R.I.P. JLM

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Arizona

Notices

Needed: someone with quad/electrical experience (N. Phoenix)

Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Needed: someone with quad/electrical experience (N. Phoenix)

Update: wiring figured out, turns over but won't start.

I have a '95 Polaris 300 4x4 that had some 'work' done before I got it. The key was MIA so the ignition was removed along with the choke.

I think the kill switch on the handle bar didn't work so an external run/kill switch? was installed. It ran just fine this way.

By the time I took possession, the switch was ripped off and I have no idea which wire goes where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
That switch you have looks like a typical switch. So I'd assume the wiring is:

Ground
Wire to motor/kill
wire for illumination (if it lights up)

Pull the tape off the switch it should tell you where ground is and the switch wire goes.. Play with it and see what combo works.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
Theres your problem... its a Polaris!! Get a Honda, love life. Naaa like AW said, play around with them and find which it is. itll take less time then it does for someone to drive there
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUAviator View Post
Theres your problem... its a Polaris!! Get a Honda, love life. Naaa like AW said, play around with them and find which it is. itll take less time then it does for someone to drive there
The quad was free so...
I didn't want to 'blow something' by messing with it but maybe I'll mess with it at some point myself. I've zero electrical knowledge.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
You're right. Black is probably ground. Try that first. Then plug in the other two and if it doesn't work, swap them.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
What part of Az are you in? I might be able to swing by and lend a hand.

Does the switch light up?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
is one ot the plugs different color? I you take the electric tape off does it say anything?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
You're right. Black is probably ground. Try that first. Then plug in the other two and if it doesn't work, swap them.
I may try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
What part of Az are you in? I might be able to swing by and lend a hand.

Does the switch light up?
Union Hills/7th St, N. Phoenix. I don't really want anyone to go out of their way but I will compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
is one ot the plugs different color? I you take the electric tape off does it say anything?
I'll check right now.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

No markings but... I'm starting to wrap my mind around this. I checked continuity on the switch and found the two ends to have continuity and the center seems to be the ground. I'll hook the battery up shortly and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get this figured out?

The switch looks like a lighted SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) where the light turns on when the switch is turned on.

You should have 3 connections. Power, ground, and load. (the center connection would be your load) or what you want 12v supplied to when the switch is on.

I'm going to make a HUGE assumption here and say that in your picture black would be ground, red would be +12v and red/white would be the load. That's how it SHOULD be wired up. But who knows what this guy did before you.

I'd also recommend if there isn't one there already adding a fuse somewhere in the +12v supply to the switch.

I'm up in the N valley I pretty much drive past 7/union daily on my way to/from work if you need a hand.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhavin42 View Post
Did you get this figured out?

The switch looks like a lighted SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) where the light turns on when the switch is turned on.

You should have 3 connections. Power, ground, and load. (the center connection would be your load) or what you want 12v supplied to when the switch is on.

I'm going to make a HUGE assumption here and say that in your picture black would be ground, red would be +12v and red/white would be the load. That's how it SHOULD be wired up. But who knows what this guy did before you.

I'd also recommend if there isn't one there already adding a fuse somewhere in the +12v supply to the switch.

I'm up in the N valley I pretty much drive past 7/union daily on my way to/from work if you need a hand.

Thanks for replying! I have not got it figured out yet. I'd love a hand if I can't figure it out.

This is what I was about to post:

Ok, if the prongs from left to right are A,B & C then;

with the switch off I have no continuity at all;
with the switch on, I have continuity with A & C and B & C but NOT A & B.
Which one should be the ground prong and which for the red?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Smoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Smoove06's Tacoma Gallery
The middle pin will always be the "LOAD" terminal. Either end can be the "GROUND" and "HOT"
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove06 View Post
The middle pin will always be the "LOAD" terminal. Either end can be the "GROUND" and "HOT"
Thank you.

I'll get there, I'm just a little slow.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

And to be clear, "Load" is where the power is going?

Also, one red wire connects next to the black (ground?) wire and the other red wire connects a few inches away(down). Should I be able to I discern anything from this?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Smoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Smoove06's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, "Load" refers to what you are trying to turn ON/OFF.

It might be safe to assume that the 2 wires that are closely connected to each other are the POWER and GND wires, but again it is just an assumbption. Use your volt meter to verify.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove06 View Post
Yes, "Load" refers to what you are trying to turn ON/OFF.

It might be safe to assume that the 2 wires that are closely connected to each other are the POWER and GND wires, but again it is just an assumbption. Use your volt meter to verify.
Ok, will do. I'm waiting for my new battery to charge at Autozone...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
Something with your continuity test doesn't sound correct. If you have cont Between A&C and B&C that means you should also have continuity between A&B the fact that you don't doesn't quite make sense.

Since:
A is connected to C and
C is connected to B
A must be connected to B through C.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
You are pretty far away from me (I'm in Chandler) so I'm not sure when I can make it out there.

I'd get a new switch just to be on the safe side.