1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with a Victory Transmission

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by SGT Taco, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    SGT Taco

SGT Taco [OP] It all fun and games till its not.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P. 2007 TRD, Land Rover Disco II, F250.
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    So i have this 2001 Victory V92SC with about 12,000 miles on it and it is my only means of transportation (thanks to Mesa P.D. locking up my Tacoma for 30 days) and it started slipping out of third gear under heavy load, and now it will not even take 4th... any ideas about the third and fourth gears? call victory and asked them what gears were sliders, free wheeling, and fixed but of course they just told me to bring it in and i dont have the 4 days for them to break it down and fix it... thinking about taking it apart this weekend and having a look... any advice or other takers for this project???

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    Park your truck somewhere else when walking the dogs!!! Stay the fuck out of trouble. And join the Army Reserve, ditch the nasty girls. Make a stink if they say no. How you been? I will try to be at the next meet and greet. Do you know any welders???

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    WTF??? how did you know that? Ash tell you?

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Dude, Scott.. I wish I didnt have a family thing this weekend. I would come help. Thats what I do on weekends it tear down my bikes. I used to race and did all my own work.

Sounds possibly like the 3rd gear shift dogs have become rounded, not much you can do if this is the case except replace the gears or have the dogs undercut.
    When that happens the gears tend to pop out of gear. The 3rd to 4th gear change sounds like possibly a bent shift fork. Do 1-3 work fine? You cant get it in 4th or 5th at all?

Not completly up on Victory motorcycles but is the transmission integral to the crank case like most sport bikes or is the transmission a seperate piece like on Harleys?

5. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Also, I would pull the clutch pack and clutch basket. There should be a shift detent spring and "star." I had a somewhat similar problem and the detent shift star bolt had come loose. Although mine came loose at 150mph 5 hours into a 7 hour endurance race, locked up the transmission and my rear wheel. Talk about a pucker moment.

HHHMMMMMM Are you 1-2-3 shifts normal? Can you shift without a clutch to 4-5? Does 3 pop out all the time, under acceleration, deleceration, or steady speed? Is there any grinding while shifting?

I would also drain your crank case/transmission oil through some cheese cloth or something like that and see if there are any metal bits. If there are, are they magnetic or not?

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    Well the victory trans is kinda like the HarDley ones. last week it would take take all the gears, but will pop out of third under med to heavy load and 4th was just fine... and now it seems like 3rd is working better and only pops out under just heavy load, but now 4th will engage but any load will make it shutter in and out (best way to describe) but 5th is just fine. I just started riding it again after sitting for 8 months (blew an oil line and laid it out in a 15 MPH turn) but it did go down on the left side and may have tweaked the shifter...

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    i will give it a ride tonight and really check it out... i did just change the oil about 15 days ago before i started riding it and there was just a bit of ferrous metal in it, asked Victory and they said a bit is normal. I was lucky that a friend lent me his jeep today to save me the 50 mile trip to work.

8. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    HHHMMMMMM It definatly sounds like the shift forks and/or dogs have been damaged.
    I know this sounds kind of wierd but what kind of shoes are you wearing? I find that if I wear tennis shoes I miss shift a lot. If you wear tennis shoes try wearing some shoes/boots with a hard toe/instep. Those types of shoes help a more positive shifter engagement.

9. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    I am wearing boots and have even made a point of really making sure it is fully engaged...

10. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    13,000 isnt a lot of miles for a car but bikes are a differant story and I dont know what kind of quality Victory had back in 2001. That was towards their start and I have never really followed victory so...

Pretty much all of the transmission gears slide with exception of the output shaft. This is why motorcycles are able to do clutchless upshifts & downshifts because all the gears are actually spinning at the same speed (constant mesh on the same shaft. Its just sliding those individual gears back and forth and engaging those
    What happens is that each gear have these blocks (known as dogs) on the side that are cut flat or slightly sloped. As you shift the next gear moves over and these blocks engage. When you grind gears in a motorcycle you are actually grinding these blocks.

11. Aug 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    ummm yea... update... was heading down the highway and all of a sudden it decided to destroy its self. Sounds like a bucket of rocks now...

12. Aug 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    DAMN, does it still run? Sounds like if it still runs that the 3rd-4th gear area came apart. I know we were hoping it would hold up until you get your truck back.

13. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    yea it runs just fine... but it is in a parking lot in tempe till i get my truck back so i can trailer it home.

14. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, your tranny came apart, I am willing to put money on it. Might want to scan e-bay for a replacement tranny.

15. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    were you able to look at the bike threw that link?

Products Discussed in

To Top