Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Light on dash is on?......

Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Coma2010 will become famous soon enoughComa2010 will become famous soon enough

Name: Dustin
Coma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Light on dash is on?......

I took my truck in for a oil change and tire rotation and then drove it about 60 miles running around town and now these lights are on. I know the check engine could be they did not reset it after oil change but for it to come on after worries me and the other light is making me wonder if I should even be driving it.....any help/advice would be nice.

Light on dash is on?......-light.jpg
Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
the Check engine light is unrelated to an oil change reminder light.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
the Check engine light is unrelated to an oil change reminder light.

Depending on where he took it, i wouldnt say its totally unrelated..
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Depending on where he took it, i wouldnt say its totally unrelated..
True. The dealer tech. could have changed the oil, by draining it, then hitting the ECU with a hammer.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Would an abs sensor being damaged cause the sqwuiggly icon?

He did say tire rotation

Not sure about the cel.......that's fawked
ABS light would come one if the ABS sensor wa damaged. Not sure what would cause the tract light to be on.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Good point.....the whole trac thing hurts my peanut with all its settings anyhow...glad I don't have 1.
you and me both, Man.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't Trac/VSC come on with ABS and some CEL?

Wife's Rav4 had a bum ECU (we're assuming, dealer never clarified, just swapped it after shotgunning for a week without resolution) and the VSC came on with the CEL.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Doesn't Trac/VSC come on with ABS and some CEL?
If I wasn't a member here, I'd have NO idea what dahell Rich just said. Thankyouuuu, TW!!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Would an abs sensor being damaged cause the sqwuiggly icon?

He did say tire rotation

Not sure about the cel.......that's fawked

I get the first part but what is the cel?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma2010 View Post
I get the first part but what is the cel?
Check Engine Light.

Your top light is NOT because they forgot to reset it after changing the oil.
That light actually says "Maintenance Required".

You have a problem that requires service from someone who knows WTF they're doing... not an oil change place.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Check Engine Light.

Your top light is NOT because they forgot to reset it after changing the oil.
That light actually says "Maintenance Required".

You have a problem that requires service from someone who knows WTF they're doing... not an oil change place.
Yeah good call on the Maint Requ light.

Ahh ok check engine light...cel...

I took the truck to Power Toyota in Chandler.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Quote:
I chose the air filter possibly not being in right.....coulda been a sensor knocked around also......I wanted to say gas cap, but figured they had no reason to touch gas cap.......I didn't stop to think it may have been filled by u/wife and not clicked tight?

Check Engine Lights are a pain unless u have a reader

Nope I am the only one that puts gas in my truck although if my wife ever wanted to I wouldnt stop her

Also I have ran through 3/4 of a tank when the oil change happened.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Double check the MAF and other connections on the air intake. Not sure what they may have gotten into if they removed the engine cover... shouldn't have been needed for the oil/filter change but it may have had to come off for the air filter service.

I'd pull the cover and check anything that looks like an electrical connector. They had to have left something unplugged or knocked something loose.
Double check and make sure the gas cap is on tight.

But failing something obvious, I'd be back at the dealership tomorrow. Don't drive around all week with that CEL on... it could damage the catalytic if it's running lean, or it could decide to go into "limp home" mode and limit your RPM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Run your truck to autozone and at least find out what the code is for.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
X2 on autozone for the code. If it's nothing major pull the battery for 20 min to reset the ECU. If they pulled the battery for some reason it tends to confuse the ECU... I know mine does and the TRAC light will randomly come on a few times then after like the 3rd trip it stops doing it.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
ABS light would come one if the ABS sensor wa damaged. Not sure what would cause the tract light to be on.

Trac control light should be a faulty communication between speed sensor and CU. However, ABS and Brake light should go off as well as those are dependent on the sensor. As for check engine light a sensor might of been knocked while they were doing the change, or could be related to the CODE for the trac control.

Quote:
Double check the MAF and other connections on the air intake. Not sure what they may have gotten into if they removed the engine cover... shouldn't have been needed for the oil/filter change but it may have had to come off for the air filter service.

I'd pull the cover and check anything that looks like an electrical connector. They had to have left something unplugged or knocked something loose. So what Rich said at the end of his post.
Double check and make sure the gas cap is on tight.

But failing something obvious, I'd be back at the dealership tomorrow. Don't drive around all week with that CEL on... it could damage the catalytic if it's running lean, or it could decide to go into "limp home" mode and limit your RPM.
He's got a 2010 and should be under warranty. He needs to take it back and explain to them exactly what happened. Dealer should take care of him from there.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Dammit, Phil! It's because it's much more easily frustrating to ask here than to take it to the dealer.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously lol