1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help Deciding

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by bkrdave36, May 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Should I go with a bed rack/tent combination or with a fiberglass shell (ala Leer,etc)?

The main reason is for shelter when camping, which I only do occasionally mostly in the spring and summer (sometimes in the rain due to monsoon).

Bed rack idea is similar to this ....

[​IMG]

with a Cascadia tent (or similar)

[​IMG]

This set up gives me flexibility if I want to haul the tent or not, where a shell I'm pretty much "married" to all the time (I don't have a place to store the shell off my truck.)

BUT ... the shell will likely give me the guarantee of dryness if I am out in the rain.

So I'm stuck as to what I should do.

Any suggestions from practical experience, etc will be greatly appreciated! I'm guessing cost difference between the two options will be negligible so that really isn't a factor at this time.

And this is what it will be going on ....

[​IMG]

2. May 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    gottahot1

gottahot1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T.D.
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 BLUE double cab 4x4 short bed Sport TRD
    'Caribe' fog light mod - Power port always on mod - Defrost A/C override mod - Illuminated 4x4 switch - Read diff breather relocation
    It kinda sounds like you made up your mind already - rack and tent. I would personally prefer that option too, as a fiberglass topper seems to limit the usefulness of the truck by limiting the size of what can be carried in the bed. True, you might not need to carry a fridge all the time but not being able to do so when you really need to would drive me crazy.

Another consideration is being able to store gear and sleep under the topper at the same time. Some people have built platforms but they generally seem to be fairly low to the bed floor and really limit what can be stored underneath.

I have neither option so take my comments as anecdotal, but it sounded to me like you are leaning toward the rack/tent option. Oh, I do have a roof top tent and although have not spent any monsoon nights in it, it seems that it would keep me plenty dry in the rain.

Good luck with your decision.

3. May 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Rack and tent would be my choice.

4. May 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    HolyReptar

HolyReptar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bry
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Some Bolt ones here and there
    dave I would say go the rack and tent combo... That way you can pop the rack and tent off when you need to move stuff and you can store the rack/tent during winter when its not being used.

5. May 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Is a rack that much easier to take off the truck compared to a shell? I guess a shell requires two people compared to a rack that only needs one?

6. May 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    Maxx

Maxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maxx
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB AT
    Skinny 35’s, 5.29’s, KDMax, 6112’s, 14” Short Bodies, Deavers
    I'm running a SnugTop and I love it. I still have lots of storage and most of all its secured storage. It's really easy to move but yes you need a second set of hands to do it. It doesn't support the weight of a roof top tent but there are ways. I am looking into having a small support cage built inside of it so that it will support the weight.

7. May 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    desertdrifter will be at the meet tomorrow, He has a sweet AVID bed rack and tent! Check his set up out!

8. May 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    I'd love to be at the meet up, but I have something else going on. Can someone post pics of desert drifters set up for me? Thanks!

9. May 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    yeah I was having that same decision problem, I choose to do the Front Runner Roof rack which supports 600lbs in t
    he stock taco mount locations (3 sets per side versus the 2 of the factory rack) and they offer a quick release setup. I will later either do a camper/shell to lock things away but don't trust a 150lb RTT and people on a fiberglass shell, and bracing the inside is the same cost and a lot of trouble. Wind noise is not noticeable but my XM radio has reception problems so I canceled it. Sierra Expeditions did an excellent install as usual!

I also choose the roof because I wanted access into the cab from the below room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  10. May 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Looks good. But if I go with the bed rack I will have it made so I can remove it at will.

11. May 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Personally, i'm doing a rack with a roof top tent on my truck hopefully this year sometime...

If I still owned a house, I was going to rig up a pully system so I could latch on, quick release the rack with tent mounted, and pull it off the truck one person. The setup will be wayyyy to heavy for 97% of people out there no matter how you set it up without some sort of mechanical assistance...

12. May 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
  13. May 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light

I have a softopper on my truck and have 2 different bed racks for my RTT. One is a Box Rocket bed rack that requires me to remove my softopper, and it was modified so it sits 11" above the bed rails. My other bed rack allows me to keep the softopper on the truck and it mounts over the softopper and has rotopax mounts on each side of the bed rack and my RTT mounts on top of the bed rack.

14. May 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    TheGloryFades

TheGloryFades Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
  15. May 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    [​IMG]

This is Desert Drifters set up. I took this picture at the meet like you had asked. He didnt have the tent installed. I saw it when it got mounted up @ AVID. The tent has a aluminum floor and just folds out and looks great. He said that the wind didnt effect it too much and he makes the treck down to Tucson once a month. I would PM him with any other questions. Not a cheap set up, but fully functional. :D

16. May 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    The more research I do ... and to meet my needs (meager as the are - lightweight, easily stored when not on truck, and easy to get on and off truck, and inexpensive) the soft top type of tent is looking better and better to me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really helped me solidify a decision.

Products Discussed in

To Top