R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

in a dilemma need help from fellow Arizonians!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
in a dilemma need help from fellow Arizonians!

ok so here is my situation, i was a member here i owned a 2008 tacoma trd sport long bed. i liked the truck but it was riddled with problems so when toyota bought it back i bought a used fj. well i no longer have the fj my current ride is a toyota tundra double cab 2wd.

So here is the dilemma, i hate the ride in he tundra. i go to reddington rd with my son a lot on weekends and any of u that knows that rd it is dirt but not verry rough in my opinion. in the tundra it rides like crap the truck shakes and vibrates on every little rut and bump. my fj rode this rd like a cadilac. i just cant take the tundra ride anymore.. so question is if i get rid of tundra i cant decide on another fj or a trd taco. i will hit a trail now and then nothing crazy i dont think..

i never used my taco on dirt rds or offroad situations so i have nothing to compare to. just the fj and tundra i have been on dirt rds with. so what do u guys think will a trd taco be ok? or just go with another fj. i do plan on getting a couple quads for me and my son down rd but im gonna need a trailer anyway since i will have more then 1 quad and i know fj can tow that. but i also like the taco's..another problem is i cant find a 4x4 taco and my local dealer there all pre runners?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Either the FJ or Tacoma should be fine. Get which ever one more suits your needs.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Either the FJ or Tacoma should be fine. Get which ever one more suits your needs.
X2. Do you need a bed or not?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
honestly i probably dont need a bed, cause like i said i gonna need a trailer anyway to tow the quads.. i like both.. i know fj handles offroad with a smooth ride. how do u guys think ride is on taco offroad? cant be like the tundra which is hideous. also i cant find a 4x4 taco new at toyota in tucson? whats up with that?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
honestly i probably dont need a bed, cause like i said i gonna need a trailer anyway to tow the quads.. i like both.. i know fj handles offroad with a smooth ride. how do u guys think ride is on taco offroad? cant be like the tundra which is hideous. also i cant find a 4x4 taco new at toyota in tucson? whats up with that?
In my opinion, I think the ride between the two is about the same.....all things being equal.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would rock a SUV. Another choice is the Runner.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Coma2010 will become famous soon enoughComa2010 will become famous soon enough

Name: Dustin
Coma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Well, just my 2 cents on this would be..... I always have a truck for the bed just because you never know when you will need it. Also its a pain in the a$$ to hook up a trailer to go to the dump or any little thing you could have just thrown in the back of your truck.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Quote:
In my opinion, I think the ride between the two is about the same.....all things being equal.
ok i trust your opinion. i know u had a taco for a long time.

what about finding a 4x4?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
ok i trust your opinion. i know u had a taco for a long time.

what about finding a 4x4?
Have you checked the phoenix area?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
not yet
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
okay now heres my opinion, the fj is smoother than the tacoma because it has more weight over the rear axle. so the back doesnt hop as much, even over washboard roads.

but if you get out, air down your tires to 20psi even just on a washboard dirt road your ride will be 50 times smoother.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
okay now heres my opinion, the fj is smoother than the tacoma because it has more weight over the rear axle. so the back doesnt hop as much, even over washboard roads.

but if you get out, air down your tires to 20psi even just on a washboard dirt road your ride will be 50 times smoother.
Actually, the rear coils make more difference than the little weight difference.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
think so? i just know that all suvs have a much better ride than pickups.

i have drove in an FJ, not offroad though. just seems like it would be smoother
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
think so? i just know that all suvs have a much better ride than pickups.

i have drove in an FJ, not offroad though. just seems like it would be smoother
The curb weight (average) of a 4x4 FJ is about 4200 lbs. My Prerunner is 4190. SO there isnt much difference in weight. The weight distribution isnt enough to affect the ride, as much as the coild spring suspension does.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
i can tell u the fj was like a cadilac on the dirt roads. chris what is the ride on dirt roads in your taco? the tundra is TERRIBLE!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
i can tell u the fj was like a cadilac on the dirt roads. chris what is the ride on dirt roads in your taco? the tundra is TERRIBLE!!!!!
I have a non stock suspension, so its hard to compare to the tundy. Mine is awsome.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Quote:
I have a non stock suspension, so its hard to compare to the tundy. Mine is awsome.

whats your setup? i would love to get together with u guys on a meet sometime so i can check out your setups...whatever i get it wont stay stock i can tell u that ;-)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Banned
mines really shitty on washboard roads unless im doing 30+

AND i have like 300lbs hanging off the back of my truck
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
whats your setup? i would love to get together with u guys on a meet sometime so i can check out your setups...whatever i get it wont stay stock i can tell u that ;-)
I have icon front and rear. C'mon down, and I'll take ya for a ride
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Quote:
I have icon front and rear. C'mon down, and I'll take ya for a ride
sounds like a plan let me know next time u guys get together!