R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Jeep driving High Voltage junkie
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts

First off, thanks to Chris 4x4 for changing the thread name!

After having a blast with some of you guys on the Rug Road trip, I figured that it was time to make this thread a little more than just a one trip thing. Mh.meier and I do a lot of trail runs and camping and this thread is to serve as a cordial invite to whoever wants to join, as well as view pics and vids of the events.

This first post will serve as a cover page for the Rug Road trip intro, as well as for links to other pages in the thread for other trip intros. Also, I'm open to suggestions/ideas for other places to camp and trail run so don't hesitate to shoot me some ideas So, without further adieu....

JeepAndrew's AZ Trail Runs/Campouts Thread!

***Upcoming trip; October 24-26, TW Dragoons Takeover 2014!***

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post8834617

Prior trips

Total Wreck Mine Underground Shenanigans!http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...pouts-157.html

Links to previous trips:

*Page 134, intro to: Snowtank's Big Lake/White Mountains Beat The Heat Summer Camp-out! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post7011191

*Page 61, intro to: Dragoon Mountains Camp-out And Mine Run! ***unfortunately was deleted, now linked over to Dragoons Trip 2014***

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post6715920

Dragoons Trip 2013 pics begin on page 89: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...ml#post6846008

The first run was Rug Road. A trail this awesome requires an equally awesome group of wheelers, and I gotta say, everybody delivered. From Brian conquering "the chute" pre-runner style, to the stripper pole mod making its' appearance in camp that night, and the ensuing hilarity that followed, this was truly a trip to remember. This trip was also memorable on a downside; unexpected changes in trail conditions caused a reasonable amount of trail damage to be inflicted on the group...

Rug Road Trip Pics:

Page 44: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-44.html

Page 46:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-46.html

Page 49: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...mpouts-49.html

Also: https://picasaweb.google.com/1128250...eat=directlink

Here it is ladies and gents, by popular demand...

The Official Epic Rug Road/Carpet Hill Trail Run & Camp-out!!

Saturday/Sunday, March 23rd/24th.

A little info on the trail:

Formerly a mining/ranching access trail, the infamous 23 mile Rug Road snakes across the northern part of the rugged Galiuro Mts between Mammoth and the small town of Klondyke.

Beginning with the uphill climb from Mammoth on Copper Creek Road, Rug Road dives off to the left around the 8 mile mark and begins its northeastern winding path across the remote Galiuro Mountains. After several miles of dry creek and canyon driving, you come to the highlight of this 23 mile trail, Carpet Hill, a section of off-camber, rock strewn, heavily eroded shelf trail descending across the side of Boulder Mt and into Dry Camp Canyon. Several somewhat tight switchbacks and an elevation drop of over 700 feet in just 3/4 of a mile make this section one of the steepest around and not for the faint of heart. After ascending from Dry Camp, awesome views are awarded from the often windy vista at Table Mountain Pass. Afterwards, the trail turns east, wandering past the abandoned Table Mountain Mine and smelter, as well as the now empty ranch cabins and stables at Parson's Grove and Bleak Spring. At the east end of the trail, rocky steps, numerous obstacles and Moab-style scenery abound as the trail drops into Turkey Creek, finally ending in Aravaipa Canyon, where huge cottonwood trees and sandstone canyon walls tower high above, and water flows nearly year-round.

Hope that was a good enough description

***EDIT*** Meeting time has been moved back from 8:30-9am to 7-8am. This will allow the group to see more of the points of interest along Rug Road, as well as allow time to make a side trip to the ghosttown site of Aravaipa. Also, setting up camp in the dark sucks. We should be able to avoid that with the extra lead time.

Meeting place will still be at the Valero Gas Station at 15240 N Oracle Rd in Catalina at around 7-8 am on Sat the 23rd. For anybody lacking 4wd or just not wanting to drive the trail, there will be plenty of room to ride in other rigs! Also, the Basha's store next to the Valero station has a well-lit parking lot and will be a good place to leave trucks for the weekend. After everybody arrives, we'll leave from there and head to Mammoth to top-off tanks before we head into the Mts. The trail takes about 6-8 hours to run including stops at the historic/interesting parts. Once we get to Turkey Creek at the east end, camp will be set up and the drinking/merriment will commence! The next day we will go back the way we came.

On the Monday before the meet I'll PM my cell # to everyone on the attending list, just in case you need to contact me for any reason about the trip.

Here's the lineup so far:

JeepAndrew
mh.meier
mbmack1
snowtank
Infra
amad4x4
bmmccoy007
TroCo & neslerrah
Robby655
SoldierSpike
b4iceman
george2pak+1
R0ckm
05Aztacoma
Jonesn13 (maybe)
T4C0CH40S (maybe)

Should be a blast and hope to see everybody out there!

Here's a few pics of the amazing scenery along the trail:

Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Boom! First! 100% in for me i will be there and i will bring a crazy hat!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
mbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mbmack1's Tacoma Gallery
Im f-in IN! Was that description ur own words? I never realized u were so articulate. Haha
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Even though I wont be attending this. Here is a good info link I found. It says a locker is highly recommended so you TRD off road guys are good.
http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...d/rugroad.html
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Is this something i should have a lift for?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
mbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mbmack1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAndrew View Post
Yessir! All mine!
Well done sir!

And snowtank- yes... Yes it is. U should have a lift for everything u do!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
whys the rum gone

Haha i know i should have one. 3 more months! 3 more months! And i didnt read the link. I just went off your delightful explanation of this wounderful place. Oh and bravo sir on that narrative! I cant wait to see it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone can possibly make this trip, DO IT. Rug Road is great! Neat mines, cabins, and don't forget Turkey Creek Indian Ruins. Not many stretches of road will have this much variety either, starting with classic sonoran, getting some higher elevation with trees, a rocky/Moab section, then awesome green and wet Turkey Creek. At least I hope the green has started there, kinda early. Plenty of amazing camping sites at the end of Turkey/Aravaipa Creeks:

If you don't have 4x4 at least have a locker. There are some steep sections where traction will keep you safe. Have fun, Tread Lightly!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
whys the rum gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
Andrew (snowtank) if need be you can park the truck in Mammoth and I'll have 3 open seats in my ride, plus plenty of room in the bed for gear
Thanks. But im going to push my truck all the way. I did rice peak. I should be able to do this to. But we shall see when it comes down to go time haha. And that bottle is still in opened!? Wow kudos to you!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #18

mbmack1's Tacoma Gallery
Andrew (tank)- cant wait to see it lifted. Just giving u shit bro. Haha

Jason- ur the man both for the patron silver and for being a crazy fuckin marine and sleeping in a hammock when its prob still gonna be cold as shit!

Cant wait to see the ghost town. Everybody ready for some hills have eyes type shit? Lol
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Jeep driving High Voltage junkie
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
If anyone can possibly make this trip, DO IT. Rug Road is great! Neat mines, cabins, and don't forget Turkey Creek Indian Ruins. Not many stretches of road will have this much variety either, starting with classic sonoran, getting some higher elevation with trees, a rocky/Moab section, then awesome green and wet Turkey Creek. At least I hope the green has started there, kinda early. Plenty of amazing camping sites at the end of Turkey/Aravaipa Creeks:

If you don't have 4x4 at least have a locker. There are some steep sections where traction will keep you safe. Have fun, Tread Lightly!!
This site in the pic is actually where I was thinking we could camp, its our usual spot. Gorgeous place.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
whys the rum gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmack1 View Post
Andrew (tank)- cant wait to see it lifted. Just giving u shit bro. Haha

Yeah i know. No biggie im use to it considering my girl has the lifted tacoma and im still stock.

Jason- ur the man both for the patron silver and for being a crazy fuckin marine and sleeping in a hammock when its prob still gonna be cold as shit!

Im thinking i might join in with this hammock idea.

Cant wait to see the ghost town. Everybody ready for some hills have eyes type shit? Lol
Bring guns and extra batteries for the flash lights lol

Edit: i answered all those questions after each question. And it put it installed in the quote.

Products Discussed in this Thread