R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Phx emissions- what passes and what doesn't?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Phx emissions- what passes and what doesn't?

I'm weighing the benefits of headers (short vs long tube) and y pipes. Here in phx, how strict are emissions testing? Do both kinds of headers pass emissions here or do they have to be returned to stock? What about aftermarket y pipes?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
All I remember they are really strict on gas engines.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
As long as your not throwing any engine codes, you'll pass.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
As long as your not throwing any engine codes, you'll pass.
This.

They just plug into your OBDII port and scan for codes and readiness monitors. As long as those pass then it's good to go.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
But don't clear it with one of those
scanner tools, my friend did that before and they knew somehow,
said they couldn't read it correctly at the time and made him come back,
so he cleared his computer out by unplugging the battery to reset and that worked.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
But don't clear it with one of those
scanner tools, my friend did that before and they knew somehow,
said they couldn't read it correctly at the time and made him come back,
so he cleared his computer out by unplugging the battery to reset and that worked.
If you clear the code, then shut the truck off, and turn it on again, and no code shows, then you will pass. If you clear it while running, and go thru emissions, then it will fail.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you clear the code, then shut the truck off, and turn it on again, and no code shows, then you will pass. If you clear it while running, and go thru emissions, then it will fail.
Aha good to know lol I'm going to go laugh at him now!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I have long tube headers and the 02sim and am fully confident in passing emissions when the time comes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Great feedback. So if i understand correctly, lt headers will throw a code unless you have o2 sims. Short tubes and y pipes don't throw codes, correct?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the o2 sims make them pass. I had a diesel when I lived there really no probes there.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, they check odb2, and that you have a fitting gas cap for any odb2 vehicles, its great
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
if you have any problems after the install with poping codes, let me know. I can figure out what sensor is poping it and we can get a value of resistance that is with in proper range and solder that in place so that your ECM thinks it is good to go. Have done this many times up in IL for when people mod there cars. more over we could run the wire into the cab and hook up a potentiometer so that you can "tune" that sensor input on the fly incase you pop a code later, but that is a bit much...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
if you have any problems after the install with poping codes, let me know. I can figure out what sensor is poping it and we can get a value of resistance that is with in proper range and solder that in place so that your ECM thinks it is good to go. Have done this many times up in IL for when people mod there cars. more over we could run the wire into the cab and hook up a potentiometer so that you can "tune" that sensor input on the fly incase you pop a code later, but that is a bit much...
your like an electrical genius ive still not fixed that horn. considering air horns.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I am emissions certified in AZ (but only for fleet vehicles so I cant test you). The law says that you also still have to have all emmision related components as well. IE if your truck came with a CAT, EVAP, etc it must still have it. They are supposed to check but I did my truck last friday at a state inspection and they didnt pop the hood or look under the truck.

Also you cant just clear the code and start the truck and assume your ok. The MIL light only comes on after you have had the error for 3 consecutive drive cycles. To be a "drive cycle" your computer has to get a ready status from all inputs (coolant and o2 sensors up to temp, etc) and your truck would have to be in closed loop.

I actually have to go in for my yearly re-certification in about 2 weeks. I can ask the specific question if you want.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
your like an electrical genius ive still not fixed that horn. considering air horns.
Thank you... this- mod day coming up i will bring all my electrical tools, and we will get that done.

Also have you seen that "The best of train horn pranks" on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnRMW6P9nc