R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Rubbing w/ 285s after TC UCAs

Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing w/ 285s after TC UCAs

I decided to finally install my total chaos UCAs this past weekend. Got an alignment and it is driving great as long as I don't have to turn. Caster is 2.5, camber and toe are just about 0. The UCAs and alignment brought the wheels rearward in the well and now I'm getting some bad rubbing on the rear fender well and probably cab mount. I have 885s on 5100s set at 0. Tires are duratrac 285s on FJ wheels. Aargh, what to do?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
When I added mine the same thing happened.......shop suggested a cab mount chop and pinch weld mod since i wheeled the truck. That helped but I also had to get another alignment and had them add more caster from the lower control arm, basically pulling the tire forward from the bottom! Still ended up with 2.5-2.8 caster?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not an expert on this but you may need some wheel specers
Old 12-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacers will make it worse. Looks like you gatta do the cab moubt chop OP. i just did it today to fit my 285 duratracs.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Completely normal.
By adding UCA's you are able to get the 2.5* caster. The downside is it will rub the pinchweld as you are intimately familiar with. Don't so spacers as they will push the wheels out farther and rub the pinchweld even more. You just need to do a cab mount chop and you'll be all set.
Great looking truck BTW too!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Heres what i did today. Trimmed the bottom of the fender, cut the plastic wheel well liner back, bent the pinch weld over and cut the cab mount. I don't have a welder or have much welding experience so i will probably run it like this for awhile until i find someone to box it for me.
Rubbing w/ 285s after TC UCAs-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356140950.609907.jpg
Rubbing w/ 285s after TC UCAs-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356140978.471905.jpg
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Wheel spacers will make it worse. Looks like you gatta do the cab moubt chop OP. i just did it today to fit my 285 duratracs.
Sorry I misread what the op was asking I though he was rubbing on his uca
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Thinking of something clever
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
dad32509's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Completely normal.
By adding UCA's you are able to get the 2.5* caster. The downside is it will rub the pinchweld as you are intimately familiar with. Don't so spacers as they will push the wheels out farther and rub the pinchweld even more. You just need to do a cab mount chop and you'll be all set.
Great looking truck BTW too!
X2. Also with those 285's you'll have to cut some plastic, but looks like you already took care of that

Edit: sorry different person posting. You'll have to cut some plastic as well
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
Sorry I misread what the op was asking I though he was rubbing on his uca
Ya i have that problem alot also of just skimming through the post haha. In your defense the words rubbing and UCAs are in the title lol.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heres what i did today. Trimmed the bottom of the fender, cut the plastic wheel well liner back, bent the pinch weld over and cut the cab mount. I don't have a welder or have much welding experience so i will probably run it like this for awhile until i find someone to box it for me.
Attachment 185996
Attachment 185997
^^ Yup......Avid will chop the cab mounts for cheap! Got mine done at Desert Rat since they were close and only charged $150 and included welding plates back in and paint!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
^^ Yup......Avid will chop the cab mounts for cheap! Got mine done at Desert Rat since they were close and only charged $150 and included welding plates back in and paint!
Thanks! I'll see when I can get out to see Brandon. I may check out Sierra exp or Sonoran steel as well since they are closer. I might also throw the 265s on until I can get the chop done.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
creedler is on a distinguished road

Name: Max
creedler's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happens to me. Adjust the caster slightly. Better to have your tires wear slightly off than cutting the cab mount IMO.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Caster is not a tire wearing angle.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Attachment 185996
Attachment 185997
Thats how i left mine....only had to cut one lol
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
Caster is not a tire wearing angle.
He means the tire wearing from rubbing on the cab mount i believe
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
creedler is on a distinguished road

Name: Max
creedler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He means the tire wearing from rubbing on the cab mount i believe
Yep thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
I decided to finally install my total chaos UCAs this past weekend. Got an alignment and it is driving great as long as I don't have to turn. Caster is 2.5, camber and toe are just about 0. The UCAs and alignment brought the wheels rearward in the well and now I'm getting some bad rubbing on the rear fender well and probably cab mount. I have 885s on 5100s set at 0. Tires are duratrac 285s on FJ wheels. Aargh, what to do?

This is normal. Cab mount, pinch weld, wheel spacers, and trimming. Thats all thats going to solve it... That or fiberglass fenders. Just the facts of life boys and girls.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #18

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Shit.....I've heard of some trucks having upwards of 4* caster with a tube bumper just to keep the wheels out of the firewall!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #19

Did some Dremel trimming of the flare and fender liners and I can at least drive around without too much chaos. Still will need to bend over the pinch weld and get the cab mount chopped if I have any hope of wheeling it.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Did some Dremel trimming of the flare and fender liners and I can at least drive around without too much chaos. Still will need to bend over the pinch weld and get the cab mount chopped if I have any hope of wheeling it.
Call Brandon at Avid Offroad. He can do both for you real quick. Did mine and a bunch of other peoples. He cuts local AZ guys a hell of a deal.