1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any camping spots w/ 2wd can get to? Warning long backstory.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by doodooboi, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    doodooboi

doodooboi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD DCSB Sport/Prerunner
    Backstory,
    I usually do alot of backpack camping at least 2/3 times a year cause I know majority of society really dis-like to work to have fun.
    So I did my third ever (car)camping at a state park. All three times I was next to some loud, annoying, inconsiderate fat-tard.
    When I think of camping and the reason for me to go camping is to get away from that kind of thing. I'm from Hawaii and when you go camping there usually not a soul around and all you can hear is the critters and or the ocean!
    I understand it's a state park and all is welcome but you would think that since you are not in a house with walls you'd be a bit more considerate to the people camping next to you.
    My next door campers, when they first pulled up, it was around dinner time and my wife and I were sitting down having dinner. They open their truck and let their dog out. Watched them goof around and suddenly their dog who was not on a leash ran towards my dog and knocked his food down and almost our table. My dog was on a very long leash attached to a tree and their dog started to run around which caused my dog to get yanked by the leash at full speed. Not one Apology as they got their dog, as my wife was informing them that they should be keeping their dog on a leash like how our dog is on one. Their dog did nothing but bark and whine all day and night.
    The lady was a nasty smoking fat-tard that didn't have a volume setting for her mouth. The guy wasn't too bad but he just wanted to have music so bad he unfortuantley used his FJ as a boom box. Now the people next to them was also with them and were 5 times worst. Pure texan redneck attitude, which they loudly expressed them selves in those exact words and were intentionally making it known.
    Once I got fed up (which I have a high tolerance for this kind of things) I finally told the camp host. After the camp host told to them to simmer down and left. They had nothing but rude comments to say loud enough for me to hear. They did stop that pretty quickly when I looked over their way and asked if they had anything to say to me! The texan redneck who made the most comments even walked past me near the restroom shortly after and didn't even have the balls to look at me in the eye and back up what he was saying earlier. But I did greet him nicely hoping he would say something but he just kept looking at the ground with out a word.
    Again sorry for the long story.

Anyways I am looking to find some good camping spots perferablly near water here in AZ that is not more than a 2 hr drive from Phoenix. The trick is I only have a 2wd with ALSD. I am pretty good at picking lines and driving off road. Been doing it alot back home. I'm getting new meatier rubber soon and wanting to redeem this camping trip.
    Right now the wifey is in no condition to do a backpack camping which she perfers to do too.
    I've been to some secluded spots that was around the roosevelt lake but my buddy that took me there by 4x4 moved and not really in touch with him anymore. Other than that I really don't know any good places to go. I've only been here for 5 years but like I mentioned I usually do my camping backpacking style.

Thanks in advance!

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    subbed

The only place I've gotten through with my open diff is out at reddington, but that's desert scrub (not to mention a s*** hole) and not very interesting.

I would suggest looking at areas near payson or strawberry and calling ranger stations near there. They usually know what the ebb and flow of people are like in the area. Other than that, I'd say walk into REI and have a chat with someone in there. The staff are pretty knowledgeable about places in the state, not to mention you could probably pick up a good book with places to go in AZ.

Good luck!

doodooboi[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
  4. Oct 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
  5. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    Speederaser

Speederaser Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Long Bed TRD Sport
    Ive also been wondering where I might be able to get off a paved road and have a little fun, and also maybe some camping spots in my 2wd open diff. Even if its just for some good scenery on some fire roads or something.

6. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
  7. Oct 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    hey bro, sorry for the late response, check out my sig for the points of itnerest thread. woods canyon lake has alot of back trails. probably pretty cold right now though.

I HATE camping next to other people. i want to be be able to have however big of a fire as i want, stand in camp naked, while shooting a gun repeatably. I do also backpack but thats easier to get away from people.

8. Oct 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Yeah camping grounds with lots of people really suck, like said above, just get a map of tonto and go! Its got tons of cool places and fire roads you can all make in 2wd, and if you keep going you'll end up in payson (going up the beeline) and you can check it out cool town, then either head east on the 260 up to the rim where there are tons of great camping and lakes to fish and whatnot, or you can go straight through payson and go up to and through strawberry, or go to sedona, prettiest place in Az, then head up shnelby hill, one of the most scenic trails in az and its 2wd friendly all the way to the top, then head up to flagstaff!! Basicall just explore anywhere north.

9. Oct 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Oh and if you like backpacking and a challenging hike, check out west clear creek!

10. Oct 31, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    doodooboi

doodooboi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD DCSB Sport/Prerunner
    Wow thanks for all the great pointers and places to take a look at. I will definitly be doing another camping trip here in about a week or two with all this great info. Again thanks All!

11. Oct 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    We've gone here a couple times. Usually not alot of people here. It doesn't have water available (you have to bring your own).

Very easily accessable by 2wd, even cars as it's right off the rim road. Lots of fire roads and trails up there to go exploring. It might be a lil cold up there this time of the year but it's perfect to get out of the phoenix heat and cool off up there during the summer.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/mog_rim/kehlsprings_camp.shtml

Products Discussed in

To Top