R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

About to order OME's, wonder if anyone can recommend a good shop to install.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
3TacosDeep is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
3TacosDeep's Tacoma Gallery
About to order OME's, wonder if anyone can recommend a good shop to install.

Hello gang, I'm new to the forum, but on my 3rd Tacoma. Been lurking for a while just trying to find as much info as possible, but it looks like I need to get involved now.

Current truck is a 2006 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport with an ARE shell full of about 250lbs of gear, full time. Just broke 100,000 miles this afternoon, and the truck's running a bit loose and spongy. Looking to improve the ride and get a bit of lift, I'm ready to pull the trigger on full OME kit from Wheelers (885's and Dakars), just need to figure out where to get it all installed. I've called around and driven around, and haven't really gotten a strong, confident feeling from any of the shops I've talked to. Probably worth noting, I didn't just walk in asking about installing gear bought somewhere else, I've walked in looking to see who would like to sell me what they recommend, and for the most part, was met with little interest in getting my business.

Who's got a good experience with a Taco friendly / Taco knowledgeable shop? I'm up in Glendale, but I'm more than willing to drive as far across town as needed to get the work done by guys that will do it right the first time.

Also, since I'm here, and you've all got much more up to date knowledge than I do, am I heading the right direction with an OME kit? Is there something else in the smaller lift, middle price zone that's got a better reputation?

Anyways, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
1995.5 Tacoma ExtraCab 4x4 (Exported to Nigeria in 2003)
2003 Tacoma DoubleCab PreRunner TRD (sold it after I got stuck in 3" of mud)
2006 Tacoma DoubleCab Longbed 4x4 TRD Sport (Paid off and keeping it for life)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
EndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really nice

Name: Jason
EndlessSummer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not really sure but maybe Desert Rat?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
install is easy. should be a number of people willing to help you out if you supply drinks and food.

you getting new UCAs?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Desert Rat or Sierra Expeditions
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessSummer View Post
I'm not really sure but maybe Desert Rat?
As I worked for Desert Rat about 15 years ago, unless the company has been sold to new ownership, they don't get my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
install is easy. should be a number of people willing to help you out if you supply drinks and food.

you getting new UCAs?
I wish I had the tools to pull it off. As the INSTANTLY new guy around here, I didn't expect that I'd be able to pull in a crowd willing to work on my truck for pizza and beer. And adding strippers almost guarantees that the concentration isn't going to be strong. Don't buy products built on Wednesday, or built by guys that are watching strippers.

edit: Forgot to answer the other question. Wasn't planning on UCA's since I was only going 1.75" up. Are they recomennded/needed? If it's worth it, even at this height, I'm willing to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
Yea, LOL is right. They seemed to want to order me the wrong stuff, charge me quite a bit for it, then charge me almost as much again for the labor. I'm Fine with spending money where it needs to be spent, but I'm not taking component advice from a guy who isn't familiar with the product line. No confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
Desert Rat or Sierra Expeditions
And circle gets a square. Had heard of Sierra Expeditions a while ago, but they slipped my mind, I'll probably be heading that direction soon. Looks like a company that knows the OME product line, and the reviews on Google Places are refreshing.

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Greg
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
885s are going to give you just under 3" of lift. 2wd guys get just over 3".

You'll need new UCAs to correct the alignment. I have light racing and they work just fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
885s are going to give you just under 3" of lift. 2wd guys get just over 3".

You'll need new UCAs to correct the alignment. I have light racing and they work just fine.
Well alright then. Sounds like I need to adjust my height expectations on those springs, and get a set of UCAs. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
AZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZHornet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
AZHornet's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to you on your install

Curious to see what your experience is with whomever have install it. I may be picking up an OME kit by years end as well and want to find a good place to get it installed.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
I had a nice long phonecall with Will, the owner of Sierra Expeditions in Tempe. He does several OME installs per week and appears to know the kit better than anyone I've come across yet. He's currently out of stock on the additional addaleafs he's recommending for my application, once those are back in stock, I'm scheduling my build. Really good guy to discuss Tacoma suspension options, looking forward to it.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
tnttse is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
I had desert rat install mine. I did ome med springs and shocks in the front and aal and ome shocks in the rear. If i had to do it again i would try to install mine myself.

I told Desert rat to install the packing spacer to correct for taco lean, they didn't.
I told them i want my old shocks and springs, i had to go into the garage and get them.
And to top it off one of the techs came out and offered my $300 for my new stock tires and wheels. pissed me off.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
anasseef is on a distinguished road
anasseef's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TacosDeep View Post
Hello gang, I'm new to the forum, but on my 3rd Tacoma. Been lurking for a while just trying to find as much info as possible, but it looks like I need to get involved now.

Current truck is a 2006 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport with an ARE shell full of about 250lbs of gear, full time. Just broke 100,000 miles this afternoon, and the truck's running a bit loose and spongy. Looking to improve the ride and get a bit of lift, I'm ready to pull the trigger on full OME kit from Wheelers (885's and Dakars), just need to figure out where to get it all installed. I've called around and driven around, and haven't really gotten a strong, confident feeling from any of the shops I've talked to. Probably worth noting, I didn't just walk in asking about installing gear bought somewhere else, I've walked in looking to see who would like to sell me what they recommend, and for the most part, was met with little interest in getting my business.

Who's got a good experience with a Taco friendly / Taco knowledgeable shop? I'm up in Glendale, but I'm more than willing to drive as far across town as needed to get the work done by guys that will do it right the first time.

Also, since I'm here, and you've all got much more up to date knowledge than I do, am I heading the right direction with an OME kit? Is there something else in the smaller lift, middle price zone that's got a better reputation?

Anyways, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
1995.5 Tacoma ExtraCab 4x4 (Exported to Nigeria in 2003)
2003 Tacoma DoubleCab PreRunner TRD (sold it after I got stuck in 3" of mud)
2006 Tacoma DoubleCab Longbed 4x4 TRD Sport (Paid off and keeping it for life)
I went to Total Auto Pros on 16th and Bethany. They do a ton of work on trucks and Jeeps. Great guys
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
CQB 1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
CQB 1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasseef View Post
I went to Total Auto Pros on 16th and Bethany. They do a ton of work on trucks and Jeeps. Great guys
The dealership sales manager I bought my truck from recommended Total Auto Pros. He said I should go to them to because that's who they use to do there lifts and "I don't want you to void your warranty." He's probably full of shit and there getting kick backs for referrals. I haven't done enough research yet to know if Toyota has authorized shops for aftermarket installs but I seriously doubt it. I'm not trying to bad mouth this shop but it does sound kinda fishy.

Has anyone else had experience with this shop?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
dira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David
dira1987's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of private shops selling lift components to dealers (since I'm pretty sure they only do spacers and charge 1000+ for it) but not really sourcing the actual work to another shop. But who knows we live in crazy times. I am another big fan of sierra expeditions though those guys seriously kick lots of ass. And they are honest. Which really sold me on their work. Ok I'm done haha
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
hey dude ill help you install it! always good to get some more wrench time.

im sure a few others here will help also.

oh, i like pepperoni, my beer cold, and my strippers blonde and hot

jk
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
I've had work done a couple of times at Sierra and they definitely know what they're doing. Rates are fair, and Kyle works quick. He can bust out suspension work on our tacos with his eyes closed. I'm pulling the trigger on the full OME kit as well, and that's probabaly where I'll have it done so it's all warrantied.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Either sierra or just ask we are all willin to help if we are free and there is pizza And it isn't tough to install but I definitely recommend Paying the fee to have wheelers assemble the 885's on to the nitrochargers.

And you made a great choice with OME!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
Thanks for all of the input, and the offers top help. Nice to see a crowd of folks willing to help the new guy. I had my OME kit installed at Sierra Expeditions this morning. Kyle got it all slapped together in about 2.5 hours. At their recommendation, headed over to Firestone for alignment, lifetime alignment at any store they have is pretty tough to beat. Truck feels great, after 100,000 miles, my old springs and shocks really were a bit squished. Couldn't be happier, couldn't recommend these guys enough.

-Greg
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
tnttse is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
What did the total come to? if you dont mind me asking