R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Have you seen my rear passenger wheel?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
az_yota is on a distinguished road
az_yota's Tacoma Gallery
Have you seen my rear passenger wheel?

So I had my truck in for service a few weeks backs at alocal Toyota Dealership. Service included flush front and rear diffs, flush transmission and new belts and pulleys. I just like the piece of mind that some chimp wasn’t working on my truck.

For the sake of time and still a long story:
This evening I felt the rear-end kind of sliding a bit and didn’tpay it too much attention A few miles later I took a turn and the truck started sliding even more. Next thing I hear some really loud popping and serious knock. I pulled over only to find my hub sitting on the bottom/inside of therim. Seconds later the wheel pops from under the truck and the hub slams down onto pavement. One stud was pushed all the in and the other studs were chewed to hell.

So just what the hell would make all my lugs jump off the studs?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Tire wasn't tightened back down? If that was the case, I'm surprised you wouldn't have felt the wobble though.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit. I need pics!!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Trusting the dealership failure.
Not checking up on dealership work failure.
Tire rotation failure.
Not knowing weird feelings/noises on your truck failure.
Lug failure.
Resale value failure.
More wasted free time dicking with dealership about it failure.

Live, learn.........and default to never trusting dealer service until proven otherwise, and not even then.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like they undertightened the lug nuts.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
What dealer was this?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_yota View Post
Service included oil change, tire rotation, flushfront and rear diffs, flush transmission and new belts and pulleys.
With most repair shops, dealer or independent, the more stuff you ask them to do in one session, the more likely something will be screwed up.

Remember, the shop doesn't have one mechanic working on your truck continuously. One apprentice may remove drain plug and go away while another apprentice rotates the tires. The truck may be moved to a different section of the shop for belt and pulley replacement by a licensed tech. It's easy for something to slip through the cracks due to improper job handoff.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Wow... I smell serious compensation or a good lawsuit. Remember their neglect put you and everyone around you in mortal danger. Hit them hard
Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
az_yota's Tacoma Gallery
It could have been real bad and I'm sure some poor guy will take a beating or may be looking for a new gig.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Was EMT Cert. for 2 years in CO.
Name: Spencer
Jonesn13's Tacoma Gallery
X3 on Dealer. Even if it "wasn't their fault". I would appreciate the info...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I think you mean something like this:

Happened to me, the dealer and I came to the conclusion that someone tried to steal the wheels while I was at work, couldn't get the locking nuts off the wheel and left it that way. The only thing holding the wheel on the axle is the lock nut and a bent stud. Was getting on the highway going 70 mph, and it happened. Luckily my dealer is a good one and they fixed everything for free.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i lost a wheel on the highway last year. lugs fell off
Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
az_yota's Tacoma Gallery
I'll post up the long full story next week. I'll include the dealership and service center too.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
According with his description the dealer wasn't anywhere close to his tires.