Notices

Mapping Software????

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Arizona Joe is on a distinguished road
Army: Sig
Name: Joe
Arizona Joe's Tacoma Gallery
Mapping Software????

Me and my friend are looking to mount a laptop in my 08 FJC. I live in AZ and wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any good GPS software for our area. I am looking for real world mapping style stuff that can be displayed on a laptop and have the ability to be interacted with from pc to gps or vs versa. I have read and seen a lot of stuff about Shonkey maps but it seems as though they are only for Australia.

Any help or direction would be great, as always thanks TW i look forward to your feedback.

AZ Joe
Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have some Garmin map DVD's. Never got a chance to use them. Are you looking to buy some, or just general info on some?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Arizona Joe is on a distinguished road
Army: Sig
Name: Joe
Arizona Joe's Tacoma Gallery
Mapping software

im looking to install a laptop in my fjc and then run some sort of gps style software with off road maps, local areas so on and so fourth. i have seen them in some high end 4x4 vids but dont even know where to start looking for one for my own truck. any help or thoughts on where to pick one up at.

az j
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Joe View Post
Me and my friend are looking to mount a laptop in my 08 FJC. I live in AZ and wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any good GPS software for our area. I am looking for real world mapping style stuff that can be displayed on a laptop and have the ability to be interacted with from pc to gps or vs versa. I have read and seen a lot of stuff about Shonkey maps but it seems as though they are only for Australia.

Any help or direction would be great, as always thanks TW i look forward to your feedback.

AZ Joe
A friend of mine is into geocaching and uses Delorme products. I think he uses Delorme hardware as well.
I attached a PDF from their site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TopoNA_WebContent.pdf (511.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
i use google earth and can see my real-time location in 3D... Brianr tested this with me about 2 years ago. we drove to the top of south mountain at night and it was awesome to see what turns were coming up... i actually video taped it and was going to make a tutorial video but i've been lazy and never got around to it

here's a link that i found that explains the process that i used, and i used the Earth Bridge software that the article mentions- works the same way

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001623.php

I ran it off an older laptop, and all of the software that i used was FREE... except windows