a little play in some shallow mud up towards the top of the mountain just below the cloud level:

After a little more playing around I found this wall to climb. The pics dont do it justice on how steep it actually was. It would be hard to climb up with your hands and feet. Look at my i-pod o-shit meter and you will see:
BEFORE:

ON THE WALL, it was REALLY hard to get in and out of the truck to take these:

ON my way out of the park:

A really cool looking mine, I couldnt see the back of it and it was cut almost perfectly square into the rock wall. Also some really bright Lichen on a rock, that is the actual color:

So one cool thing I found was this really awesome wash that was a couple miles long that weaved in-between trees and sometimes was triple wide and sometimes was barely 1.5 truck widths wide. I was amazed at how well the suspension worked on the rocky stuff so I decided to try some high speed wash running and WOW. Thats all I can say, this fox racing stuff is amazing. There were times I was blasting down the wash 50-70+ mph rear tires never hooked up once thanks to the supercharger. The truck soaked up everything, I hit some bit bumps, thick sand, rocks, off camber turns, even jumped it twice (small ones). The thing never got out of line and felt like riding on a cloud. I was totally amazed to say the least.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
So I just went out and inspected/took pictures of my tires and I am shocked. Not a single torn lug, no chunks missing, and other than some small-ish surface cuts/scrapes there is nothing wrong with them. These are fairly new tires so not much experiance is out there with them and I got them for CHEAP so I didnt expect them to hold up this well. My BFG AT's showed a ton more wear with less use than these.

These pics were after the above high speed pro-running and plenty of hill climbing on crazy sharp, cragly, loose mining slag/rock.

These are the rear tires. A TON of tire spin with these thanks to the supercharger:

FRONT TIRES:

So far I am impressed with these.

EDIT: Oh, and they cleared thick/clay like mud very easily with minimal tire spin.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
congicus is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
congicus's Tacoma Gallery
Man looks like a fun trip
Old 11-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by congicus View Post
Man looks like a fun trip
Yea, it wasnt bad. There were a few crazy muddy and hard core offroad areas I saw that I wanted to try but didnt have anyone to rescue me or much in the way of self recovery gear.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
congicus is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
congicus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Yea, it wasnt bad. There were a few crazy muddy and hard core offroad areas I saw that I wanted to try but didnt have anyone to rescue me or much in the way of self recovery gear.
I have found myself in the same boat,,, I need to start getting some of that stuff
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful pictures man! Looks like a nice place...never been there myself.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by congicus View Post
I have found myself in the same boat,,, I need to start getting some of that stuff
Yea, my plans in the next 3-4 months are armored front/rear bumpers and a winch. It will be kinda hard to do the high speed stuff then, I dont know how much the weight will affect the suspension and handling... But I am willing to find out!!! LoL
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Beautiful pictures man! Looks like a nice place...never been there myself.
Thanks.. Most is 2wd friendly with a few 2wd w/ locker and 4x4 areas. The views from the top are amazing. I didnt go all the up this time because of the low cloud cover.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
If I wasn't so freakin tired I would have gone to help spot. And my shoulder is fk'n sore after yesterday.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like fun! I'd be down to run that.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
If I wasn't so freakin tired I would have gone to help spot. And my shoulder is fk'n sore after yesterday.
REALLY. I could have shoot another couple hundred rounds and still not felt it from that rifle. For me, I dont even notice that rifle.