Full suspension or ARB locker

View Poll Results: What should I do???
ARB Air locker and onboard air! 36 44.44%
Full bad-ass suspension! 44 54.32%
Something else (state what you think)! 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Full suspension or ARB locker

So I am torn guys, I want everyone's opinions...

I have the money for either one of these, which do you think I should do and why. I will post up the pro's to each one.

Option 1
ARB Air locker and onboard air
Currently I am relying on open diffs with the yellow wire mod (trac in 4-lo). An ARB would allow me to get to the places I want a little more finess. Currently I have to either brute force my way past an obsticle to allow my tires to get traction again and/or rely on the trac to kick in and move me forward. Trac works good but sometimes I blow threw the brakes and go no where. I would have a shop do the install on the Locker.

Option 2
Full blown bad ass suspension
We are talking Fox 2.5" F/R shocks and coils, expedition rear leafs, UCAs, bushings, timbren bumpstops, ubolt flips, brake extensions, and drop diff.
This will get me the extra lift i need to not chew up my fenders (as much) as well as get me more clearance/articulation and set me up for my armored front/rear bumper later in the year. I would do most of the install myself (with some of your guys help)

I am leaning toward the suspension, I can get through 90% with the yellow wire trac mod. Plus I can get a little cash back from selling my current suspension

What do you guys think, give me your pro's and cons...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think the lockers... your truck sits up a bit now, plus with your armor it is not really your clearance that would be an issue if you could lock it up and take stuff at a slower speed... also you would not have to spin the F* out of your tires and destroy them with your open diff waiting for your truck to kick in the A-TRAC...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I chose suspension but i think you should get both.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
I chose suspension but i think you should get both.
Oh I will get both, but which shall I get NOW???

Again, I am leaning toward the suspension because I am chewing up my body (fender flares) when wheeling and I can then put on my bumpers at any time, same with the locker.
I am waiting on a few quotes on parts for each...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
I vote suspension there isent anywhere a good mid travel set up won't take you at high speeds lol
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Danget, who cares what we think just go with the suspension! Haha.

What kind of suspension you thinking about going with?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Right now the plan is to go with the following if I go this route:
FRONT
Fox 2.5" coil overs with remote reservoir
Allpro or Total Chaos UCA's
Timbren bump stops
extended front brake lines

REAR
Fox 2.5" shocks with remote reservoir
Deaver or Allpro expedition leaf packs w/poly bushings
Ubolt flip kits
timbren bumpstops
extended rear brake lines

Drop diff
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
tough one
voted locker just to even it out
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
tough one
voted locker just to even it out
LoL, you guys are seriously no help!!! I want them both and will have them both so that is not even a questions.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #11

^How much travel do you plan on running out back?

EDIT: Sounds like you have a plan. Get the suspension foo. lol
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I vote(would be my vote but on mobile) suspension.

I think that it's important to learn to wheel/drive without lockers as you learn what you can and cannot do without them, this way you use them properly, no over use of them (would be taking the easy way out)
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
I say locker, even 4x2 do well with a locker plus you can save and piece together a suspension as extra cash flows in
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
^How much travel do you plan on running out back?

EDIT: Sounds like you have a plan. Get the suspension foo. lol
I already have a bit of travel/flex out back. I am currently running 4 leaf pack TSB + Toytec AAL and 5100's but I think I am maxing out my 5100's. Talking with a couple shops this setup would give me even more articulation and another 1.5" of lift ontop of the 2.5" I have already. So by switching to the expedition leaf pack would be about 4" of total lift or about 3-3.5" with an armored rear bumper.
Here is my current flex:

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
lockers! many guys with stock suspension and lockers will easily out wheel a truck with open diffs and a lift (in most cases)
This ^

you won't need the flex with lockers
and you have plenty anyway
beside the fender issue.. that is a bummer
Have they come off yet?
I believe mike tore his off when he got 33's

do the lockers first
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryFades View Post
I say locker, even 4x2 do well with a locker plus you can save and piece together a suspension as extra cash flows in
Not really worried about the extra cash flow situation, LoL. Check out my signature and you will understand. Its more of setting the truck up right so I dont mind dropping the cash. I just dont want to drop it all at once. I want to get some, install it, wheel it, find the next weak link, fix it, wheel it, so on and so forth...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
This ^

you won't need the flex with lockers
and you have plenty anyway

do the lockers first
Yes but if I have the flex to keep both sets of wheels on the ground I dont need the locker (as much)...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
This ^

beside the fender issue.. that is a bummer
Have they come off yet?
I believe mike tore his off when he got 33's
They are starting to come off. Both of my rear fender flares have worn through the plastic around the bolts and have started popping off around the front arch and my front passenger flare has popped off the first two forward tabs.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
lock it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! air lockers are the sh!t
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Yes but if I have the flex to keep both sets of wheels on the ground I dont need the locker (as much)...
Yeah... Idk

this should convince you
start watching at 1min 45 sec.the first guy to go up, grey vehicle has lockers, the blue vehicle
has a shitload of flex and cant make it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNPZFNOK-4