1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Caution: Earnhardt Toyota

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by T-rev, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    T-rev

T-rev [OP] Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    This is my first and only experience I will be having with Earnhardt Toyota. At roughly 54K miles I noticed my valve timing cover was leaking oil, after searching around here a bit I found it was covered under the 60K power train warranty. I scheduled an appointment and was relieved to know this was going to be taken care of.

When I went to go pick the truck back up the service manager showed me around the truck and briefly talked about the work they did, they even ran it through the car wash. At this point I was pretty satisfied. As the manager was handing me my keys he informed me that my rack and pinion was busted and I was leaking steering fluid all over. We took a look and sure thing, the undercarriage of the truck was soaked with a thick oily fluid coming from the boot of the rack and pinion. Along with this he also added that my spark plugs needed to be replaced, as well as the package for the cabin air filter. With everything I was quoted just short of $1700.00.

I found the spark plugs and cabin air filter strange because I just replaced them a few thousand miles prior to this service, so I went ahead and wrote those off. This really got me thinking though so I stopped by a couple shops to get the rack and pinion looked at. From what they could tell nothing appeared broken and they cleaned up the area for me and told me to keep an eye on my fluid levels and whether more was coming out of the boot. So for the next week or two I looked every day. The fluid levels remained the same, and no more fluid appearing to come out of the boot and no spots on the ground where I regularly park. Now, 10K miles later there are still no signs of damage. I can only suspect they themselves made the truck look damaged in order to get more business.

I figure I would share this experience up here for you AZ guys, I doubt they are the only dealer who would do this kind of thing but this is just a heads up for any of you looking to get service done at this dealer.

2. Jan 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    As in everything, there's good and bad. It's not the first time a dealership got caught with this kind of action. Not too long ago there was a yahoo story about a Chevy dealership that got recorded with the techs saying they are gonna mess up the clutch on a camaro they are servicing and in the recording they were doing a few burnouts.

3. Jan 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Post this up on Yelp.com

4. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Funny how some dealerhships pay attention to yelp.com. Post it on yelp and you'd probably get a phone call from customer relations asking you to come back to re-evaluate their diagnosis and a free oil change though you'd be a fool to come back.

5. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
  6. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
  7. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Is that the one out by Superstition Springs Mall?

8. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Bought parts from that dealer with no issues. I think it's like this with all dealer's service derpts.

9. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Some of the 5 star rateings are probably from the employees.

10. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    They create their own 'fake' accounts and rate themselves really well.

11. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Earnhardt dealerships across the valley have been crooks for the last 20 years or so. Once upon a time they were a major company that people trusted, "That ain't no bull!"

12. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Perhaps, but I'm sure some are better than others. I have been to Avondale Toyota 5-6 times over the last 10 years or so and was treated very fairly. They have demonstrated to me on several occasions that they have no interest in "fixing" something that isn't broken, and have earned my trust. That's said, I'm sure somebody had a bad experience there (and I have no idea how their sales dept is).

13. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    tacosunday

tacosunday GoldMember

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 OR DCSB
    Thats true, out of all the dealerships, I've felt Avondale to be most honest. I've had a few things go missing at Superstition. Also I've been wanting to take the truck in for a transmission flush but am kinda hesitant.

14. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    SuperWhiteSLT11

SuperWhiteSLT11 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    PHILA. PA.
    Vehicle:
    SLT LONG BED
    SUNTEK WINDOW TINT 15% FRONT & 20% REAR DOORS & SLIDER , EGR WINDOW SHADES ,
    I take my truck to Champion Toyota in Phila. The only one I will let service my vehicle is a personal friend I've known for over 30 yrs , he stated working on Toyotas when he came back from Vietnam and is one of the most knowledgeable Techs you can find , however the Honda dealer tried to charge my wife over 500.00 to fix a oil leak that the car never had, and sell her a 750.00 brake job she did not need .

15. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    I go to Camelback toyota and I feel like they are ok people. No complaints.

16. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Under handed for sure.

This reply on Yelp made me lol - "Nothing I enjoy more than being held hostage deep in Mesa. Was getting ready to put a call into the SEALS to come and get me."

Never a problem with big2 (yet)

Az

17. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    This. It's real easy to create a fake account to rate your business. I had my roof done recently and checked out one company who has 5 star rating and I looked closely at the accounts and they were made within a week or two apart from each other.

18. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    azgunrunner

azgunrunner A guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending
    I won't ever deal with Earnhardt's again.. Back in the day when I was a LEO, I went over to their Dodge dealership in Glendale to look at buying a ram truck, when I asked to take it for a test drive they asked for my keys and a copy of my DL. I was shocked that they let me drive off without a sales guy. After about 30 mins I came back and after another 90 mins of jacking around with prices and getting screwed around on my trade, I decided I was going to walk on the deal.

The next thing I know the sales manager comes over refusing to give me my keys back and starts to try a strong arm sales tactic. I quickly informed him that failure to return my keys constitutes theft and that I would be forced to get the police involved, calling my bluff and still unwilling to return my keys, I was forced to notify him that I was a police officer as I put him face down on the desk and put the bracelets on him.

I'm not sure how some companies stay in business for so long using BS tactics like that.. I know times are tough out there but karma is a bitch and screwing someone is just going to come back and bite you in the ass...

19. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Maybe we should "Yelp Bomb" them?

20. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    This just got more interesting! Did you take the bastard in?

Products Discussed in

To Top