Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Upper Ball Joints

Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Upper Ball Joints

Went to change my pass side one out today and got it out of the UCA and then the spindles said and no go. SO, monday I'm going to probably just remove the spindle and the UCA and see if I can find a shop with a press that can press the old one out of the spindle and the new on into the UCA and the spindle. I tried a BFH and the 3 arm clamps from HF. That worked for the UCA...

Anyone know of such a shop that can do this? Located in N. Phoenix, bordering N. Scottsdale. Or does anyone here have a press we could use for it? I know it's holiday time, but I need to get this shit done by early next week.

It's rigged up like this and sitting until I can get it sorted out.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
dam that sucks soak it down with pb blaster . or try a little heat on the spindle not smoking hot just get it warm
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
there's a desert rat on cave creek and bell road.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Brian (BFA) and I spoke on the phone and he's going to help me tomorrow night or Sunday night. He's done a few sets and has a couple tricks. I'm going to remove the UCA and spindle and we're going to press the old out of the spindle and the new in the spindle and UCA at his place and then I'll just bolt up and be good to go.

Sometimes having the taco out of commission isn't so bad. Gives me a chance to appreciate the other rigs....

Old 12-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty he's got a press or is renting one for it. Will be easier not doing in the wheel well I guess
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
warning. brian is a noob at this.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
warning. brian is a noob at this.
He said on the phone he did yours and his. This is the first time I personally have done the upper ball joints before.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
He said on the phone he did yours and his. This is the first time I personally have done the upper ball joints before.

hey connor if the UCA's are still on the truck take a 10-15 pound sledge & give the UCA's a couple good whacks right in the area where the ball joint comes thru. the UCA (DO NOT HIT THE BALL JOINT ) just the UCA.

After you do that find a hardened impact socket that will fit over the stud & is equivlent to slightly smaller than the ball joint. Now take the sledge @ hit the socket hard & squarely 4 or 5 times & it should just about fall out on its own....
Old 12-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
hey connor if the UCA's are still on the truck take a 10-15 pound sledge & give the UCA's a couple good whacks right in the area where the ball joint comes thru. the UCA (DO NOT HIT THE BALL JOINT ) just the UCA.

After you do that find a hardened impact socket that will fit over the stud & is equivlent to slightly smaller than the ball joint. Now take the sledge @ hit the socket hard & squarely 4 or 5 times & it should just about fall out on its own....
The ball joint is still on the spindle, but not the UCA. I managed to get it out of the UCA, just the spindle said

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the spindle and UCA from the truck and go to Brians (BFA) hopefully and we can get it out and the new one in. My 35mm or 36mm deep socket seemed to fit it well. Might take some swings at it before I go to Brians and get some anger out
Old 12-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

did you happen to remove the retaining clip from the top of the balljoint ?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
The snap ring? Is it sitting between the ball joint and the spindle? Cause like I said the UCA and the ball joint are disconnected. I know the new one came with one but I was searching for the old one and didn't have much luck....
Old 12-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
OH SHIT CONNOR, before you beat on anything check for big C-clips !!!
hmmm them fuckers got me before
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I just PM'd him about that too
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
The snap ring? Is it sitting between the ball joint and the spindle? Cause like I said the UCA and the ball joint are disconnected. I know the new one came with one but I was searching for the old one and didn't have much luck....
it doesnt stick out much . run a flat head screw driver around the top of the balljoint
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it doesnt stick out much . run a flat head screw driver around the top of the balljoint
Mine was on there good if it's what I'm thinking of..............I have a grinded down flathead screwdriver as a chisel. So BFH and hit it around to try and get it off? That small lip between the spindle and the ball joint?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Mine was on there good if it's what I'm thinking of..............I have a grinded down flathead screwdriver as a chisel. So BFH and hit it around to try and get it off? That small lip between the spindle and the ball joint?
yup should be a groove with the clip in it . get 2 flatheads and pry it up and work it around and it should pop off
Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Will tackle it tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Finished. I hate c clips. Gave me the most trouble. Oh well it's done and over with.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Finished. I hate c clips. Gave me the most trouble. Oh well it's done and over with.
Right on. Glad it was just that and nothing worse