R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Soldier's Pass/Broken arrow run 3/29/13

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Soldier's Pass/Broken arrow run 3/29/13

Alright guys, I've mostly finalized my vacation plans, and I will be in Arizona next week! I'm planning on four wheeling it up on the Sedona trails on Friday! (Thursday will be Squaw peak and then Schnebly hill into Sedona).
Friday morning at around 9:30 am (for sure) I'll be at the Morgan Rd. Trail headgetting ready to start Broken Arrow, and after that I'm headed for Soldier's Pass! I'll probably be bringing my dad and/or my brother.
Anyone who wants to join us is welcome! If you're good with a camera or at spotting, you're even MORE welcome
Depending on the time and how we feel after those trails (I'll probably want to grab lunch if I haven't already by then), I may head out to Greasy Spoon to finish the day off! Let me know if you want to come and do all the trails, just some, or just show up and look for me there! I'll be in my silver extracab.
I'll be a little more sure on the time once it gets closer, but I'm trying to shoot for 9:30. If I don't think I'll be able to drag anyone out of bed by then, I'll let ya'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fun trails, I'd go but I'll be expo-ing Death Valley 24th - 30th. Nice truck!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Fun trails, I'd go but I'll be expo-ing Death Valley 24th - 30th. Nice truck!
Oh man, sounds like fun! This is the perfect time to be out there! Thanks yours is pretty sweet too!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: BIG G
george2pak's Tacoma Gallery
I might join you , I just need more info about the trip and meeting location.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
AZ4point0 is on a distinguished road
Name: V
AZ4point0's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Arrow and Soldiers Pass are good trails, (kinda short though)
check out Diamond Gulch its a bit technical in a few spots but a nice Trail
its out on Forrest Road 152C Boynton Pass Road
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4point0 View Post
So.. pretty much this are trailes around Sedona? I'm in the Phoenix. Do you have a place where to meet up? Like a gas station?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4point0 View Post
Greasy spoon and diamondback gulch are the same trail from what I've heard : ) george2pak, I was going to have the initial meeting spot be the trailhead for broken arrow trail.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCladTRD View Post
Greasy spoon and diamondback gulch are the same trail from what I've heard : ) george2pak, I was going to have the initial meeting spot be the trailhead for broken arrow trail.
Thank you , I'll let you know if I make it!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
If this was my off friday I would head up. I love Sedona...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
x2 Love wheeling in Sedona
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
AZ4point0 is on a distinguished road
Name: V
AZ4point0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCladTRD View Post
Greasy spoon and diamondback gulch are the same trail from what I've heard : )
i think you are right
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Consistently Irregular
Bump. Weather's great guys! Went up through Bumblebee and Cleator yesterday for a warm up run. Took rd. 101 and came across an abandoned Jeep with water up over the fenderwells. Took an alternate route and just as I got stuck the Jeep's owner rolled up in a little 9 hp golfcart. Found out at a bad time that that my winch didn't work, but fortunately he brought a bunch of stuff for traction, and after helping me get dug out, I turned around, attached the winch cable to him, put it in reverse and pulled him out.

And now my truck is sufficiently dirty for Sedona
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
flagstaff is on a distinguished road
flagstaff's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a fun trip, would a stock 1996 tacoma 4x4 make it on soldier pass?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
TheRedHorseman will become famous soon enough
TheRedHorseman's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't this be on Saturday?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaff View Post
A stock 4x4 can get through any trail in Sedona. The hardest thing out there is Broken Arrow's staircase... and even then you should be perfectly fine.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
A stock 4x4 can get through any trail in Sedona. The hardest thing out there is Broken Arrow's staircase... and even then you should be perfectly fine.
I probably wouldn't take a stock 4x4 2nd gen on all of the trails up there. Clearance will be an issue on some of the step-ups no matter what angle you take. There are 2 or 3 spots I can think of that even push the limits of a stock bumper even with a 2.5" lift. Last I was out there, there was one big step up to the area where Mushroom Rock is. Stock bumper would have scraped there if you weren't extremely careful. I don't want this guy to go int here stock and be thinking that it's easy.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaff View Post
You should be fine. From what I've heard there are plenty of bypasses and turn around points. Depending on how many people show, you may be able to get spotters to help you choose the best lines to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
Why can't this be on Saturday?
Because I'm leaving Saturday afternoon. And I'm SDA, so I'll be in church Saturday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I probably wouldn't take a stock 4x4 2nd gen on all of the trails up there. Clearance will be an issue on some of the step-ups no matter what angle you take. There are 2 or 3 spots I can think of that even push the limits of a stock bumper even with a 2.5" lift. Last I was out there, there was one big step up to the area where Mushroom Rock is. Stock bumper would have scraped there if you weren't extremely careful. I don't want this guy to go int here stock and be thinking that it's easy.
Stock 1996 could probably make it, just depends on how much damage he's willing to take Since my winch turns out to not be working, I won't be as prepared as I normally would be, but hopefully we'll have plenty of people out there to help if something happens.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of turnarounds on that trail. It's tight, but there's a plowed turnaround or "passing" area about every 100-200' so the Pink Jeeps can work around each other and everyone else.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Lots of turnarounds on that trail. It's tight, but there's a plowed turnaround or "passing" area about every 100-200' so the Pink Jeeps can work around each other and everyone else.
Figured as much. They're crawling all over here! Saw probably 3 dozen by the time I got off Schnebly Hill rd. I drove all the way to the top to find out it was closed, so I took it from Sedona as far up the hill as I could go. Nice drive. Not too tough at all, so you can enjoy the scenery. Only saw one other Yota on the trail, Jeeps are pretty much king here. Can't wait to get out on the tough stuff and show em up tomorrow!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Consistently Irregular
Update: Alright, 9:30 is when I'm starting out for sure now. If anybody else wants to come out and meet me at Broken Arrow trailhead, I'll see you there!