R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Anyone here hike or bike the Rim a lot?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone here hike or bike the Rim a lot?

A friend and I are looking to to a 2-day hike, taking our time and camping over night with minimal supplies (literally a 2L day pack each with some Power Bars, a sleeping bag, and a knife). We're looking for a full loop where we can park the truck over night and circle back around the next day, no more than ~10-13 miles total, preferably at higher elevation to keep temps down. We want something moderately challenging but nothing crazy... not a walk down a dirt road and not a hike on the edge of a cliff. Any suggestions? Links to topo maps? (can you still stop at ranger stations for free maps nowadays?)

Any tips are helpful! Thanks

ETA: One final thing I forgot is that we'd like to be relatively secluded despite the short trail we're looking for... We don't want to be tripping over people or camp someplace with a ton of human traffic.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
I gots nothin man....

Have you tried googling trails/areas yet?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I drive the rim during the winter times. Its a very nice area! Sorry I dont have much feedback on the hiking around there but the area is nice so I would image the hiking being nice as well!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to the visitor center.. They have tons of maps and books for you to buy. Also, talk to a ranger and tell them what you want to do, they are pretty helpful and should point you in the right direction. Any of the longer, backcountry trails will probably be secluded enough. When you going? Make sure you pack tons of water, etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I think I still have my trails.com membership... lemme look here in a few. I know there's a trail up near Pinetop not far from my dad's cabin... but I haven't checked it out myself yet. I do plan to do a lot of exploring up there now that I have a place to crash at :P
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I have dirt biked most of the area, I would say just explore the area and find the terrain your looking for, there are really cool hiking trails out underneath the powerlines out there, but there are trails that go bottom to top and then some stay around the same elevation.

And i would take a ton of water. And the fire restrictions are lifted I think cause of all the rain, but when I was there earlier this summer fires weren't allowed
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
you won't catch me walking 18 miles!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
We're not sure if that's the trail we're going to hit, but we're heading for that area and it came highly recommended by three guys on two different gun forums so it must be good. Seems to fit the bill for difficulty and seclusion. NOAA has a 30% chance of rain for Saturday night so we're bringing ponchos and tarps but this might be a miserable weekend or it could be a ton of fun. As long as we avoid biting bugs, poisonous snakes, flash floods, and don't get struck by lightning, we'll be good.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
We're not sure if that's the trail we're going to hit, but we're heading for that area and it came highly recommended by three guys on two different gun forums so it must be good. Seems to fit the bill for difficulty and seclusion. NOAA has a 30% chance of rain for Saturday night so we're bringing ponchos and tarps but this might be a miserable weekend or it could be a ton of fun. As long as we avoid biting bugs, poisonous snakes, flash floods, and don't get struck by lightning, we'll be good.
Lol! I got bit by something when I was upthere 2 weeks ago..not fun.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
I regularly camp up on a loop, right on the rim. Very secluded. 3 camps max along the way.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
http://arizonahiking.org/index.php/j...tings-module-4

You're welcome
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
There are some decent trails listed all over the Rim area on that site. They even rate the solitude of the trail, whether it's dog-friendly, etc. The instructions seem pretty clear, but who knows how old the information is on some of them. Most of the trail reviews at least give the last-known date.