R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

My next round of mods...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #61
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
You really shouldn't be needing pusher fans at all man. The highest I've ever seen my truck get to is 201F (still well within op temps, about 115F while towing vehicles around up steep ass hills... off road with the locker/ATRAC on lol). Unless that blower's seriously bringing the temps up I don't see why it'd be necessary. Cool factor sure... but ya.

Also, as for off-roading/expo rig... You're better off replacing the clutched fan with electric as clutch fans can/will fail... and when it does it will be enough to not allow the motor to idle anything less than probably 3k RPM. That happened to my buddies Tundra and I had to tow it with my new 2008 PreRunner at the time... lulz. Plus when you blast through water and such or caking it in mud you'll risk seizing it more. Just something to contemplate.

As for the rubbing bit... I'm seriously rubbing pretty bad with my 285/75/R16's. I'm hitting the pinch weld for sure... and even if that's beat back I'm not sure I'll be clearing it... with 35's and our mid travel I'd place some cash you will still hit on full compression and wheels turned, especially if you decide to move away from the Timbren's at some point for superbumps or something else that will allow more travel distance. Again, just something to contemplate and be preped for. There's a shit ton of clearance toward the front, it's just that damn abrupt down angle on the back of the wheel wells that get in the way lol.

No matter how you do it though I can't wait to see it... who knows I might end up copying what you do haha...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #62
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i cut my firewalls

jake do you have a sway bar on?

i only started rubbing with my sway bar off
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #63
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nope, haven't had my sway bar on with the Fox's ever
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #64
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
oh okay.

hmm either way i want 35s lol. but i didnt want the tire cost, 4cylinder... with gnar gears(lol) and cut a stupid amount, but second gens can fit bigger tires without rubbing than the 1st gens right?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #65
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
hmm either way i want 35s lol. but i didnt want the tire cost, 4cylinder... with gnar gears(lol) and cut a stupid amount, but second gens can fit bigger tires without rubbing than the 1st gens right?
Yea, 2nd gens can usually run 1 size larger without rubbing than 1st gens can. The 35" conversion will not happen until at earliest this time next year so I have plenty of time to research and get the parts I need so I am not really worried about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
You really shouldn't be needing pusher fans at all man. The highest I've ever seen my truck get to is 201F (still well within op temps, about 115F while towing vehicles around up steep ass hills... off road with the locker/ATRAC on lol). Unless that blower's seriously bringing the temps up I don't see why it'd be necessary. Cool factor sure... but ya.

Also, as for off-roading/expo rig... You're better off replacing the clutched fan with electric as clutch fans can/will fail... and when it does it will be enough to not allow the motor to idle anything less than probably 3k RPM. That happened to my buddies Tundra and I had to tow it with my new 2008 PreRunner at the time... lulz. Plus when you blast through water and such or caking it in mud you'll risk seizing it more. Just something to contemplate.
I think I am approaching the usable limit of my stock engine cooling. I have seen it get pretty damn hot while offroading 220+ due to the low speeds and boost. Now that I am running a couple extra pounds of boost with the under drive pulley I have seen the temps climb in normal driving situations. It might have to do with the busted fan shroud which I will be replacing on saturday so we will see how that remidies the situation. I like the idea of the dual cooling fan set up (stock clutch fan and dual pusher fans), that offers extra cooling when needed and redundencies in case on of them fails.

Most of the people who have done the straight electric fan dont push thier trucks as hard as I do offroad and are not boosted. Plus a majority of them are x-runner types so they are not doing the low speed high RPM's that we do rock crawling.

We will see what happens with my new fan shroud but I should be able to make a setup for around $100 initially and we can see how that goes.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #66
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
I also want to start playing with ideas on how to modify the air intake to prevent water intrusion into the air box. Possibly re-route to another location or adding some sort of water bypass system. I have some ideas, I just need to sit down, draw them out, and come up with a way to do it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #67
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
If you wanted to do a test it feel free to try out my 35's
Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #68
Banned
i would take him up on that offer!!

and get a snorkel chas?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #69
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
That would just look weird on glass
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #70
Banned
yeah forgot about that
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #71
Quote:
i would take him up on that offer!!

and get a snorkel chas?
Yea, a snorkle is an option if I stick with the stock fenders but I have seen some of the "home made" alterations for a snorkle and glass fenders and it looks like a bag of shit to say the least.

I have some ideas on where to pull air from that might work quite well, just a matter of mocking up some stuff.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #72
Banned
take pat up on that offer man
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #73
Quote:
take pat up on that offer man
It does me no good right now. I might bolt them on just to test fit and take pictures but thats about it. I have more pressing repairs/mods to worry about at the moment.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #74
Banned
I would still do it before you purchase them so you can see how much your going to need to trim
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #75
Quote:
I would still do it before you purchase them so you can see how much your going to need to trim
Most definatly I will.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #76
Besides I wanna go back to 33's
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #77
Banned
do i see a swap happening.....

nvm he has 16s u have 17s
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #78
Na I wouldn't swap. Mine are pretty chewed up and I want Mickey Thompson mtz's next
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #79
OK, so today I finally had my coilovers cranked up and an alingment done. I had them set it a bit high so when I put my skids back on it will come down a bit and even more when I get my bumper and winch up front. Also there is a picture of my sliders from Avid Offroad, I never really posted pics of them.

The truck definatly rides a bit rougher now that they are cranked up but its not any rougher than you would expect a normal truck to ride and it is still better than most trucks straight off the line.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #80
Iron Beard

Very nice man... I need to get off my ass and get mine done