R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Punkin Center 4x4 Run, Feb 8 (Fri)

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Punkin Center 4x4 Run, Feb 8 (Fri)

Hey, thought I'd throw this out in case someone might be interested. Myself, a 2006 Tacoma, and possibly a Rubicon will be running a few forest roads into the Sierra Anchas, crossing eastward from Punkin Center. It's a loop that will take us by the Dupont Cabin, a mine, and some generally interesting/scenic areas. Some of the trail is over 6000' so icy conditions may exist depending on weather. A couple stretches could be fairly worn, so some lift, a locker, 32"+ tires, and sliders might be recommended. The only thing that will stop this from happening is if Tonto Creek is running too high to cross, then we'll do a back-up closer to Payson. Should be fun!

Meet-up: Circle K, Shea/Beeline
Time: 8am
Required: 4x4

Oh, I guess I should formally introduce myself. I have lurked on and off at Tacoma World for quite a few years, but used to run a lot with a few other groups. Since getting back from a deployment recently I haven't gone out as much and am looking to do more and possibly meet some new people. I am very experienced with Arizona backcountry in general, being a native and outdoorsman, and kinda-somewhat smart on first-gen Tacomas. Anyways, cheers, and if anyone has questions jump on in.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome man.......I work!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Welcome...

And I might be in, not sure yet though :P
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be at work, otherwise I'd be totally in
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Work... and my burfday
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the welcome! I know it's a pretty random day and most people will be working... but if anyone ends up being able to make it, get my name (Chris) and mobile (623/703-Three932) in case you're running late to the rally point or something.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
2 more days... looks like the weather will be nice, should be fun. Depending on number of vehicles and no major issues, expectation is to be back at Shea/Beeline around 4:30-5:30pm.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it was a good trip, explored a new area. 3 vehicles (4 peeps), a good variety of terrain and conditions, nothing technical but very remote. Great way to blow a tank of gas. No real actions pics though.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful scenery!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
Nice lookin trip. Id like to start exploring the anchas more
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
tnttse is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a fun trip, how far was it from the meet up point?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
It was 62 miles from our meeting point to Punkin Center. We ended up putting in around 50 miles of trail... more than I expected, but our route was wiggly and we did a couple sidebars. It's a bit of a random area, very remote, an area I had been eyeballing for some years to recon but not exactly a place to go consistently to wheel... for me at least. A good area to explore though, you'll go from saguaros to tall pines and encounter everything from nice graded roads (to start) to steep shelf roads to patches of rocky crawling and extremely rutted dirt. It was a bit muddy in some areas and we passed over a dozen water crossings. Most of the trails we were on are designated 4x4 by the forest service... and it was not a lie. Nothing real technical, but you definitely wouldn't want to be caught back there in 2WD when wet like it was for our trip. Tonto Creek was only about 12-15" at its deepest.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. A little ways away from buckeye. Was the exit near gisela?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #14

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnttse View Post
Yeah. A little ways away from buckeye. Was the exit near gisela?
Yeah, 62 miles from our meeting point to the trail but it took me 63 miles just to get to the meeting point... making it 250 miles roundtrip! Left at 6:30am and got back at 6pm... not bad.

The exit was south of Gisela at Punkin Center... we started on FR71.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it would be a fun trail to go explore for a day. Maybe we can plan a trip out there some time in March.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be down. Just got a front skid plate I'm eager to test out.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnttse View Post
I'd be down. Just got a front skid plate I'm eager to test out.
Nice! Haven't been wheelin with you since the night run at the White Tanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
tnttse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
Nice! Haven't been wheelin with you since the night run at the White Tanks.
Yeah man, I havent been wheeling in forever. My trigger finger... err right foot is getting itchy for some 4lo.