R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

in a dilemma need help from fellow Arizonians!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
chris yours is a prerunner or 4x4?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
hes a prerunner such a cute little truck
im always down to give out rides too, just dont be a pansy! haha
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
lol you guys are great.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Stock for stock... the FJ is way smoother off-road. Having driven both off road (including camber situations)... the FJ stock is a lot nicer off the lot lol.

However...

All three will be vastly improved with proper suspension upgrades. You could just modify your Tundra (but if you really hate it then why I guess). Personally I love the way my truck rides (back is stiff, but I intentionally have it setup that way). If I'm down toward Tucson again soon you're more than welcome to ride along in my truck with fox/allpro expo pack setup.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Stock for stock... the FJ is way smoother off-road. Having driven both off road (including camber situations)... the FJ stock is a lot nicer off the lot lol.

However...

All three will be vastly improved with proper suspension upgrades. You could just modify your Tundra (but if you really hate it then why I guess). Personally I love the way my truck rides (back is stiff, but I intentionally have it setup that way). If I'm down toward Tucson again soon you're more than welcome to ride along in my truck with fox/allpro expo pack setup.
nice. i appreciate it. is your truck as jittery and harsh in the rear offroad?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mine is pretty harsh, but again, by design. I use my truck as an actual truck too, so I want it to be able to tow/haul as well as it can when I need it.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
i hear ya.. the tundra i have on washboard dirt rds is teath chattering.. i think im leaning to a new taco 4x4 dbl cab short bed trd so i can have the locker. i do like to hit the occasional trail and the tundra is just to big. even if i did fix the suspension
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Like Jake said.. they will be more "harsh" In the rear.. stock or by design unless you go LT or a nice set of extended travel. Regardless tho, its a truck. It's gonna be rougher than most. I'm sure my friends think mine rides like a brick, but i can tell or notice... nor do i care that much. Airing down helps, weight in the bed helps, etc.. but overall the fj will be smoother out of the box.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Either one is nice. I personally don't care for the FJ after both driving and riding in. I would recommend a TRD Off-Road Tacoma. 4x4 is hard to come by in Arizona in general. I was lucky to find mine. Northern AZ will have more. In Wisconsin, it would be hard to find a Pre runner.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
if i was to get a 2wd prerunner trd package with locker, how offroad capable is it?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #31
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Imo... not very. Depends on what your using it for. There are tons of places around here that you'll need or want 4wd. Locked pre runner Is just one step up from normal two wheel drive. You wont have anything pulling you up, and out of things (4wd). You will have more traction yes, but in the sand you'll bury yourself, snow.. locker is not safe, crawling.. probably wont happen. We have had sone trips where we have had to pull around locked pre runners. They do fine in two track trails, moderate washes, etc. Again, all depends on what you will use it for.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
yea i hear ya.. i really want a 4x4 anyway but just thought i ask..lol
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #33

Better to have and not need it, then to need it and not have It. I'd hold out man, get what you want. It will be worth it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #34
Iron Beard

I've had both. My 2008 was a TRD Off-Road pre-runner, this 2010 is a 4x4. Before someone ran a red light and destroyed my 08... I literally had an appointment the following day to trade it in for a 2010 4x4 lol...

You can have more fun than you might think with a pre-runner... but honestly the couple of grand extra... it's well worth it. Plus if you get the further itch (you will, trust me) you can built it into a beast!

You like Reddington already... well there's some amazing trails back there to explore that are pure 4x4 only. Chiva Falls, Three Feathers... for example.

Then there's places like Sedona...

Then there is Box Canyon...

Just a few examples... but there is a TON of AZ to explore that only a 4x4 (or assistance from a tow strap/winch and a 4x4) will get you there. And this is just a small fraction of AZ. Let alone our neighboring states (Colorado, Cali, Utah (cough MOAB anyone?), even if you ever go to the pacific northwest.... Ultimately.... long term it's worth the 4x4. Plus, resale value will stay higher (even if the prerunners do great here on that well, just not as well as a 4x4).

Either way, they're great trucks though

I still loved my PreRunner though
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
JGUT will become famous soon enough
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be up in Tempe this weekend from the Yuma area. Going to check out a comedian at the Comerica on Saturday. I'm thinking of renting a car so I can save some money on gas.

However, if I had my UCA's from the DSM group buy I'd probably take my truck to Chris's so he could help me install them J/K
Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #36
Iron Beard

UCA's aren't too bad to do... biggest thing is getting the bolt out thanks to Toyota's wonderful insight of doing the install without the body there. You'll need to probably bend the body panel (inside engine bay) back just slightly in order to get the bolt head out. Install it the reverse way on the new UCA and it'll be way easier from that point.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
With a little bit of help the Tundra can be built into quite the formidable off-road machine. Heres one we just built for a customer from Louisiana.

I'll get together some finished pictures and post them up. We have done plenty of FJ's and Tacoma's and have found like others have already pointed out the ride between the 2 is very comparable, it all comes down to personal preference. Both are quite capable off-road vehicles even in stock form and provide an awesome starting platform for a great off-road rig.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
if you could choose one for an all around off road rig here in arizona, would you pick a tundy, 2nd gen taco, or a 1st gen? and why? just curious
Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
if you could choose one for an all around off road rig here in arizona, would you pick a tundy, 2nd gen taco, or a 1st gen? and why? just curious

I'm assuming this is directed towards me? Honestly I would need more information to make a solid recommendation. Daily Driver? Whats the primary use of the truck? and so on and so forth. Each platform has its own advantages and disadvantages
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
wow nice pics!. i actually did a nice trail there in reddington my fj when i had it. it was awesome.