1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shakes when braking at high speed

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Flynn Diesel, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    He's running AT KO's, not that agressive. But I do agree a horrible alignment can lead to vibration in the steering wheel under brake load. And yes 50% pad is perfectly fine. 20% is when you want to replace or at least think about replacing before they go pad backing to rotor....

2. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Great advise, I am a brake junky. Proper brake beding is very important and needed with any new set. Be sure you cool them by driving a bit after doing the hard stop before the next one. Fluid is not the OPs problem but is another highly neglected maint. item most folks do not do.
    Drilled rotors have a tendancy to crack unless they are a high end brand and have the holes cast in the rotor like brembo. Slotted and dimples are better or I prefer neither as most pads have a cut to remove pad debris.

3. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Hell, might as well replace the brake lines, calipers, and master/slave cylinders while you're at it! ;)

4. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.

If the rotors are out of spec, like way out of spec I could see selling pads and rotors with 50% pad left. But were talking 2-3mm our of spec. Not where his are at. You can see a slight hint of dishing but nothing to abnormal. However, without a mik who knows.

5. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Where do you see that? He hasnt posted any pictures yet.

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    I worked on mercedes for 4 years and never had any DTB's on bedding the brakes. Even with the AMG line of cars, unless it was the SLR, SLS, or two piece 4 puck braubus upgrade which was left to the customer to do. What Im getting at is bedding brakes on these low end performance vehicles isn helping much if at all.

LOL now thats an upsell. Like where this is heading. Dont forget a fluid replecement and bleed:cool:

7. Oct 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Flynn Diesel

Flynn Diesel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    •BFG AT KO 285/70/17, XD Addict 17x9, Light Racing UCA’s, Billstein 5100’s, OME 885’s, Toytec AAL, Seat Belt warning disable, Grill Craft Black MX Upper & Lower Grill, VisionX 55/65 watt xenon Low/High Beam lights. FOG Light only Mod. Tailgate theft prevention mod. Wet Okole armrest mod. Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech floor liners. AMP Bed Extender. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Pioneer P4200DVD
    Any recommendations on an honest brake/alignment shop in the Phoenix area? I hear Network on Cave Creek is good.

8. Oct 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    18 Rapturd
    working on mb is where you first went wrong. : p

anyway, bedding in brakes on any end car is the proper method to bed in pads to rotors. you should know that. I have worked on brake systems much higher grade imho than factory amg garbage to lower end a tacos. living in a hot environment and stopping from highest speeds to a complete stop.puts hotspots on the mating surfaces as well as transfers pad deposit on the rotor which leaves an unruly surface. and I mentioned that if braking does not work than more than likely the rotors composition is toast.

9. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Flynn Diesel

Flynn Diesel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    •BFG AT KO 285/70/17, XD Addict 17x9, Light Racing UCA’s, Billstein 5100’s, OME 885’s, Toytec AAL, Seat Belt warning disable, Grill Craft Black MX Upper & Lower Grill, VisionX 55/65 watt xenon Low/High Beam lights. FOG Light only Mod. Tailgate theft prevention mod. Wet Okole armrest mod. Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech floor liners. AMP Bed Extender. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Pioneer P4200DVD
    Had Network check the alignment and it was perfect. Machined the rotors and problem solved.

Products Discussed in

To Top