R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Two Mid Travel Tacomas head to Lochiel, AZ

Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Two Mid Travel Tacomas head to Lochiel, AZ

My girlfriend and I have been taking small trips all over Southern Arizona of the past few years. We usually wait until the temps cool off then I pick a dirt road or a Ghost Town and we take a day and go explore. This weekend the temps in Tucson really cooled off so we took advantage and headed out to see Lochiel AZ. My friend in his Black 2011 Icon Mid Travel Tacoma joined us.

Quote:
Lochiel
This old town was first called Luttrell, named for Dr. J.M. Luttrell, who ran a boarding house and owned the Holland Company Smelting Works. The first post office, opened with the name Luttrell in 1880. For reasons unknown, another post office opened in 1882, called La Noria, just a mile away from the first post office. A year later, they both closed. However, another opened in 1884, with the town’s "final” name of Lochiel. Named for two brothers for the ancestral home in Scotland, this time, the name stuck. The mining community grew to include two smelters, three saloons, five stores, a boarding house, several businesses, and a population of about 400. Though the miners profited, the ranchers were at risk during the early days, as none other than Pancho Villa would often come across the border to steal cattle, before escaping back to Mexico.

But, like most mining towns, its life was short and its post office closed forever on September 30, 1911. However, there was still life in Lochiel and in 1918; a one-room schoolhouse was built as well as a teacherage that still stands today. In fact, in the 1980’s the town wanted to re-open the school and had several applications from teachers interested in the challenge of one-room school house. Unfortunately, there were no students to attend. During this same decade the customs station, serving border crossings was also closed for budgetary reasons.

So basically I wanted to get to the border fence. That was the Goal.

Filled up in Sonita and headed to Hershaw Road.

Some pics

My 2007 Icon Mid Travel Total Chaos Arms

Friends 2011 Icon Mid Travel Icon Arms. Man I need some 285's

My dog "Sprocket" checking out the truck for me....

Success. This is the sign for the old border crossing in Lochiel.

And the truck

Spoke with the land owner he was a little spooked by the recent traffic around the area so we took some pics and moved on.

My other dog "Clutch" hanging out....

To be continued...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man! nice pics! ive been staring at that damn fence and watch it rust for the last 3yrs in douglas but never thought about takin my truck down to take pics...looks pretty cool
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice photos and nice post, do you have any more ghost town stories?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On the way out of Lochiel, I pulled over to shoot some moving pics of the Black Tacoma...

We decided to head toward Nogales for a late lunch. On the way we took a few tails looking for some mines. Unfortunately since this area is a popular illegal trafficking area pretty much every mine was on private property and that meant "NO TRESPASSING" signs on everything that didn't move. And with all the illegal activity in the area I was not about to drive up on to someones land to find out how willing they where to defend there land. So we found one spot that had some old Mine's and some equipment.

Picture from the Mine out on the valley

One of the Mines.

I have seen dozens po pictures of this but in person its pretty cool.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTaco View Post
Nice photos and nice post, do you have any more ghost town stories?
Southern Arizona is full of old Mining Towns. Now that the weather has gotten better I plan to be out exploring at least twice a month.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
thats sweet. awesome pictures man.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
There are mining towns all over Az. I grew up in one up north. Tons of old mine shafts, buildings, smelters, etc. Check out the towns between Black Canyon City and Prescott, including Mayer(my home town), Humboldt, Jerome, and others. If you need any info man, shoot me a pm.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold03TRDTaco is a splendid one to behold
03TRDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was the other tacoma on the trip and it was a lot of fun. Those of you guys in the area should head out there and explore, lots of neat stuff to look at. It's too bad about all the private property keeping people from seeing all the history, though.

Here are some pictures I took:
GTABurnout and I parked in front of the monument to Fray Marcos de Niza:

de Niza was an Italian friar who was the first European to come to Arizona. He came to Arizona in the 1539 2 years after establishing Mexico City

The plaque on the monument:

A windmill by the monument:

My truck by the border fence:

GTABurnout and I:

A good view of the valley from Duquesne Rd

Another picture from atop the mine: