R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

2wd Tacoma in Dune Sand?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
2wd Tacoma in Dune Sand?

Im headed to the dunes this weekend with my wife and 2 yr old son. I'm bringing a quad, but I'm curious how well my truck will do in the sand since I'll want to take my family on some rides. I have a lifted 2wd double cab with locking diff. and some grippy 285 Terra Grapplers.

I'm not looking to climb any hills or catch air, just ride the sand highway and tour the area. If I stay on the main sand trails, do I need to be worried about getting stuck? Should I keep the locking differential on?

Thx!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
davidk in 3.......2........1........
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. That's prolly cause I have 4x4.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
air down your tires, you'll be fine
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is bring a shovel. Easy on the gas and air down... But seriously, bring a shovel. In fact bring 3, one for you, one for the wife, and a small one for Junior. Its about time he puts those hours of sand box play to good use.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
bring a buddy wif a 4x4 n a tow strap
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
just got back from glamis, in 2wd you will be fine aired down to 10-15 psi with the locker on, getting back from the hill you will need skinny pedal to get up one hill. you will see it, its where everyone gets stuck. im always uin 2wd unless i get stuck. make sure you dont stop on even the slightest incline.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
and again, just in case you missed it the first time...

BRING A SHOVEL!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
mmmmmmmmhmmmmmm 2wd sucks in sand
Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bring some carpet too, no better traction than carpet.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
air down your tires, you'll be fine
^ This.

I've been going to Dumont Dunes for the last 5 years and i've never had a problem, but if you do get stuck, i'm sure there will be plenty of people out there to help you out. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
I did duning just fine in my stock street tires in 2WD (LSD). Got stuck only when I slowed down going up hills either cuz I was unsure of whats on the other side or cuz someone in front of me slowed down. I'm sure 15 PSI will do you just fine. Like Tacomanator said, there should be people around to give you a hand. I hope you have fun. Be safe.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
and again, just in case you missed it the first time...

BRING A SHOVEL!!!
x2
Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

ok, so my notes are:

Bring a shovel, don't stop on inclines, let out air in my rear tires, and bring a shovel. And last but not least, bring a shovel. Thx guys!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Banned
carpet really helps too.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Banned
get 2 2ftx10ft pieces of carpet and keep them in your truck, if you get stuck, roll them out by the back tires. all the traction you could ask for.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
get 2 2ftx10ft pieces of carpet and keep them in your truck, if you get stuck, roll them out by the back tires. all the traction you could ask for.
Dont listen to this guy. He couldnt drive a fucking tri-cycle down a paved drive way if his life depended on it...

Eric, isnt it time to get your diapers changed??? LoL
Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Dont listen to this guy. He couldnt drive a fucking dirtbike down a paved drive way if his life depended on it...

Eric, isnt it time to get your alternator changed??? LoL

Fixed.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #20

Despite the rain on Friday and cold weather, I had a great time at the dunes. The only time I got stuck in my Tacoma was when I stopped. I'd hit the gas to go and my rear tires (locked diff) would spin and sink me. The shovel came in handy but the biggest help was a tow strap. One time, after 25 minutes of shoveling, I finally had to flag down someone to pull me out. Crappy, but fun nonetheless.

The carpet idea is great but I didn't have any to bring. I also could've carried my quad ramp with me in the back and stuck that under a wheel. Bottom line, MOMENTUM is everything for a 2wd in sand!