R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Dealing with Arizona Pinstriping

Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Dealing with Arizona Pinstriping

It seems branches and sticks love to carve their names into the side of a black truck more than anything. Two questions:

1) Are there trails within 45-60 mins of Tempe where I can offroad without having to worry about getting pinstripes from desert bushes/trees? I don't need any trails too crazy, just some hills to try out my locking differential and scare my wife.

2) what is the best way to get rid of Arizona pinstriping?

thx guys.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
well its called az pintstriping because its EVERYWHERE.

but sycamore you wont get any if you stay on the main road and go in the wash, and there are hills where you will need to be locked if you want to try them
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
I hate Commie Libs!
GearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gear
GearBox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurboCycles View Post
It seems branches and sticks love to carve their names into the side of a black truck more than anything. Two questions:

1) Are there trails within 45-60 mins of Tempe where I can offroad without having to worry about getting pinstripes from desert bushes/trees? I don't need any trails too crazy, just some hills to try out my locking differential and scare my wife.

2) what is the best way to get rid of Arizona pinstriping?

thx guys.
The best way to deal with pinstriping to is wear it with pride baby! I am sure just a normal wash and wax with get out the small scratches... If you get a deep one you might have to ask in the detailing sections. Those guys know their shit!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBox View Post
The best way to deal with pinstriping to is wear it with pride baby! I am sure just a normal wash and wax with get out the small scratches... If you get a deep one you might have to ask in the detailing sections. Those guys know their shit!
Yeah thats a good idea, i got good advice on how to remove crap like that outta paint, almost un noticeable on my other car
Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
I wear mine with pride, its part of going off road.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
well its called az pintstriping because its EVERYWHERE.

but sycamore you wont get any if you stay on the main road and go in the wash, and there are hills where you will need to be locked if you want to try them
Yeah I've ridden through sycamore a lot as a teenager on a dirtbike. Haven't tried it recently or in a truck. I'll try that out. thx.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My trucks riddled with pin striping...IMO, it shows my truck isnt a mall crawler

Wear em with pride lol
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
But I guess I didnt answer your question. Wax and buff should get the majority out...and some elbow grease.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
My trucks riddled with pin striping...IMO, it shows my truck isnt a mall crawler

Wear em with pride lol
I'd rather show im not a mall crawler through chunks missing on my tire treads than a scratched up truck. Scratches never look good!!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd rather show im not a mall crawler through chunks missing on my tire treads than a scratched up truck. Scratches never look good!!
Au contraire... I get more compliments WITH pinstriping than I did before when it was all shiny. It shows ACTION!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Buff/wax is about all you can do. The clear coat sucks balls on these trucks... so depending on how deep the scratch is, it's probably for life. My truck is riddled with them, but still looks great about 6' away

Also, +1 from Adam, I get more compliments for using my truck than having it all waxed up, shiney, and scratch free lol. Besides, it's a truck
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #12

Any of you guys ever been to the "Pitts" off I-10 and Queen Creek Rd? Its the group of hills east of the freeway on the Indian Rez. Had a good time there tonight. I grew up in the area and know that place like the back of my hand.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have to say, thats one of the hazards of getting a dark truck. I love my white truck because it does not show the trail pinstripes.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
TacomaHarry is on a distinguished road
TacomaHarry's Tacoma Gallery
just moved from florida 5 months ago, looks right at home now.
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with Arizona Pinstriping-027.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is black.

I've had good luck buffing out the deeper scratches with a compound like Meguiars ScratchX on a small cotton wheel on a dremel. Obviously with any compound and electric tool you can glaze or rub through the paint - so use a light touch!

The advantage is I can deep-buff an area only about half an inch wide to take out the "deep" scratch without removing huge amounts of paint over a large area.

Then use a "glaze" polish (Like Meguiars Ultimate Polish) with an orbital buffer to camoflauge the minor scratches, then wax and electric buff, then a final rub out of the wax by hand.

This is too much work if you're wheeling every weekend. But if you're going a few times a year or every couple months, you can clean it up this way.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
white truck ftw!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Any of you guys ever been to the "Pitts" off I-10 and Queen Creek Rd? Its the group of hills east of the freeway on the Indian Rez. Had a good time there tonight. I grew up in the area and know that place like the back of my hand.
Where exactly is this? I drive by there all the time and.... I've never seen any hills. Plus you have to be careful on the res man, you need permission otherwise the can, and probably will impound your vehicle. They did it to one of my co-workers friends out by that little mountain on I-10 and the Gila River.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #18
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
white truck ftw!!!
Says the guy that was envious of the two black beast trucks roll'n up a while ago at Alex's house
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
that was bad ass, it was night and 2 completely black trucks just beast into the drive like BAM you know this is bad ass shiz!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Where exactly is this? I drive by there all the time and.... I've never seen any hills. Plus you have to be careful on the res man, you need permission otherwise the can, and probably will impound your vehicle. They did it to one of my co-workers friends out by that little mountain on I-10 and the Gila River.
It's 1 mile east of the 10 and a quarter mile north of queen creek rd. It looks like there isn't much there and then you see it is a pit 40 ft deep and half a mile long.

Yes, people need to be aware that it is Indian res and the general public is not allowed there. I've got some good stories for another time.