R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Best wheeling between Phoenix and Flagstaff

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Best wheeling between Phoenix and Flagstaff

Hey ya'll, so I'm headed down to AZ for the last week of March on vacation. I'm going to be in Phoenix, traveling to Sedona/Flagstaff later in the week. I get 2 days to go offroading, and I want to make the most of them. I know there are tons of awesome trails in the area, I'm just trying to narrow them down to ones that are fun/worth my time. What do you guys recommend? I'm interested in rock crawling or just some trail exploring that's moderately challenging, but nothing so serious that I'm going to cause damage (within reason, I know sh*t happens sometimes). If there are any outstanding or favorite trails of yours, fill me in! Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would highly recommend Broken Arrow and Soldier's Pass in Sedona, they are short yet very cool. Other interesting Sedona trails that are a little longer are Greasy Spoon, Oak Creek Homestead, and Schnebly Hill.

Rattlesnake Canyon is OK, right off the Stoneman Lake turn-off and goes north about 8 miles. A nice longer, easier trail is Squaw Peak which starts at exit 278 and goes east to some nice views. There are some good trails around Cleator (Bumblebee turn-off) including Turkey Creek and some popular trails off Table Mesa road. Lastly, you might want to hit up Cinder Hills OHV area outside Flagstaff, neat area and lots of fun.

Those are my suggestions that are close to I-17, if you want more info on any PM me.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
The cinders in Flag is also pretty cool to check out
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Thanks guys! I will definitely check these options out. I heard something about an old road from Sedona to Flag... Is that (a.) a trail that exists for one thing and (b.) any good? Sounds like a long trip if anything.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Yes i have done it, its very scenic!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Consistently Irregular
How long did it take you? How many miles is it?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Only real road from Sedona to Flag is 89a, paved. You must be talking about Schnebly Hill Rd, a dirt road that climbs out of Oak Creek Canyon easterly and ends at I-17 below Flag. The first part (5-6miles) is high clearance with really good views, the second part (5-6miles) is easy road through the forest. Depending on how often you stop it takes maybe an hour. If you're going into or out of Sedona, it's the best way to go. And if you do hit Sedona, you must do Broken Arrow and Soldier's Pass. They are classic and only about an hour long too.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCladTRD View Post
How long did it take you? How many miles is it?
Like Chris said it took just over an hour with some traffic and one stop for a little bit

Broken Arrow is as stated above, an absolute must!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Schnebly is scenic... but a really really horrible road. Your back will hate you... even with mid travel
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Only real road from Sedona to Flag is 89a, paved. You must be talking about Schnebly Hill Rd, a dirt road that climbs out of Oak Creek Canyon easterly and ends at I-17 below Flag. The first part (5-6miles) is high clearance with really good views, the second part (5-6miles) is easy road through the forest. Depending on how often you stop it takes maybe an hour. If you're going into or out of Sedona, it's the best way to go. And if you do hit Sedona, you must do Broken Arrow and Soldier's Pass. They are classic and only about an hour long too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Like Chris said it took just over an hour with some traffic and one stop for a little bit

Broken Arrow is as stated above, an absolute must!
Really diggin the input! I have family in Sedona, so I will for sure be close to those trails. After a little research, I think I'll more likely than not do all 3 of them! That could be accomplished in a day, you think? The second day I may either try to get to the Cinder Hills OHV or take a longer trail or 2. Is Agua Fria national monument worth stopping at on my way outta Phoenix?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Schnebly is scenic... but a really really horrible road. Your back will hate you... even with mid travel
It's ok, my back already hates me as it is.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
You can do all three of those trails in Sedona easily in a day.

Agua Fria is nothing much, pretty flat and barren, roads are blah. Definitely recommend Cinder Hills for a couple hours. If you really want to do another (2hr) trail off of I-17 Squaw Peak is probably your best bet. Not too long, decent terrain, good elevation climb, great view at top. Exit 278, go east (Prescott Nat Forest) on forest road 732 all the way to the top of peak.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
You can do all three of those trails in Sedona easily in a day.

Agua Fria is nothing much, pretty flat and barren, roads are blah. Definitely recommend Cinder Hills for a couple hours. If you really want to do another (2hr) trail off of I-17 Squaw Peak is probably your best bet. Not too long, decent terrain, good elevation climb, great view at top. Exit 278, go east (Prescott Nat Forest) on forest road 732 all the way to the top of peak.
Ok cool, I guess I'll skip that then. Squaw Peak huh? Looks pretty cool. I'll check it out.